Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

THE official candy/gifts to FA/Purser/flight crew thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres

I figure theres bunch of threads about this, but not one entirely on this.

so tell your good/bad stories about giving candy gifts to the crew.

I mainly want to know as I am making my first INTL F trip and was thinking if I should bring something for the crew or not.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
You will get responses both ways - those of us who do bring things for the crew (usually just on long haul flights for me) and those who will flame you for giving something to somebody "just doing their job".

Follow your conscious. I like to think being nice helps in some small way to make the world a better place.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Oh, this will be rich. You'll be flamed for succumbing to the "tip culture mentality", as well as for having "ulterior motives" and trying to "get something" from the crew.

I sometimes hand out small boxes of chocolates that I get for $4.00 or so at Target. I see some of these crews over and over again and it doesn't hurt, IMO, to recognize the fact that many of them work hard to make your flight pleasant. Falls under the "treat others as you would want to be treated" mantra, IMO.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You'll be flamed for ... trying to "get something" from the crew.
A good way to avoid that is to wait until the end of the flight.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A good way to avoid that is to wait until the end of the flight.
Then it truly is a gift with no strings attached.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

yeah I wouldnt give it until the end of the flight,
and yes you can flame me all you want, im sorry i know its just there job and all, but I like doing nice stuff where it is deserved in the aviation business as I am in the industry (work for an air traffic company)
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
I sometimes will grab some chocolates for the FA's. If I am in an airport shop getting some anyway for wife/kids or whatever- I figure why not throw another handful of goodies and give them to the FA's. When it is in your power to be nice to someone and brighten their day, why not?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K , HH Gold VIP, Hertz Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
I have to admit I sometimes get my flight crew a bag of jelly beans. I usually just buy a second bag because I love jelly beans and it is a perfect in-flight snack. They always love them and it always pays off for me in:

A. I am that kind FFer who thought of them and is on thier side.

and

B. It has gotten me in-flight upgrade (only once), free drinks and BOB boxes.

However, do I expect anything when I give my gift out? No.

/flame away...

Last edited by PRPechek; Mar 31, 2010 at 2:13 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: One Pass, Amex, HH
Muffins

I normally take early flights. I usually buy a few packages of mini muffins. One package I share with those around me, and I give the FA's the other.

Once or twice I have received a bottle of wine in return, however I do not expect anything in return. The smile I receive is payment enough. They are usually very surprised.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
as many of you know, it's tootsie-pops with me . I do it simply to say thank you to the employees at united (g/a's, lobby staff and flight crews) with the hopes that it also make at least one of them smile and help them to forget about that one pax who oh so pleasant at the start of their day . i don't do it expecting anything in return and just a silly little thing from someone who has spend 30 years in a service industry and has walked in those shoes so i know what it's like
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I often chat to crew members in the galley and we sometimes talk about our upcoming holiday trips. A couple of times a crew member said they were soon going to visit country X and I just happened to have a small bit of money from country X in my pocket.

So in full view of other crew members, I handed over the money and said "this is not a tip!, it is just a small gift". And since I phrased it that way, it was gratefully accepted.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, United Airlines Prem. Ex.
I always give something (chocolates, candy ect..) on the long haul flights and have never asked for anything in return. Normally it keeps my drinks filled which makes me happy.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:56 pm

On long trips, I bring about a dozen small boxes of macadamia nut chocolates from Hawaii. If I get good service from a F/A or hotel front desk clerk, I'll give them away. I always leave a box for housekeeping. Doesn't hurt to recognize and show appreciation for good service nowadays.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTraveler
On long trips, I bring about a dozen small boxes of macadamia nut chocolates from Hawaii. If I get good service from a F/A or hotel front desk clerk, I'll give them away. I always leave a box for housekeeping. Doesn't hurt to recognize and show appreciation for good service nowadays.
thats what im getting at....i just want a smile and thank you in return, yes its there job, but there still WAITING on me, so i wanna do something nice in return
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:57 pm

A passenger sitting next to me on a recent flight gave all the FAs some type of travel sized hand sanitizers that they all seemed to like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.