FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What happens if you have no money for flight home (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1060091-what-happens-if-you-have-no-money-flight-home.html)

nomoney Mar 6, 2010 10:41 pm

What happens if you have no money for flight home

What happens if you don't have a return ticket, no money to buy a ticket, and have to fly from the Australia to UK?

aaron1262 Mar 6, 2010 11:00 pm

put it on a credit card? If you're traveling you should always have one on you.. otherwise you could have a friend or parents wire you some money...

How did you get into Australia without a return/ongoing ticket?? Alot of countries make sure of this before admittance.

Non-NonRev Mar 6, 2010 11:12 pm

The consulates of some nations (or consular sections of the Embassy) will make emergency loans to allow a stranded traveler to get home. If you are a citizen of the UK, I would check with the nearest consular office in Australia:

http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/a...her-locations/

Christopher Mar 7, 2010 2:10 am

I don't think that British overseas missions give loans. However, they might be a good source of advice and it would be a good place to start here, assuming you are a British citizen or other British national.

Are you also an Australian citizen?

B-HQC Mar 7, 2010 5:57 am

If your eVisitor entry authorization or other visa has been expired for some time you could report yourself to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and they may deport you to your country of origin.

little bunny Mar 7, 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by aaron1262 (Post 13526803)
put it on a credit card? If you're traveling you should always have one on you.. otherwise you could have a friend or parents wire you some money...

How did you get into Australia without a return/ongoing ticket?? Alot of countries make sure of this before admittance.

it's funny you said that, because i was stranded in rome after my parents stopped my charge card :mad: of course, i was running away from home so couldn't really blame them but i thought i was going to be a homeless. i had some cash in my bag but it had been stolen from me a few days prior to that(!), so i went to the concierge at the hotel and asked for money to buy a cheap ticket back home.

fimo Mar 7, 2010 7:16 am

I have chatted with diplomats in the US and SG (iirc) embassies who mention that their preferred mode of assistance is to help contact family/relatives to wire money over. It's quite routine really, with tourists getting robbed or losing all their money/travel docs.

alanR Mar 7, 2010 8:26 am

Originally Posted by little bunny (Post 13527936)
it's funny you said that, because i was stranded in rome after my parents stopped my charge card :mad: of course, i was running away from home so couldn't really blame them but i thought i was going to be a homeless. i had some cash in my bag but it had been stolen from me a few days prior to that(!), so i went to the concierge at the hotel and asked for money to buy a cheap ticket back home.

Running away from home, using mummies charge card and staying at a hotel with a concierge - the young these days don't know they've been born

tkey75 Mar 7, 2010 8:58 am

Please let this be a troll. My faith in humanity may be shaken otherwise.

Where's the vomit emoticon?

Billiken Mar 7, 2010 9:00 am

Originally Posted by tkey75 (Post 13528398)
Where's the vomit emoticon?

LOL +1

Gnopps Mar 7, 2010 9:36 am

Wow, people sure do run away from home in different ways.

starlanet Mar 7, 2010 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by B-HQC (Post 13527745)
If your eVisitor entry authorization or other visa has been expired for some time you could report yourself to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and they may deport you to your country of origin.

I'd go with the loan idea but no with the deportation advice.
Hmmm, if visa expired or entry authorization has expired I don't think I will look good to have been deported for future travel. Probably they won't allow him/her in that country again and other countries may look into it, they might consider them a potential illegal immigrant. I'm not in the know of this type of legal situations, but in my opinion deportation won't look good. Some countries ask you (if you are a visitor) the question "Have you ever been deported from any country" among others when applying for a visa or when arriving at a port-of-entry (the US, for example).

u2fan Mar 7, 2010 5:46 pm

Deportation is bad advice. If you overstayed, you will have to leave, but if no carrier errored in bringing you into the country, no specific carrier is responsible for bringing you back. The government will not just do it free and neither will an airline. I suspect they will hold you in some kind of 'cell' while you figure it out.

alcathiax Mar 7, 2010 11:24 pm

If you're stuck in Australia and in Melbourne, consider contacting the Travelers Aid Society (linky). I know that the TAS here in the U.S. offers a variety of social services to help stuck travelers get to their destinations.

Doug_1970 Mar 7, 2010 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by nomoney (Post 13526748)
What happens if you don't have a return ticket, no money to buy a ticket, and have to fly from the Australia to UK?

Why don't you get a job, save some money, then buy a ticket back home ? Unconventional I know, but you'll be surprised how effective it is.

If however, you can't get a job because you don't have a work permit, then why have you allowed yourself to run out of money with no way to replenish it ?

If you had your money stolen, or it was lost, then just claim on your travel insurance.

If you don't have travel insurance, then let this be a valuable lesson in life.