Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Multiple stopovers in USA

Multiple stopovers in USA

Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
Red face Multiple stopovers in USA

I am flying from Sydney to New York in Septemebr but would also like multiple stopovers. I think I can book a flight from Sydney to NYC with a stopover in LAX but would also like to stop in Vegas, SFO and HNL.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we could do this economically as I am sure it would be expensive to book them as internal flights in the USA

Cheers

Phoebe
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Some ideas.

1. Book your transpacific flight as a cheap, fixed roundtrip -- SYD-SFO-SYD -- then try booking a separate multi-city ticket starting and ending in SFO: SFO-LAS-NYC-SFO. You don't say if you want to visit LAX or not, but if you do, you could enter / leave the US at LAX, and book LAX-LAS-NYC-SFO-LAX.

2. Nest a series of roundtrips: SYD-SFO-SYD, then within those dates book a cheap SFO-NYC-SFO, then work side trips from San Francisco to Vegas and L.A. into your San Francisco residency.

3. Consider substituting ground transport on SFO-LAX or out to LAS, for the scenery.

4. You can buy inexpensive one-way flights on Virgin America, JetBlue or Southwest for some of your desired segments. Look at www.sidestep.com which will show you all major airlines except Southwest; for that, go to www. southwest.com.

5. Check to see if United or Delta offer Australians domestic travel passes with a certain number of internal segments for a set price, such as QF offers Americans visiting Oz.

5. The one that is difficult to accommodate is HNL. A SYD-HNL-SFO-LAS-NYC-LAX-SYD ticket would be pricey, and it's a significant backtrack from the US west coast obviously. Still, I guess you could built a set of cheap nested roundtrips involving HNL as well: SYD-HNL-SYD, then HNL-SFO / LAX-HNL within those dates, then one-ways for all the others.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Feebster
I am flying from Sydney to New York in Septemebr but would also like multiple stopovers. I think I can book a flight from Sydney to NYC with a stopover in LAX but would also like to stop in Vegas, SFO and HNL.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we could do this economically as I am sure it would be expensive to book them as internal flights in the USA

Cheers

Phoebe
Internal flights from LAX to Las Vegas can be really cheap. In the States, all flights lead to Vegas...LOL LAX and SFO are about 400 miles apart or a 6-7 hour drive. Maybe do an open jaw stopover if allowed and drive one way?

HNL will be the real problem. It's a 7-8 flight from LAX. But depending on how much time you have for your holiday you might can get a reasonable roundtrip flight.

For flights LAX - LAs look at www.southwest.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.