Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is checked baggage delivered during stopovers?

Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:07 am
yrs
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP

My apologies in advance if this is a very basic question. I am new here, and have been reading of success stories of awards in F with one or more stopovers.

My basic question is for stopovers of a day or longer, is checked baggage delivered at stopover city and re-checked when the journey resumes? Please advise. My apologies again if the question is too basic.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Yes, of course. (Some stopovers can last for months.) Just make sure that your baggage claim check indicates that the bag is checked only to your stopover airport.

For connections, as opposed to stopovers, bags will typically be checked through to the final destination. (Exceptions may be permitted in certain circumstances.)

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 6, 2010 at 9:43 am
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes, of course. (Some stopovers can last for months.) Just make sure that your baggage claim check indicates that the bag is checked only to your stopover airport...
Good advice. However, you may only receive your claim checks after the bag itself has disappeared down the conveyor into the bowels of the system and it's too late to do anything about an error. There's no reason not to ask the agent politely "You're checking them just to London, right?"
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Efrem
Good advice. However, you may only receive your claim checks after the bag itself has disappeared down the conveyor into the bowels of the system and it's too late to do anything about an error. There's no reason not to ask the agent politely "You're checking them just to London, right?"
yes, it is better to double check. A good agent will confirm where you want your bags checked before doing the printout.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Even on direct flights. always always always confirm where your bags are going before they disappear. Mistakes happen and are much easier to correct before the tags get put on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.