Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pilots pointing out landmarks below: Love it or hate it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots pointing out landmarks below: Love it or hate it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
I like it because i'm sure that we as passengers would not normally be looking out our window the whole flight and would love the opportunity to see a famous or interesting landmark from 30,000 feet. Im sure one woulod get quite the different perspective:0)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I must fly boring places since I don't normally hear announcements like this, other than the approach to LAS. I do like to take my GPS along so I know what is out the window no matter where we are. I hope that the current state of paranoia does not end up in a ban on GPS in flight.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Love it! ^

As often as I fly the SEA-PHX run, I'm always glad when the pilot announces a Rainer or Grand Canyon view coming up. I don't necessarily want to spend all my time watching and waiting, but they are views I always enjoy.

And for places I'm not familiar with, it's great to have someone point out something to see.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by bbrotman
Do you like it...when the pilot tells you the Grand Canyon is outside your window?
Not when I'm en-route MEL>DXB! Captain, I think we took a wrong turn somewhere!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold, BAEC, FR Top Tier
Another +1.

It doesn't seem to happen often nowadays, although I remember a recent TATL when pilot pointed out a massive iceberg with (almost visible?) polar bears on it.

Most memorable experience was back in 1985 or so, when BA captain on take- off from Mauritius announced it was his final flight pre-retirement and said something along the lines of:: "I know it's against all rules, but I am going to show you what this 747 can do".

He then did a full circle of the island at ultra low altitude, with wingtips seemingly almost touching the ocean all the while. Everyone was entranced, including all flight crew. We could see sharks circling, smaller fish, the coral etc.

Fantastic...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:22 pm

Thanks to noise-cancelling headphones, I don't hear any announcements, which suits me just fine.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
highlight of my flight

I was on a flight from PER-ASP and the captian was kind enough to point out Ayers Rock as we passed by it.^
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Loved them, fandabiedozie! (You have to be Scottish/British and of a certain age to understand that) I suppose the IFE map display arguably now negates the need for announcements from the flightdeck. I hate flights where the captain makes a brief announcement just before or just after take off concluding with I'll update you just before landing. . . fourteen hours later.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I like it - even if it is just telling us we are passing over Redwood Falls ATC on our way into MSP. It is nice to have a general idea of where you are and especiallly nice if it is an interesting view.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Count me as another ^^ vote.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Aeroplan E, AAdvantage
Landmarks or Events

I remember a flight a while back where the pilot briefed us following takeoff from DTW. He mentioned that since it was such a nice day, on the trip to LAX, we would probably have nice scenery. As we approached the mountains, he came back on and identified some by name even mentioning historic events that took place on or around them.

Similarly, a few years back, we were waiting on the tarmac for takeoff. Some military birds (fighters and transport) were coming in enroute to an airshow. The pilot provided us commentary and was able to identify which squardrons they were from; it really surprised me when he got the Canadian squadrons correct! Loved it.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Another who loves those landmark announcements.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Yup, I love the announcements. I like looking out the window but not for 5 hours straight. Thanks to the announcements I've seen things like the big meteor crater in Arizona, the Mississippi River, and Yosemite National Park.

I know what to look for when flying into DCA but for first time visitors I appreciate it when the captain announces you will see great views of DC when landing on runway 19.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Depends on my mood and what I'm doing. If it's a day flight and I'm listening to my MP3 player and reading the paper, I don't mind. If it's a night flight, or I'm using the IFE, I get annoyed/impaitent pretty quickly.

A number of years ago, I was flying on the AS SEA-BOS redeye. The pilot woke me and several others up to say "and on the right side of the aircraft, you can see Grand Rapids, Michigan!" It struck me as a strange city to point out from 37,000 feet at 3 AM local time.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by CMK10
A number of years ago, I was flying on the AS SEA-BOS redeye. The pilot woke me and several others up to say "and on the right side of the aircraft, you can see Grand Rapids, Michigan!" It struck me as a strange city to point out from 37,000 feet at 3 AM local time.
That's strangely hilarious!

I don't mind pilots pointing out the landmarks at all, even though I'm an aisle seat girl and it always disrupts the IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.