Things that annoy me when I travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things that annoy me when I travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:29 pm
Suspended

A $.5 pair of ear plugs would address all of those problems. Is there any particular reason why you don't take proactive steps to avoid these issues? You could knock off 5/8 of the issues you've listed. The other 3/8's don't happen that much in my experience.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:36 am

Talking

Originally Posted by chandi
Me tooo

As a traveler,Is it hard to be patient??????+3
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Passengers crowding the boarding gate while first/business/elite passengers are boarding. The plane won't leave without you, and your seat is assigned.
+1 Move out of the way and let people board!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrewbashuk
for me its travelers who can't spell.
Or who don't capitalize properly.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
People having louder than necessary cell phone conversations, especially those using hands-free devices when not really needed.

See signature line below...............
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
I do not want to hear your very important cell phone conversation, especially after boarding and the FA has said the phones should be turned off. These people seem to think they have to yell in to the phone for the other person to hear them. Well, everybody else around you can hear you. Most irritating.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Some of the things that annoy me about air travel:

1) Pax yammering loudly on their phones while standing in the gate area or on the aircraft during boarding or after landing. I understand quick calls to say "I've landed, I'll be out at the curb in a few minutes," but lengthy calls should wait for a more private moment, especially for loud talkers.

2) Airline agents who refuse to process last-minute upgrades at the gate out of sheer laziness, instead letting premium-class seats go out empty.

3) Lack of (or tardy) information from the cockpit in the event of rolling delays (those that are 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 20 minutes, and so on). Nothing is worse than sitting at the gate 10, 20, 30 minutes past departure time, with nothing happening and no information forthcoming!

4) TSA. 'nuff said. But in all seriousness, there are 2 things that upset me the most:
a) shoe removal
b) TDCs who take 60 seconds to examine each and every ID with the magic light
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Elites who think their .... doesn't stink because they have a little black/gold/silver card that entitles them to a few trivial perks while they look down upon the people that don't spend their lives in airplanes, referring to them as "amateurs" or "kettles".

Honestly, I've seen just as many obnoxious behaviors from elites as I do the so called "amateurs". Although, in the amateurs' case, it's usually because they don't know any better whereas with the elites it's because they think the rules and the tenants of common courtesy don't apply to them.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Honestly, I've seen just as many obnoxious behaviors from elites as I do the so called "amateurs".
Same here.

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Although, in the amateurs' case, it's usually because they don't know any better whereas with the elites it's because they think the rules and the tenants of common courtesy don't apply to them.
(I think) I agree. I'm assuming you actually meant to say the tenets of common courtesy.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: krisflyer, spg, priority club, Hyatt Plat,
Basically the TSA should just ban the following from flying when they turn up at the airport:
- anyone wearing a hat
- anyone wearing more jewellery that what they can carry in one hand
- anyone with a small dog in their hand/man bag
- seat kickers, headrest leaners, avod punchers and basically anybody who will assault other passengers by seat proxy
- anybody carrying home made Indian/Mexican food in their hand luggage
- business jerks flying coach who intend to use their laptops for the entire flight
- guys in polo shirts 2 sizes to small with the collars up
- anyone wearing sunglasses inside
- anybody who looks like they will try to sell you crack
- anybody who looks like they want to buy some crack
- lightweight drinkers who can't handle their alcohol intake
- any person in coach who will occupy their seat beyond capacity and encroach onto neighbour seats
- anyone who loudly and repeatedly swears, uses street slang or ebonic references
- anyone with a copy of 'The Sun' newspaper
- kids with ADD
- the illiterate
- the semi-literate
- anyone in fancy dress (save it for halloween, Reverend)
- hippies and other eco-nuts
- vegetarians and vegans
- really ugly people
- anyone with poor personal hygiene
- douche bags
- anyone who looks sleazy or greasy
- general riffraff
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
Man oh man, have I been waiting a long time for a thread like this. Here are the air travel things that drive me crazy:
Don't forget:

• Selfish people who refuse to lower the shades when I want to watch IFE or sleep on a daytime flight, and they want to mindlessly stare out the window like a housecat.
  • People who glare at me and/or demand that I lower my window shade when I need natural light to work or read . . . or even worse, when I'm admiring the breathtaking view one can only get from 35,000 feet in the air, and they selfishly want a perfect view of whatever lousy movie it is they're watching as our beautiful planet rolls by below.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Forgot my personal favourite.

The person who gets assigned the aisle seat, but when you get to your seat they are sitting in your window seat and seem to think, despite your ticket saying 'a' and there's 'b', that they have some entitlement to the window seat due to deciding on the spot that thats where they want to sit.

Extra points when asking them to move does nothing and a FA is required to resolve.

^
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by andrewbashuk
for me its travelers who can't spell.
for me, it's travellers who assume that the American way of doing things is the only way...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Children annoy me.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Children annoy me.
The way i see it, every irritating child on a plane has an equally irritating parent.

Kids will be kids and its up to parents to prepare their kids for air travel and set and enforce boundaries. So when i see a kid repeatedly kicking the seat in front, the person to blame isn't the kid, but rather the parent in the next seat pretending to ignore whats going on so they can enjoy the 5 minutes peace and quiet while their kid is annoying someone other than them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.