Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Travel&Dining

TravelBuzz

What countries can airlines NOT fly over nowadays?

What countries can airlines NOT fly over nowadays?

Old Jan 7, 10, 10:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,020
What countries can airlines NOT fly over nowadays?

In the past, USA based airlines could obviously not fly over countries like the Soviet Union, but much has changed since then and now I suspect almost all airlines can fly over Russia. So, what countries are left that do not allow USA based carriers, or any other foreign based airline to violate their airspace? I am pretty sure North Korea is one, but who are the others?

Do we fly over Cuba to get to Jamaica and the Caymans, or do we go all the way around??
Winkdaddy is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 1:38 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Posts: 295
I think only Air Koryo (the NK airline) and some Chinese carriers are allowed in NK airspace. Maybe Aeroflot.

KE, OZ, JAL, ANA, and all US carriers give NK a wide berth, which adds time to some flights to ICN. Korean Reunification would likely shave 45-60 minutes off my ORD-ICN flight.
Finite Elephant is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:03 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dalat, Vietnam
Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Posts: 934
According to the Korea Times, NK airspace is commonly used:

"Under an inter-Korean agreement signed in 1997, South Korean passenger airplanes have been allowed to fly over North Korea's airspace since April 1998.

According to the ministry spokesman, 5,260 flights passed through the North's territorial airspace and the North was paid up to $6 billion in fees last year."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...tegoryCode=116

I don't believe the North can afford to be so picky!
Daawgon is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Posts: 927
The Taj Mahal & Machu Picchu are among them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-fly_zone
lad2 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:38 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,410
nice link
also Mt. everest is also no fly zone. : )
libuser is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:56 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orlando, FL, US
Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Posts: 3,613
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
In the past, USA based airlines could obviously not fly over countries like the Soviet Union, but much has changed since then and now I suspect almost all airlines can fly over Russia. So, what countries are left that do not allow USA based carriers, or any other foreign based airline to violate their airspace? I am pretty sure North Korea is one, but who are the others?

Do we fly over Cuba to get to Jamaica and the Caymans, or do we go all the way around??
AA flies over Cuba.
djk7 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:57 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 16,849
Originally Posted by Daawgon View Post
According to the Korea Times, NK airspace is commonly used:

"Under an inter-Korean agreement signed in 1997, South Korean passenger airplanes have been allowed to fly over North Korea's airspace since April 1998.

According to the ministry spokesman, 5,260 flights passed through the North's territorial airspace and the North was paid up to $6 billion in fees last year."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...tegoryCode=116

I don't believe the North can afford to be so picky!
Can those numbers possibly be correct? That comes out to $1.14 million per flight. Surely it would be less expensive to fly around??
milepig is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:10 pm
  #8  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,310
Over $1m in fees per flight? That doesn't sound right.

Oops - beaten by Milepig while posting.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:46 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OOL Australia
Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Posts: 2,440
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Over $1m in fees per flight? That doesn't sound right.

Oops - beaten by Milepig while posting.
Could be Zimbabwe $
Lonely Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 5:05 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern Nevada
Programs: DL,EK
Posts: 1,644
I am pretty sure US airlines are prohibited from Sudan, but since nobody flies routes near there it is not much of an issue. I flew FlyDubai to Khartoum and the only others on the ground were AirArabia, Sudan Airways, and several UN aircraft.
DesertNomad is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 5:37 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,211
Originally Posted by djk7 View Post
AA flies over Cuba.
Cuban airspace has been open for flyovers for a while now. Probably something like 10-15 years IIRC. Just like Russia they make money on it and they need the cash so it is possible.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 5:55 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, NH *G, Marriott Silver Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 9,562
AFAIK El Al is not allowed to fly over Saudi Arabia (and some other Arab countries) and has to go around when it does its TLV-BOM route. For comparison, MS does CAI-BOM with a scheduled time of 5h30 whereas TLV-BOM is scheduled for 7h45. CAI-BOM is just over 200 miles longer.

Cheers,
sadiqhassan is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 6:44 pm
  #13  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,310
Originally Posted by DesertNomad View Post
I am pretty sure US airlines are prohibited from Sudan, but since nobody flies routes near there it is not much of an issue. I flew FlyDubai to Khartoum and the only others on the ground were AirArabia, Sudan Airways, and several UN aircraft.
A number of airlines fly to Sudan, admittedly none from USA.

From how to get to | Sudan - bmi, Egyptair, Lufthansa, Turkish, Royal Jordanian, Kenya, KLM, Emirates, and others.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 8:37 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ
Posts: 6,118
It's funny this topic comes up because I just read Andrew Ross Sorkin's "Too Big to Fail" and there is an early passage where Hank Paulson calls Dick Fuld in the middle of a business trip to India and tells him things are about to hit the fan in the US.

Fuld pledges to hop in his Gulfstream ASAP and asks if Paulson can get him clearance to overfly Russia, making a quicker polar route possible.

Paulson is then said to tell Fuld even he, as Treasury Secretary, can't get that kind of special treatment. Fuld ends up doing the milk run back to the US via IST and OSL.
YYZC2 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 11:30 pm
  #15  
tjl
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Posts: 4,239
Originally Posted by Daawgon View Post
According to the Korea Times, NK airspace is commonly used:

"Under an inter-Korean agreement signed in 1997, South Korean passenger airplanes have been allowed to fly over North Korea's airspace since April 1998.

According to the ministry spokesman, 5,260 flights passed through the North's territorial airspace and the North was paid up to $6 billion in fees last year."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...tegoryCode=116

I don't believe the North can afford to be so picky!
But it looks like the DPRK is only allowing overflight over some of its sea territory, not over its land area, or the sea area close to land:

tjl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread