Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What countries can airlines NOT fly over nowadays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond

In the past, USA based airlines could obviously not fly over countries like the Soviet Union, but much has changed since then and now I suspect almost all airlines can fly over Russia. So, what countries are left that do not allow USA based carriers, or any other foreign based airline to violate their airspace? I am pretty sure North Korea is one, but who are the others?

Do we fly over Cuba to get to Jamaica and the Caymans, or do we go all the way around??
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
I think only Air Koryo (the NK airline) and some Chinese carriers are allowed in NK airspace. Maybe Aeroflot.

KE, OZ, JAL, ANA, and all US carriers give NK a wide berth, which adds time to some flights to ICN. Korean Reunification would likely shave 45-60 minutes off my ORD-ICN flight.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
According to the Korea Times, NK airspace is commonly used:

"Under an inter-Korean agreement signed in 1997, South Korean passenger airplanes have been allowed to fly over North Korea's airspace since April 1998.

According to the ministry spokesman, 5,260 flights passed through the North's territorial airspace and the North was paid up to $6 billion in fees last year."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...tegoryCode=116

I don't believe the North can afford to be so picky!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
The Taj Mahal & Machu Picchu are among them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-fly_zone
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:38 pm

nice link
also Mt. everest is also no fly zone. : )
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
In the past, USA based airlines could obviously not fly over countries like the Soviet Union, but much has changed since then and now I suspect almost all airlines can fly over Russia. So, what countries are left that do not allow USA based carriers, or any other foreign based airline to violate their airspace? I am pretty sure North Korea is one, but who are the others?

Do we fly over Cuba to get to Jamaica and the Caymans, or do we go all the way around??
AA flies over Cuba.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Daawgon

"Under an inter-Korean agreement signed in 1997, South Korean passenger airplanes have been allowed to fly over North Korea's airspace since April 1998.

According to the ministry spokesman, 5,260 flights passed through the North's territorial airspace and the North was paid up to $6 billion in fees last year."

Can those numbers possibly be correct? That comes out to $1.14 million per flight. Surely it would be less expensive to fly around??
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Over $1m in fees per flight? That doesn't sound right.

Oops - beaten by Milepig while posting.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Over $1m in fees per flight? That doesn't sound right.

Oops - beaten by Milepig while posting.
Could be Zimbabwe $
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I am pretty sure US airlines are prohibited from Sudan, but since nobody flies routes near there it is not much of an issue. I flew FlyDubai to Khartoum and the only others on the ground were AirArabia, Sudan Airways, and several UN aircraft.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djk7
AA flies over Cuba.
Cuban airspace has been open for flyovers for a while now. Probably something like 10-15 years IIRC. Just like Russia they make money on it and they need the cash so it is possible.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
AFAIK El Al is not allowed to fly over Saudi Arabia (and some other Arab countries) and has to go around when it does its TLV-BOM route. For comparison, MS does CAI-BOM with a scheduled time of 5h30 whereas TLV-BOM is scheduled for 7h45. CAI-BOM is just over 200 miles longer.

Cheers,
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I am pretty sure US airlines are prohibited from Sudan, but since nobody flies routes near there it is not much of an issue. I flew FlyDubai to Khartoum and the only others on the ground were AirArabia, Sudan Airways, and several UN aircraft.
A number of airlines fly to Sudan, admittedly none from USA.

From how to get to | Sudan - bmi, Egyptair, Lufthansa, Turkish, Royal Jordanian, Kenya, KLM, Emirates, and others.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:37 pm

It's funny this topic comes up because I just read Andrew Ross Sorkin's "Too Big to Fail" and there is an early passage where Hank Paulson calls Dick Fuld in the middle of a business trip to India and tells him things are about to hit the fan in the US.

Fuld pledges to hop in his Gulfstream ASAP and asks if Paulson can get him clearance to overfly Russia, making a quicker polar route possible.

Paulson is then said to tell Fuld even he, as Treasury Secretary, can't get that kind of special treatment. Fuld ends up doing the milk run back to the US via IST and OSL.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:30 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Daawgon

But it looks like the DPRK is only allowing overflight over some of its sea territory, not over its land area, or the sea area close to land:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.