Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What countries can airlines NOT fly over nowadays?

What countries can airlines NOT fly over nowadays?

Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:50 pm
djx

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold, Delta Silver (The lowest tier trifecta)
Originally Posted by tjl
But it looks like the DPRK is only allowing overflight over some of its sea territory, not over its land area, or the sea area close to land:
I noticed that on my LAX-ICN flight a couple months back, we avoided NK land altogether, but what I didn't know at the time was that we were still flying over their airspace. Good map!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:21 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
The other thing that was unstated in the article (from which the map came from) is that there seems to be a choice of overflights to get to ICN from North America:

a. Russia and North Korea (land). Probably not allowed at any price by North Korea.
b. Russia and North Korea (sea territory). Used by the "Kamchatka Route".
c. Russia and China (land). China probably charges too much or does not let overflights at any price (note that even Hong Kong SAR based Cathay Pacific avoids overflying China land other than the Hong Kong SAR when flying from HKG to non-China destinations). Otherwise, it may be an attractive way to fly from the "Kamchatka Route" but go over China to end up west of the Korean peninsula where ICN is.
d. Japan. Used by the "North Pacific Route" which is 30-60 minutes slower than the "Kamchatka Route", according to the map.
e. Russia and Japan (sea territory). Would be a longer version of the "Kamchatka Route".
f. No overflights. Not sure if it is possible to avoid overflying any other country by flying south of Japan (since Japan controls some islands in the area and other islands in the area are disputed), but it would likely add quite a bit of flying time even if it were possible.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Do American based airlines fly over Iran?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I would be surprised if they did, but only because there really isn't any reason to. What destination other than Iran itself would require an Iran overflight.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I would be surprised if they did, but only because there really isn't any reason to. What destination other than Iran itself would require an Iran overflight.
US to India?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Based on the NW DC-10 emergency landing in Iran afew years ago, I'm assuming they fly over it.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
A number of airlines fly to Sudan, admittedly none from USA.

From how to get to | Sudan - bmi, Egyptair, Lufthansa, Turkish, Royal Jordanian, Kenya, KLM, Emirates, and others.
Yes, I meant no US-based airlines fly near there.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: DL,EK
US to Dubai (ALT-DXB on DL).

I was on this flight last month and while we did not fly over Iran (we stayed a few miles west of it), I can see that depending on wind it'd be done. When I flew EK DXB-JFK we flew over Iran.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
Can those numbers possibly be correct? That comes out to $1.14 million per flight. Surely it would be less expensive to fly around??
That could actually be South Korean Won, which would work out to about USD$1000 per flight, which sounds more reasonable.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Originally Posted by tjl
The other thing that was unstated in the article (from which the map came from) is that there seems to be a choice of overflights to get to ICN from North America:

a. Russia and North Korea (land). Probably not allowed at any price by North Korea.
b. Russia and North Korea (sea territory). Used by the "Kamchatka Route".
c. Russia and China (land). China probably charges too much or does not let overflights at any price (note that even Hong Kong SAR based Cathay Pacific avoids overflying China land other than the Hong Kong SAR when flying from HKG to non-China destinations). Otherwise, it may be an attractive way to fly from the "Kamchatka Route" but go over China to end up west of the Korean peninsula where ICN is.
d. Japan. Used by the "North Pacific Route" which is 30-60 minutes slower than the "Kamchatka Route", according to the map.
e. Russia and Japan (sea territory). Would be a longer version of the "Kamchatka Route".
f. No overflights. Not sure if it is possible to avoid overflying any other country by flying south of Japan (since Japan controls some islands in the area and other islands in the area are disputed), but it would likely add quite a bit of flying time even if it were possible.
The last two ORD-ICN KE flights I've been on have taken the land route over Russia and China and hooked back up to ICN. Prior to that, they went down the coast of Russia to northern Japan, then turned back north to ICN. I've never been on a KE, OZ, or UA flight that went over land in North Korea. Since the DPRK navy takes shots at ROK fishing boats, it probably wouldn't be advisable.

South Korea has normalized relations with China and KE and OZ fly to several Chinese cities, so I can't imagine flying over China is a big deal. Same with Russia.

Oh, and I agree that the fees listed above must be in KRW, so divide by 1000 for a rough USD equivalent.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Forgot to add: ICN-ORD usually goes a little south to pass over Japan, then follows the jet stream straight across the Pacific, so no need to circle around the Kimster.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:12 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Finite Elephant
South Korea has normalized relations with China and KE and OZ fly to several Chinese cities, so I can't imagine flying over China is a big deal. Same with Russia.
With regard to China, I once flew on CX, a China (Hong Kong SAR) based airline, from HKG to SFO. The flight path taken avoided flying over any land in China other than the Hong Kong SAR, even though this lengthened the route. Interestingly enough, the flight path went directly over Taiwan.

In other words, there may be other reasons why an airline might (sometimes) be unable to fly over China.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:06 pm

Sure they do. A couple of years ago a NW plane flying BOM-AMS ran into trouble and had to make an emergency landing at THR - the plane landed, the problem was solved, and it continued on its way.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by djk7
AA flies over Cuba.
Just as Cubana flights to Canada spend the vast majority of their flying time in US airspace.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Finite Elephant
Korean Reunification would likely shave 45-60 minutes off my ORD-ICN flight.
Or, Korean Reunification could eliminate all US-ICN flights altogether

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.