Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best First or Business Class seats Transatlantic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Hi,

All too many of my recent transatlantic trips have been on Continental. If you've flown them, you know their BusinessFirst seats are pretty terrible. I have become extra spoiled by my recent trip on Singapore Airlines A380. Of the airlines who fly direct from a NY area airport (LGA, JFK and EWR are all fine) direct to Paris, who has the best seats, and on which aircraft?

I know Air France claims to have "flat beds" but they apparently recline 170 degrees, not 180, even on their new A380 service. Does anyone offer a truly flat bed? I don't believe anyone operates the A380 on this route other than Air France, but it has also been a while since I have been on a 747, so a flat bed + 747 combo would also be nice.

If no one offers a truly flat bed, what would be the top-5 airline/airframe suggestions for best seats and best service NYC to Paris. Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:40 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

I've never flown with them, but apparently the OpenSkies product is rather good.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

I've never flown with them, but apparently the OpenSkies product is rather good.
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that is, could you elaborate?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
OpenSkies is a BA subsidiary that flies from either JFK or EWR to ORY.
Check out their homepage for their cabin.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
The following are the true flat bed TATL products that I have flown. However, none fly direct to Paris; personally, I'd connect.

BA J ("Club Word") is good.
VS J ("Upper Class") is good hard product, but variable (at best) service - and available as CO codedshare, and earns CO EQM when VS coded.
UA new business is fairly good.

BA F is excellent, though compared with some of the other new F suites may be falling behind (haven't flown any other TATL F, but UA and AA both look excellent).

I don't like the ski-slope flat bed products; I've flown the following TATL J, and none are a patch on the true flad bed prod

Last edited by dgwright99; Dec 21, 2009 at 1:00 pm
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This website compares the various seats available. Two caveats: it's not always 100% up to date, and check your specific flight before booking to see if it is one of the ones with the good seats.

http://www.flatseats.com/index.htm
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgwright99
The following are the true flat bed TATL products that I have flown. However, none fly direct to Paris; personally, I'd connect.

BA J ("Club Word") is good.
VS J ("Upper Class") is good hard product, but variable (at best) service - and available as CO codedshare, and earns CO EQM when VS coded.
UA new business is fairly good.

BA F is excellent, though compared with some of the other new F suites may be falling behind (haven't flown any other TATL F, but UA and AA both look excellent).

I don't like the ski-slope flat bed products; I've flown the following TATL J, and none are a patch on the true flad bed prod
Sorry, I am not up on all the abbreviations. I assume BA is British Air, but what are VS, UA and TATL?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Sorry, I am not up on all the abbreviations. I assume BA is British Air, but what are VS, UA and TATL?
VS: Virgin Atlantic
UA: United Airlines
TATL: Transatlantic
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Do you prefer flat beds or big recliners? I find myself going back and forth: flat beds usually require me to sleep curled up on my side to fit into the little space, whereas in the recliners I stay on my back like I usually sleep.

I liked the LH biz seat enough. I'm not sure if it went truly 180 degrees, but I figure with the airplane flying a few degrees nose-up (like it usually does) I couldn't really tell. Good soft product too.

I know many here don't like it, but I'm actually fine with the old UA seats on the 777. That's the big recliner...I always get Row 8 so I can recline with my feet being in the open space behind the last F row. (Get seat B or J for this - side aisles.) Maybe it's not a case that I *love* this seat so much as it's a case that I know I can usually get it with an upgrade, something not as easy with the flat beds.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Do you prefer flat beds or big recliners? I find myself going back and forth: flat beds usually require me to sleep curled up on my side to fit into the little space, whereas in the recliners I stay on my back like I usually sleep.

I liked the LH biz seat enough. I'm not sure if it went truly 180 degrees, but I figure with the airplane flying a few degrees nose-up (like it usually does) I couldn't really tell. Good soft product too.

I know many here don't like it, but I'm actually fine with the old UA seats on the 777. That's the big recliner...I always get Row 8 so I can recline with my feet being in the open space behind the last F row. (Get seat B or J for this - side aisles.) Maybe it's not a case that I *love* this seat so much as it's a case that I know I can usually get it with an upgrade, something not as easy with the flat beds.

Definitely flat beds for me. I can't get any good sleep on long haul flights unless it's a bed. Does anyone have any experience with Air France NY-->Paris? Is there a marked difference between 1st and Business on the A380 and 777's they operate on this route aka is it worth an extra several thousand dollars / leg or should I fly Business and or their A340 service which only has Business. According to their information the First and Business seats both recline to beds.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
On a route that short, I doubt I'd pay significantly more for F. The only time I ever have the J vs. F option is when the "currency" is miles, and I'd be more apt to book J unless it's part of some sort of longer itin or some sort of unique soft product or other ground service.

I might pull the trigger on BA F in the next two years...assuming my wife and I can get two seats together for a total of 150,000 miles plus taxes. (Or maybe a few more miles to go beyond Europe with the award.) I'll believe that Visa Chase 2-for-1 offer when I have a confirmed itin booked, but it's certainly a case where I'd throw extra miles at F.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:20 pm

I think Swiss (LX) has currently the best product on their A333 on TATL-routes.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tim2008
I think Swiss (LX) has currently the best product on their A333 on TATL-routes.
They do, but I'd think that OP is more interested in nonstop from NYC to Paris, so I'd pick EC over LX.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkjay77
They do, but I'd think that OP is more interested in nonstop from NYC to Paris, so I'd pick EC over LX.
Yea, I am definitley looking for a direct flight, otherwise I would take BA F and then connect Heathrow to CDG. Sorry again about not having my codes down, but what is EC? Also is "J" Business class? I think AF F is ~14k while Business is 7-8k, I assume that it's not worth the additional 6-7k to fly F on this route? Would it even be worth wasting miles on? I think AF accepts AMEX points converted to miles and I have several hundred thousands collecting dust.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Sorry again about not having my codes down
Check out the Glossary for terms used on FT. It's alphabetical and a lot of the terms are listed although not all. Hope it's helpful. BTW, EC is not there and, frankly, I don't know what EC is either.

Bobette

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.