Wiki Posts
Search

A reminder about seat belts: 9 injured on AA plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:38 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
you should NEVER take your seatbelt off in-flight. Thankfully there aren't more injuries due to turbulence. I think if I wear my seatbelt in a car for 6hrs, what's the difference wearing a seatbelt in a plane for 6hrs?
Most people don't drive continuously for 6 hours, much less 12-15 hours that a transpacific flight takes; they stop every so often to use the loo and stand up / walk around to avoid problems from being seated for that long.

However, other than needing to get up for the above purposes, it is best to stay in one's seat with the seat belt securely fastened.

How many of the injured children were lap children under the age of 2 who do not get their own seats or seat belts but must depend on their parents holding them down?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:39 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
But some of the MD-80 seats in First have belts that are a bit on the tight side for me - definitely the tightest belts on any plane I've been on. So I'll unlatch them if we're cruising in calm air.
Could you ask for a seat belt extender?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by tjl
Most people don't drive continuously for 6 hours, much less 12-15 hours that a transpacific flight takes; they stop every so often to use the loo and stand up / walk around to avoid problems from being seated for that long.
Exactly.

I've seen handles in the lavatories, but why not seat belts?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You have to be obey the FAA regulations to stay in the seat and it must to kept seatbelt on all of the times during experienced turbulence. You won't need to get hurt or any kind of head injuries during the flight. You cannot to get off the seat without unbuckled the belt. You are staying in the seat when the captains to says on the PA will tell you to remains in the seat during the turbulence.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:14 am
iff

Originally Posted by Oceanrider
This raises a peripheral question I always wanted to ask. Why is it easier (at least for me) to handle turbulence lying flat rather than sitting up ?
Because then it's just flatulence?

(ok, ok, I'm outta here...)
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by Oceanrider
This raises a peripheral question I always wanted to ask. Why is it easier (at least for me) to handle turbulence lying flat rather than sitting up ?
Not just you. I also get less stressed by turbulence if I'm lying flat. If I can't lie flat, I find that it's less stressful if I twist in my seat so I'm not facing forwards. Probably psychological rather than physical.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by mikheil
that must have been either a very horrifying experience or a somewhat pleasant one (with the wind blowing on your hair and all.....) jk
Actually, the accident was horrifying because many passengers received bloodied faces due to cuts received from flying metal even though their seat belts were fastened. This accident was not due to turbulence but from metal fatigue and corrosion where part of the 737's fuselage ruptured/exploded and the plane became an open-air convertible inflight.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I never never never EVER unbuckle my seatbelt in fight. It just DOES NOT HAPPEN. The sole exception are long flights where I have to use the washroom, but then I wait for the line to clear (even if it takes a while), remove the belt, dash down, and hurry back. And I keep that thing tight.

It really annoys me when I see people standing around chatting, unbuckling their seatbelts, letting their kids run up and down the aisle or stand on the seats. Every single person doing this is a hazard to the people around them.

I honestly worry about the FAs whenever we get into turbulence. I know they're much more at risk than I am, especially with the heavy drinks carts they're often pushing around.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikheil
that must have been either a very horrifying experience or a somewhat pleasant one (with the wind blowing on your hair and all.....) jk
Yeah, sure. Wow. Stay classy.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:42 pm
Suspended

There's always SOMEONE, on every flight, who thinks the seatbelt light does not apply to them. It never fails.

I remember a horrible report of an incident on UA earlier this year which left a woman paralyzed from the neck down for life.

There was intermittent moderate to severe turbulence. The flight crew had turned on the Seat Belt lights 40 minutes before the incidents. The pax who didn't think it applied to them were chastised over the PA by the cabin crew at least once. This woman ignored it, or REALLY had to use the lav. In any case, she went to the lav, the aircraft dropped quickly and she was thrown against the ceiling, breaking her neck. A full investigation showed that the crew and the airline were not liable, considering all recorders showed the Seat Belt lights and recorded the warnings from the crew.

I always keep my seat belt on, and don't stand up for long..just long enough to get to the lav and back..even on long haul trans pac. You just never know. And if the light is on, I don't disobey it. I don't stand in the terminal drinking a big gulp soda before boarding like the amature flyers do.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Every single time I buckle my seat belt I think of that Aloha Airlines flight and have ever since it happened. My parents were supposed to be on that flight and delayed themselves an extra day because they were having such a good time. My seatbelt is always low and tight.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:07 pm

I keep buckled in 100% unless a trip to the bathroom is required. Always get a little nervous we're going to hit some turbulence when I'm in the bathroom. Not where i want to be bouncing around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.