Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:35 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Once when I was flying NRSA on United from PIT to ORD, I was the only person in coach. Our flight had been delayed, and most passengers were put on other flights. But there were no first class seats on other flights, so everyone in first class decided to stick with the delayed flight.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
My parents and my sister, including me. We were with 4 from Brussels to Athens with Sabena. I was a kid, should be somewhere between 1997 and 1999...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
Back in the mid 90's, I was on a late night flight Reno-Detroit on a narrow body full size plane (probably an MD-80 if I recall) on Reno Air. There were 9 passengers. They told us we could sit anywhere. 8 people immediately went to first class while I went straight to the back to lie down in a full row. I was the only one in coach as I recall at take-off, although I think one or two more people moved back as the flight went on to sleep.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Mid-90's, on the short-lived Western Pacific Airlines. My wife and I were the only pax on a late night 737-300 from DEN to LAX. We were in the second row, and the FA's joined us and stretched out on the left and right sides of row 1
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well I think the Coronavirus is going to start giving all of us new records. I flew last week right before travel was mainly suspended.

- SK TKU-ARN AT7: Fewer than ten people
- SK ARN-OSL 73G: At most two dozen people
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
BAH (stopped in RUH)-FRA on LH 637 March 7. Airbus 330.

I think the plane was maybe about a third full or a little less. This was two days before flights between Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Germany got suspended, too.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I did last summer Finnair operated by Nordic Regional Airlines AT7 HEL-TKU with only 7 pax including me.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:27 pm

TWA MSY to DFW. 3 passengers on the flight. The crew ordered pizza and sat in the back.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 510k miles, DL 600,000 lifetime
Originally Posted by TGarza
TWA MSY to DFW. 3 passengers on the flight. The crew ordered pizza and sat in the back.
Flying out of N.O. and they ordered Pizza?
Roll eyes...
t
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Flying out of N.O. and they ordered Pizza?
Roll eyes...
t
It was a late night full flight from JFK to N.O. We were using travel vouchers from being voluntarily bumped from a previous trip
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

AA ORD-ECP 03/20 : 3 Passengers
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AA
OMA-ORD

The emptiest flight I’ve been on was a flight from Omaha to O’Hare where the flight was delayed 6 hours (it was dreadful) it had about 19 people on board, the last 5 rows of the plane were empty. I was in row 18 and was the only person in the back, I’m assuming many people assumed it was cancelled and rebooked the following day.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
CLT-GSO. I was coming from MSP on US, we landed at CLT and I was continuing to GSO on the same plane. After the CLT pax deplaned there were two of us left on that old 734. We took off for GSO and I doubt we were in the air for more than 15 minutes before landing at GSO.

LGW-MSP on a NW DC-10-30 was the first day of a new second daily and there could not have been more than 15 pax. I had an entire 5-seat row to myself and slept better than I could have in the old World Biz Class recliners, which kind of sucked.

I miss Northwest. Was a MSP-based Platinum and they treated me really well, better than UA ever did as a 1K.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
With flights so full these days, you can imagine my surprise when we had just five passengers aboard EWR-DCA this past Wednesday. It was an 11:30am departure and, until the morning of the flight, I was the only person booked in F (upgraded at the Gold window). There were just two seats selected in Y, though we gained an additional two passengers shortly before departure. The GA moved the two Y pax to F and we had 5/50 for the hop to DCA. Not a bad way to fly!
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dabears1020
I took a flight from YYC-LAX last month that was probably only about 5-10% full. It was the last flight of the night so I assume that Air Canada didn't want to cancel it just so they didn't strand the handful of us at the airport. It was rather odd being in a nearly empty aircraft for the duration of the entire flight. No one else was seated within 6 or 7 rows of us.

It got me thinking, what's the emptiest flight you've ever been on? It seems like lately it's become the standard to just cancel severely underbooked flights and reshuffle the passengers to other flights, so empty flights like this are becoming a rarity. Does anyone have any unique experiences regarding flights like this?
I flew LGA-DEN in the 1990s and was the only passenger on one of the flights. I believe it was Northwest Airlines and the fare was around $800 r/t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.