Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How often do you shop in the airport terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:51 am
Original Poster

How often do you shop in the airport terminal?....and what do you purchase?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
You know... I'm curious what you're doing.

I'll bite and I'm happy to answer, because I have an answer and an opinion, but it sounds to me like you are either thinking about starting an airport related business or doing market research commercially.

If it's the former, I think it'd be nice to tell us, and if it's the latter, I think there might even be a policy to disclose it.

Whatever it is...I've been curious.

Anyway, to answer the question, I've always been amazed at the shops that manage to stay open in airline terminals. I wonder if it's not either a prestige thing, or that there are transit passengers from obscure places who really do see it as an opportunity to get their hands on brands that are hard to find or heavily dutied where they are from.

Regardless, I never buy anything more than newspapers, beverages and perhaps the occasional paperback.

I'd be interested in hearing if others shope more, but I would bet that most FTers are more like me than whoever is keeping the Ferragamo shop open at CDG.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Every time I fly I pick up a magazine. Every time my husband flies, he picks up a couple of packs of M&M's. That is the extent of our airport shopping.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
My purchases at the airport are pretty much limited to magazines also. On occasion I will pick up a souvenir for my nieces or purchase duty free on behalf of someone else, but that's about it.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I buy bottled water, sometimes food, coffee, or a magazine.

Do you know what I wish I could buy? All the liquids & gels I can't get through TSA. The only reason I ever check a bag is because of the liquids. If airports had full-scale drugstores, I could carry on my luggage and buy my preferred brand of shampoo/hair gel/lotion/etc. at my destination before leaving the airport. I would do that all the time.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Duty free alcohol, cigarettes and fragrance.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I usually buy breakfast if I'm flying in the morning. It seems to be impossible to find a decent bagel & cream cheese unless there's an ABP around. Most airport bagels have the texture of a sponge and seem like they wouldn't be stale if you left them out for a month. If I'm delayed for a long time or have a long layover, I'll grab a drink and snack.

I bought DVDs at PIT a couple of times, but they were insanely expensive.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:27 pm

Hasn't this been asked not too long ago? I guess it's not the same question, but the answers are probably going to be similar.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-airports.html
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Ruthalaska
Do you know what I wish I could buy? All the liquids & gels I can't get through TSA. The only reason I ever check a bag is because of the liquids. If airports had full-scale drugstores, I could carry on my luggage and buy my preferred brand of shampoo/hair gel/lotion/etc. at my destination before leaving the airport. I would do that all the time.
Then you'd have to trash them on the return flight or check your luggage.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:49 pm

or maybe sell small single-serving shampoo of every brand. You could probably start a business selling repackaged liquid/gel products for few uses for the frequent traveler who doesn't want to go without the Magnum look.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
As little as possible. It annoys the heck out of me that my transit from the "security" lines to my gate is lengthened by the long expanses of retail spaces. I have no desire to shop in airports. If at all possible I bring food in (from home or from outside the airport) because it's easier to get good, healthy food at reasonable prices on the outside. I spend as much time as possible in airport lounges when I have a long wait.

If duty-free liquor prices are reasonable I pick up some scotch or gin. That's it.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:31 pm

Chocky-bits

...for the F/As---if I haven't managed to pick up some truffles elsewhere, first.
I suppose you could say the few drinks we buy in the RCC might also qualify.
Otherwise airport shop shopping, for any commodity, is not on the radar.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by controller1
Then you'd have to trash them on the return flight or check your luggage.
True. But I don't mind checking luggage on the way home, since when your stuff gets delayed for a while it's not a big deal. And on a longer trip I'd use enough that I probably wouldn't mind throwing away the unused portions.

I have a horrible track record with lost luggage -- on my last business trip it was lost twice, in 3 days, by 2 different carriers. It's really stressful. The bottom line is that there are lots of situations where I'd rather burn $40 on toiletries even if I wasted some of them, rather than risk not having my luggage with me at my destination.

Being able to buy half-size bottles at the airport would be ideal, but unfortunately they don't sell those in most of the products I use.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Bought a really cool welded metal bat (as in halloween) in PHX, other than that I dont really shop, maybe malt whisky for my husband if I am feeling guilty about a trip, a socket converter but thats it in the last year
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I make it a point to walk through the duty-free alcohol. Sometimes there's a sale which makes it really, really cheap. Like the time I picked up a 70 cl bottle of Hennessy XO for 40 quid. ^

Also, I look through some airport boutiques. There are sometimes significant sales there, too. eg. HKG Gucci boutique, 50% off all ties (Hermes was less forgiving. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.