Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Place names that are very different in other languages

Place names that are very different in other languages

Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by cogitate
India and Bharat are considered to be equally official names for the country, according to the Indian constitution.
The constitution may say that but their visas say Republic of India.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
When traveling by car instead of plane, I regularly see Dunkerque (F), Duinkerke (NL), Dunkirk (GB), Dünkirchen (D).

That's when I travel to London/Londra/Londres :-)

How do you normally call a city? By it's local name, by the english name or the name in the language of the person you're talking to?

I find it interesting (being German) that abroad I would talk about Cologne and Munich, while the majority of non-german speakers knowing the places apparently called them "Köln and München" (even if not pronouncing the umlaut correctly )
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by raph
How do you normally call a city? By it's local name, by the english name or the name in the language of the person you're talking to?

I find it interesting (being German) that abroad I would talk about Cologne and Munich, while the majority of non-german speakers knowing the places apparently called them "Köln and München" (even if not pronouncing the umlaut correctly )
Interesting. Though a native English-speaker, I do speak German, and I'd regard it as seeming a bit affected to call those cities anything but "Cologne" or "Munich" in the middle of an English sentence, just as I would always pronounce "Paris" the English way when talking English.

The one exception might be if I were talking to German people in English, in which case I suppose I might call them "Köln" and "München", although in that case I'd probably take my cue from them.

If I were addressing a meeting, in English, that included both English speakers and German speakers, I'd probably use both terms the first time I mentioned the city and from then on just use one — probably the English one if I were talking in English.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:55 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
One of the weirdest ones for me is Italy. In most languages I am aware of (happy to be corrected), it goes by some variation of that (Italia/Italy/Italie etc), EXCEPT in Polish where it's called "Włochy" (10 points for pronouncing that for non-Polish speakers ).

Another one is Istanbul. In Greek, the older name is kept: Κωνσταντινούπολη ("Constantinoupoli" i.e. Constantinople). In fact this is true for most cities in current-day Turkey, which were previously founded/inhabited by Greeks. Hence: Σμύρνη ("Smyrni", today Izmir), Τραπεζούντα ("Trapezounta", today Trabzon), Προύσα ("Proussa", today Bursa), Αττάλεια ("Attalia", today Antalya), etc etc.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr H

The constitution may say that but their visas say Republic of India.
My most recent plane ticket to there said "Hindustan".
Old Nov 8, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by raph
When traveling by car instead of plane, I regularly see Dunkerque (F), Duinkerke (NL), Dunkirk (GB), Dünkirchen (D).

That's when I travel to London/Londra/Londres :-)

If they're football fans I can understand that. We all know 1.FC Koln, but if you called them Cologne I think some may be confused. Not as much with Bayern Munchen (as a Nurnberg fan booooooo) but still I think many Football fans know them by their native name.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by ajax
Whereas in the US, Australia and New Zealand (just to name a few), we just keep the native name. A few examples off the top of my head: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Ohio, Illinois, Mississippi, Tennessee, Missouri, Minnesota, Iowa, Oklahoma, Idaho, Utah and Oregon.

I'd bet they're pretty bad corruptions of the native name.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by colm
I am somewhat surprised. It is quite true that many Indians refer to India as Hindustan in conversation, but my impression had been that the term is avoided in official documents because Hindustan means, I think, Land of the Hindus. As a secular nation with significant populations of minority religions like Islam, Sikhism, Christianity, etc., India avoids referring to itself as a Hindu nation in official documents. Of course a plane ticket is hardly an official document!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:42 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
The Austrian city of Klagenfurt is officially bi-lingual (German and Slovenian), and the Slovenian name of the city is Celovec.

The border region of Slovenia with Italy is also bi-lingual. For example, the Slovenian city of Koper is known in Italian as Capodistria. Another example in the region is Miren-Kostanjevica, known in Italian as Merna Castagnevizza.

In German speaking countries, Milan / Milano (Italy) is known as Mailand. Venice / Venezia (It) is known as Venedig. Also, Nice (France) is known as Nizza in both German and Italian.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It wasn't to Bangalore, by any chance? The new airport there is known as 'Bangalore Hindustan Airport' (among many other combinations of related words).

[back to the subject matter in hand]

India's a difficult one as far as place names go, due to the number of languages in the country. There are those who see Hindi as 'the language, but this is far from the truth. The relatively recent round of renaming is, in part, to reverse anglicisation of some names (although don't forget that English can act as a lingua franca within the country, but sometimes, the motivation may be more political.

Bangalore was indeed a anglicisation of the Kannada name Bengaluru, just as Calcutta was an anglicisation of the Bengali name Kolkata. Madras and Chennai (the latter now being the official name of what was the former), however, were completely distinct settlements around both of which the city was formed - it's not even clear where the names come from. Bombay is supposedly from the Portuguese 'bom bahia' (which is gramatically incorrect), yet the city was known as 'Manbai' before that. Mumbai is derived from the name of the goddess Mumba (in Marathi), and the original name may be related. But is giving such a multicultural city a Marathi-derived name an anti-imperial stance, or is it giving prominence to one particular ethnic group?

I've no doubt there are all sorts of renamings in this vein, the world over.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, Velocity
Originally Posted by Rampo
Bangkok = Krungthepmahanakhonamonratanakosinmahintharayuttha yamahadilokphopnopparatratchathaniburirom udomratchaniwetmahasathanamonphimanawatansathitsak kathuttiyawitsanukamprasit

More commonly called Krungthep by Thai and Krungthepmahanakhon by Thai news readers.
I was just going to say about Bangkok/Krung Thep

Only learnt this today talking to a Thai co-worker. From what she was saying, Bangkok is one side of the river and Krung Tep is the other, non-Thais call the whole city Bangkok, Thais call the whole city Krung Thep (the shortened official name)
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by sipes23
And the whole Latin thing isn't too rough. Just keep in mind that Cologne (or Köln) is Colonia in Latin. Or that Copenhagen (or København) is Hafnia in Latin. Confoederatio Helvetica is why Switzerland is sometimes abbreviated CH. Nothing too hard about it, but then I deal with Latin every day for work.
Are you the Pope?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Indeed, this is what they were shouting from the Indian side of the Wagah border crossing when our side was shouting "Pakistan!"
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Low countries is what the literal name of the country is names including Welsh, English, German, Spanish and Dutch, among others. I think the English preference for Holland is because the English probably did trade with/rivalled the 2 provinces of Holland and by extension so named the whole country.
This is also true of the slavic translations--Nizozemska is also "low countries".

The fun one for me is the word for German/Germany in the Slavic languages. Njemačka and similar translations come from the root word "njem" which means "mute" because the slavs couldn't understand the Germans and figured they might as well just be unable to speak.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Ben Ell
Only learnt this today talking to a Thai co-worker. From what she was saying, Bangkok is one side of the river and Krung Tep is the other, non-Thais call the whole city Bangkok, Thais call the whole city Krung Thep (the shortened official name)
Roughly. Back in the days when the capital was still in Ayutthaya, there was a hamlet called Bang Makok ("Village of the Olives") on the west bank of the river, and this is probably the source of the Western name. After King Taksin got his rear kicked by the Burmese in 1767 and had to flee south, he founded his new capital Thonburi on the same spot, and that's what the west bank is called today... and Krung Thep was founded in 1782 when the next king after Taksin decided to rebuild on the east bank, where the bulk of the city is today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.