Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why no ceiling light at any hotel chains?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:57 am
Original Poster

After about my 1000th stay at a hotel I just noticed that no [?] hotels have ceiling lights...just lamps or equivalents.

Anyone ever notice that?

Why is this?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Easier maintenance?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
This is a bugbear of mine. I like to read books, and it is difficult to read books without overhead light. In London I like to stay in the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt because it has good lighting, including ceiling lights.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
The Oakwood in Mumbai had built in dimming halogen ceiling lights, but I suppose they're more of an apartment/hotel chain. I don't have any ceiling lights at home though...
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
You know I never thought about until now, but it does seem odd.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
From a real estate development standpoint, it is much more cost effective to design and develop a hotel without junction boxes in the ceiling for light. The easiest way to obtain cost efficiencies during construction is repetition. Having to slow down a concrete crew from pouring a floor slab to install electric conduit and junction boxes is costly in time, so they end up either installing junction boxes in the walls (for sconces) or having all floor lamp lighting. This also saves considerable money in having to install ceiling fixtures.

Finally, from a light bulb replacement perspective, a housekeeper can replace bulbs within reach (sconces or floor lamps), but once a ladder is involved, that task typically goes to a maintenance man.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: US *G (AF, BA)
Talking

Maybe some conspiracy?!
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
While you don't see ceiling lights over the bed, I've been in lots of hotel rooms that have ceiling lights in the room entryway, in split baths (sink outside the bathroom), and by/in the closet.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 3 Hilton Garden Inns I stayed at last week had ceiling lights. Actually all the HGI appear to have ceiling lights. I only turn them on them to make the morning coffee.

MisterNice
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: AA LTP; SPG Gold
I've noticed that too and have come to the conclusion that it's due to the fact that a lot of the ceilings are prefab concrete slabs. When there are ceiling fixtures, such as over the entryway, they tend to be in the HVAC soffit.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by donnde
I've noticed that too and have come to the conclusion that it's due to the fact that a lot of the ceilings are prefab concrete slabs. When there are ceiling fixtures, such as over the entryway, they tend to be in the HVAC soffit.
Agreed, most every hotel I say at, the only overhead light is near the door where the ceiling is lower. And sometimes in the bathroom (but that also has a lower ceiling).
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Why is this?
It's important for hotels to ensure that they have every single available electric outlet in every room in use, ensuring that there is no means for guest to use their laptops or charge their cell phones or iPods. One convenient way for hotels to gobble up every outlet is to plug lamps into them all.

Once they've plugged lamps into them they can also push large pieces of heavy furniture up against the outlets to further prevent guests from accessing them.

Last edited by gglave; Oct 23, 2009 at 12:52 pm
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:10 pm

I have noticed this too. I find it annoying. If I want dim or "romantic" lighting I can always turn the overhead light off. Most of the time I want to be able to see properly...
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This is a bugbear of mine and I've even changed hotels over this issue. I don't have great eyesight and I need strong lighting to be able to work.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by gglave
It's important for hotels to ensure that they have every single available electric outlet in every room in use, ensuring that there is no means for guest to use their laptops or charge their cell phones or iPods. One convenient way for hotels to gobble up every outlet is to plug lamps into them all.

Once they've plugged lamps into them they can also push large pieces of heavy furniture up against the outlets to further prevent guests from accessing them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.