FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   BBC World last week used the term "air hostess" for flight attendant-acceptable term? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1005420-bbc-world-last-week-used-term-air-hostess-flight-attendant-acceptable-term.html)

FlyerGoldII Oct 13, 2009 9:25 am

BBC World last week used the term "air hostess" for flight attendant-acceptable term?

There was a news story on BBC World last week. The story mentioned Air India, and the newscast announcer used the term "air hostess" (presumably all the flight attendanats were female) on the Air India planes.

Is this a British term, Indian term, or both? Where else in the world would the term "air hostess" be used?

I would presume that such a term is (for a variety of reasons) not an appropriate terms (jargon) in the North American setting.

GuyverII Oct 13, 2009 9:28 am

My friend is a flight attendant with Easyjet and he loves being called an "air hostess".

Seriously.

sylvia hennesy Oct 13, 2009 9:33 am

These days, they all consider themselves security officers. "We are here PRIMARILY for your safety and security...OBEY!"

ajax Oct 13, 2009 9:41 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 12619987)
There was a news story on BBC World last week. The story mentioned Air India, and the newscast announcer used the term "air hostess" (presumably all the flight attendanats were female) on the Air India planes.

Is this a British term, Indian term, or both? Where else in the world would the term "air hostess" be used?

I would presume that such a term is (for a variety of reasons) not an appropriate terms (jargon) in the North American setting.

The first B in BBC stands for "British". ;)

In British English, "air hostess" is completely acceptable.

Mr H Oct 13, 2009 9:43 am

It sounds dated to me but hardly something that anyone would make a fuss about.

FlyerGoldII Oct 13, 2009 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 12620151)
The first B in BBC stands for "British". ;)

In British English, "air hostess" is completely acceptable.

Is this term used commonly for flight attendants flying on BA, BMI, Virgin, or other full service or low cost carriers oriiginating in the UK (or Ireland)?

ajax Oct 13, 2009 10:18 am

Erm. I would guess so. I hear it all the time in colloquial speech with friends and colleagues. In fact, "stewardess" and "air hostess" are more common than the rather anodyne "flight attendant."

FlyerGoldII Oct 13, 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 12620482)
Erm. I would guess so. I hear it all the time in colloquial speech with friends and colleagues. In fact, "stewardess" and "air hostess" are more common than the rather anodyne "flight attendant."

But the various British airlines' official term for these employees - would still be "flight attendant"?

ajax Oct 13, 2009 10:48 am

Oh, I see. Yes, I think it would. You'll probably need to check with someone who is actually employed by a British airline - I am not.

But your question was about the term which is used commonly, not officially. In that case, the terms used much more commonly, IME, are "air hostess" and "steward/stewardess". And occasionally "trolley dolly". And very occasionally "Dolly Dripmat". :D

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Is this term used commonly for flight attendants flying on BA, BMI, Virgin, or other full service or low cost carriers oriiginating in the UK (or Ireland)?

FlyerGoldII Oct 13, 2009 11:04 am

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 12620741)
Oh, I see. Yes, I think it would. You'll probably need to check with someone who is actually employed by a British airline - I am not.

But your question was about the term which is used commonly, not officially. In that case, the terms used much more commonly, IME, are "air hostess" and "steward/stewardess". And occasionally "trolley dolly". And very occasionally "Dolly Dripmat". :D

Yes, I should have rephrased the question - to ask if it is used commonly and/or officially?

I am surprised the BBC would use a common term, rather than the official term, especially when that newscast is being broadcast around the world.

jackal Oct 13, 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 12620529)
But the various British airlines' official term for these employees - would still be "flight attendant"?

I've always seen and heard BA refer to their FAs as "Cabin Crew" (headed by the Cabin Services Director). I don't know if it's what their actual job description says, but it's the most common title used in announcements, safety videos, High Life magazines, etc.

I'm surprised "air hostess" is still used, given the increase in male FAs (unless the male FAs are happy to assist with the stereotype that plagues them! ;)).

Edit: It does appear official. http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/?newms=info42

Swanhunter Oct 13, 2009 11:59 am

Cabin crew at BA, VS and I believe BD too. Air hostess is a bit archaic but wouldn't cause any offence.

Flight attendent isn't a word I've heard used in the UK outside of FT.

B747-437B Oct 13, 2009 1:05 pm

The official job designation at Air India is "Air Hostess" for females and "Assistant Flight Purser" or "Flight Purser" for men. Only the most recent hires (last 5 years or so) have been hired under gender neutral T&Cs. So yes, that is absolutely correct and accurate.

Efrem Oct 13, 2009 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 12622619)
The official job designation at Air India is "Air Hostess" for females and "Assistant Flight Purser" or "Flight Purser" for men. Only the most recent hires (last 5 years or so) have been hired under gender neutral T&Cs. So yes, that is absolutely correct and accurate.

I find this fascinating, since the word "purser" is (a) unisex and (b) has indicated, since the days of transatlantic ship travel, a higher position than "steward" or any similar term. (I'm old enough to have made six crossings by sea as a child and teen-ager.) Granted, the status of an "assistant purser" is vague, but there still seems to be some sexism here - at least in terminology, even if no longer in the terms and conditions of employment.

B747-437B Oct 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 12622871)
there still seems to be some sexism here - at least in terminology, even if no longer in the terms and conditions of employment.

Until only about 3 years ago, the policy at Air India was that the seniormost female crewmember was considered junior to the juniormost male crewmember. Female cabin were also not permitted to hold any supervisory or managerial positions on board an aircraft. So yes, that was exactly the intention.