Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

WORLD's Worst Toilets

WORLD's Worst Toilets

Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:14 am

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
I always find the western aversion to squat toilets a bit strange. I'd much rather use a clean squat toilet than a questionable western-style one.

In the ladies at Dubai airport I have "queue jumped" inside the ladies' loo because I was prepared to use the squat toilet while the other westerners waiting were too squeamish.

On a train from Bankok to Chang-mai I used a squat toilet that dropped straight onto the track. A little disturbing, but still do-able.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by 17thousandkm
I always find the western aversion to squat toilets a bit strange. I'd much rather use a clean squat toilet than a questionable western-style one.

In the ladies at Dubai airport I have "queue jumped" inside the ladies' loo because I was prepared to use the squat toilet while the other westerners waiting were too squeamish.

On a train from Bankok to Chang-mai I used a squat toilet that dropped straight onto the track. A little disturbing, but still do-able.

I use to have a squat toilet in one of the 4 bathrooms in my house in KUL. I never used it. Now, I don;t think I can even use it because at the moment I have a bad knee and ankle. I can't imagine a fat western man/woman going to Japan and trying a squat toilet. It must be so hard.

In Japan though, instead of hoses they have the spray - i've used it before many times - but not necessarily to clean myself... it feels a little therepeutic to have hot water sprayed up your arse.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
No tp? Did you check for a vending machine? It is not uncommon in a lot of areas to buy your paper from a machine or vendor before going in. My dad has a collection of tp from around the world, along with descriptions of the facilities.

For me, by far the worst was in NO on a Saturday night. I'll take Asian squatters over that any day.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
I can't imagine a fat western man/woman going to Japan and trying a squat toilet. It must be so hard.
Hmmm...there may be an advantage for them in the squat toilet though - (and I don't know how to put this delicately) – but the squat toilet position is much more natural for your body, and normally it should leave you ‘cleaner’ so there would be less wiping/washing/spraying needed.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:23 pm

China.

China had the absolutely smelliest, most disgusting toilets I have ever seen. Worse than Africa, worse than the Middle East...just gross gross gross.

I have never been in a squat toilet in private homes either that didn't smell bad. I don't know if they just don't trap the gases as well or if it is the hygiene standard in most places they are common but I always get nauseated in them due to the stench.

I will take a toilet paper nested throne over squat toilets any day. Last thing I want to do when pooping is try to balance on a bad leg or worry about my trousers dragging on the nasty floor.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davidwnc
Hmmm...there may be an advantage for them in the squat toilet though - (and I don't know how to put this delicately) – but the squat toilet position is much more natural for your body, and normally it should leave you ‘cleaner’ so there would be less wiping/washing/spraying needed.
Remember Fat ....... from the Austin Powers movie? I just can't see him able to squat and being able to balance himself . It also gets kind of tiring if you are trying to .... and the .... comes out halfway - too far out for you to pull it back in and not enough out to be able to push it all out. And you are just squating there waiting. Too much work if you are squating plus I always have the nightmare of accidentally shitting in my pants.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Worst restroom facilities I have found in Europe:

Riga, Latvia bus station

Border checkpoint between Croatia and Bosnia
Old Oct 10, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by harper99
I will take a toilet paper nested throne over squat toilets any day. Last thing I want to do when pooping is try to balance on a bad leg or worry about my trousers dragging on the nasty floor.
Hmmm, ever tried a "throne" placed over a long-drop pit? Infinitely worse than any squat I've ever used!!

Best way to use a squat toilet if you're wearing pants is to take them off altogether. Best to take off undies too then there's no risk of anything getting wet, or worse.

If you know you'll be encountering squat toilets and will have no other choice, wear a skirt (assuming you're a woman that is ).
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Have you ever tried a Pit Toilet in Northern Ontario in the middle of the summer with huge blow flies buzzing around you and on your ... from beneath (perspiration pouring off you in the tiny wooden enclosure)? Not quite the therapuetic Japanese spray feeling - more like the Buzzing on your arse - involuntary push reflex feeling - hahahaha!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 17thousandkm
Hmmm, ever tried a "throne" placed over a long-drop pit? Infinitely worse than any squat I've ever used!!

Best way to use a squat toilet if you're wearing pants is to take them off altogether. Best to take off undies too then there's no risk of anything getting wet, or worse.

If you know you'll be encountering squat toilets and will have no other choice, wear a skirt (assuming you're a woman that is ).
You know in some countries you can get arrested for going in drag...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:40 pm

Commode that fell off the wall when I used it. In the Cairo Musem!

Almost every toilet in Egypt has an attendant that hands you a Kleenex and expects baksheesh. At least where tourists go, they keep the place clean.

The Kleenex lady in a resturant in Alexanddria was out of Kleenex. She handed Mrs. Scubadiver a resturant napkin imprinted with a leering male face, and the legend, "I like mine spicy!"
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tibet. China squared. The loo at the Everest base camp resthouse could be smelt from 100 yards. Not surprising as it was a mostly filled shallow long drop. Having a crap in the scrub while watching sunrise on Everest - and being watched by a curious yak - was far preferable.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
After reading this, I'm soooo happy my travel is all in North America
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by tjl
I wonder if the OP has used toilets in China (outside of nicer hotels and such).

The problem there is not so much the fact that they are often holes that you squat over (which I have seen in Switzerland and Italy as well), but that "flushing" is often just a small ineffective trickle of water that makes you wonder why they even bothered to have a water supply to the toilet. The sights and smells can be rather crappy.
Worse still were the rural toilets I saw many years ago that had a rope in place of TP. At least there was a knife to clean the rope off before you used it...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Worse still were the rural toilets I saw many years ago that had a rope in place of TP. At least there was a knife to clean the rope off before you used it...
I think we have a winner here!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.