TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Ugh. TripIt Pro is nearly worthless to me right now. In fact, it's driving me crazy.

I did a same-day change on my itinerary this morning. Of course, TripIt didn't know about it (despite the PNR being updated on alaskaair.com), so all day I've been receiving delay alerts about my old itinerary. Then, the flight I changed to had weather delays and ended up diverting, but of course TripIt was worthless in that situation and kept sending me texts about my old itinerary. Intermixed with those texts were texts from FlightStats.com (who AS partners with for flight alerts) about my new itinerary, so it got confusing trying to see which flights were delayed/changed/canceled.

Due to the delay, I've now been rebooked to continue my trip Saturday night. Yet I'm still receiving TripIt delay alerts about the flight I would have been on tonight.

If TripIt is listening, YOU GUYS REALLY NEED TO GET REAL-TIME MONITORING OF PNRs ASAP!

I'm definitely not renewing my subscription if this is not implemented. I might even call and ask for a refund of my TripIt Pro payment due to its extreme inadequacy.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by docbert
I suspect if nothing else we'll see improved auto-importing with Concur at some stage in the future...

http://www.tripit.com/press/2011/01/...ness-traveler/

Nice for those of us that use Concur for work travel
tripit sent emails about the acquisition today. Well, at least I got one.

The innovation and customer service that you've come to expect from TripIt won't change and basic TripIt will remain free. Continue to use TripIt and TripIt Pro as they are today to organize and manage your travel. If anything, expect the pace of improvements to increase.
http://blog.tripit.com/2011/01/tripi...-stronger.html

I hope that is true.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jackal
Ugh. TripIt Pro is nearly worthless to me right now. In fact, it's driving me crazy.

I did a same-day change on my itinerary this morning. Of course, TripIt didn't know about it (despite the PNR being updated on alaskaair.com), so all day I've been receiving delay alerts about my old itinerary. Then, the flight I changed to had weather delays and ended up diverting, but of course TripIt was worthless in that situation and kept sending me texts about my old itinerary. Intermixed with those texts were texts from FlightStats.com (who AS partners with for flight alerts) about my new itinerary, so it got confusing trying to see which flights were delayed/changed/canceled.

Due to the delay, I've now been rebooked to continue my trip Saturday night. Yet I'm still receiving TripIt delay alerts about the flight I would have been on tonight.

If TripIt is listening, YOU GUYS REALLY NEED TO GET REAL-TIME MONITORING OF PNRs ASAP!

I'm definitely not renewing my subscription if this is not implemented. I might even call and ask for a refund of my TripIt Pro payment due to its extreme inadequacy.
Exactly. The offline model developed by Tripit makes it useless. Apps depending on this model are also useless because of their dependence on Tripit.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by riteshraja
Exactly. The offline model developed by Tripit makes it useless. Apps depending on this model are also useless because of their dependence on Tripit.
Good point. On Airside, the user can still download itinerary and MBP by selecting the airline instead of using the TripIt download, and that approach handles same-day changes. But yeah, you need to know to do that -- not intuitive.

Hmm.... Something else to work on!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:29 pm

Does anyone know if the TripIt iphone app still has all your flight info if you aren't connected to wireless or a phone network (3G, Edge, etc.)?

Edit: Just tried it. Seems to pull up the info. It doesn't update if there were any changes from the last time I was connected, or if I went in and changed something on the tripit website before it got to update.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Although TripIt is a great application, after attempting to use it for a few trips I just find it overkill.

Realistically, I have all my email confirmations on my iphone, photos of any documents required, and access to my dropbox file for backup copies of ID, itinerary etc.

Failing that, evernote for iphone is a great way to track a trip.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Hate digging this up again, but wondering what the latest is I'm either giving or getting some travel-related gifts over the holidays.

$50 for TripIt Pro doesn't seem to offer a lot of value compared to AwardWallet or other tools that are cheaper. Alternative opinions out there or deals to make the $50 become $25? If so then it becomes more palatable.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Monk
Although TripIt is a great application, after attempting to use it for a few trips I just find it overkill.

Realistically, I have all my email confirmations on my iphone, photos of any documents required, and access to my dropbox file for backup copies of ID, itinerary etc.

Failing that, evernote for iphone is a great way to track a trip.
Tripit itself is uselesss but the other apps such as Flight Update Pro - which allow importing of trips from Tripit make it essential. Flight update pro has a feature to show flights which are incoming to your gate - the best indicator if your flight is going to be on time.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:40 pm

Has anyone found a good replacement for Tripit? I have been using it for the past few years and loved it a lot.

But I just updated my iPhone app and features that used to be free are now no longer free and require an upgrade to Pro. I also haven't even gotten maps with directions anymore.

Thanks

Mark
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by riteshraja
Tripit itself is uselesss but the other apps such as Flight Update Pro - which allow importing of trips from Tripit make it essential. Flight update pro has a feature to show flights which are incoming to your gate - the best indicator if your flight is going to be on time.
Could not agree more. Tripit Pro is just a waste.

How do you see incoming flights at your gate?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by nitrobass24
How do you see incoming flights at your gate?
It's a feature of Flight Update Pro.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jonu
It's a feature of Flight Update Pro.
Yea i have that, but i dont see that option anywhere.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:06 pm

I am a fan of the paid Tripit application for Android. Makes it very easy for my wife to have all of my travel and trip details and eliminates the need to text or call with the hotel information, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I REALLY wish they would enable auto-importing from loyalty program logins like PageOnce/Trip Tracker does.

^^ I've been a long and vocal advocate of Tripit, but I'm getting fed up with their lack of real-time PNR monitoring.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:28 am

Pros & Cons

As with most travel apps Trip It has its pros and cons.... seems to depend on how heavily you might rely on its services.

Wouldn't be worth it to me unless they went real-time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.