Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

Old Oct 10, 10, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by bdesmond View Post
Personally I've found the alternate flight data to be incredibly useful as someone who primarily flies UA. UA's website and rebooking processes are archaic and manual, and when it's Friday afternoon, your flight has gone MX, all the directs are way overbooked, and you want to get home, being able to have TripIt tell you that there are three seats SFO-ORD via MCI or something and feed that info to a CSR to be rebooked quickly makes a huge difference (to me). Using that function even once in a calendar year is worth 50 bucks to me.

I also am a fan of the network feature - I have my colleagues and friends in there and when we're going to intersect someplace it makes it easy to plan dinner or drinks or something together.
As I mentioned above, this is less of an attractive benefit flying AS, but I can see how it might be useful for me if I need to get somewhere and AS is willing to endorse the ticket over to another airline.

As for the network feature, I think the little bit that alerts you when you are near someone in your network happens even in the free version.
Old Dec 2, 10, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT,1.4MM
Worldmate Pro is on sale right now for $.99 for a holiday special. For that price, its worth purchasing it and giving it a go to see if you like it! I mainly use TripIt but now I can compare the two. Haven't used Worldmate for over a year.
Old Dec 2, 10, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
I think that's a feature of the regular version of tripit. You don't need "pro" for that.

-David
I cannot see where this is available on the free version. That function may swing the vote for me. The multiple emails per trip is a hassle if you do several trips a week. Any tips on how to find it in the free version are appreciated.
Old Dec 2, 10, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT,1.4MM
I'm not sure if it's part of the free version or paid, but I believe it only works with a Gmail account. I've seen this before, but have never used it as I don't really use Gmail. That would be convenient if you were on the road weekly.

http://help.tripit.com/entries/23158...th-auto-import

Last edited by dugknight; Dec 2, 10 at 2:43 pm Reason: Sending link to TripIt/Gmail info...
Old Dec 2, 10, 4:06 pm

Programs: A3 Gold. BA Silver. Hilton Gold. IC Ambassador.
Tripit (Pro) vs. Worldmate cs. Worldmate Gold

Travel a lot between UK, USA and GCC so I bought the TripIt Pro recently (for $39) as the new value-added features really do seems useful:

- PointTracker keeps track of all your frequent flyer programs, and warns about expiry of airmiles and other points

- SMS alerts (useful considering roaming net charges are so high)

- Regus Gold - invaluable for any business traveller

- Auto-sharing so my wife will always have a copy of my complicated travel plans

BUT then Worldmate sends me an promo email and slashes the price for Gold on the iPhone. $0.99 is a tempting price but the features offered are just nowhere near as good as the above-mentioned extras that you get. See the comparisons on their website:

http://www.worldmate.com/faq_3.php

For iphone-ers they only offer pushed flight alerts - not SMS - which means having expensive roaming enabled on your phone wherever you go.

So yes, Worldmate and it's Gold version are much cheaper, but the extras for TripIt Pro are worth the money in my mind.
Old Dec 2, 10, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frequentfoulup View Post
I cannot see where this is available on the free version. That function may swing the vote for me. The multiple emails per trip is a hassle if you do several trips a week. Any tips on how to find it in the free version are appreciated.
The auto-email integration is absolutely available in the free version but only if you use Gmail. It basically polls your email account from time to time and if there are travel-related emails it imports them. I've found it to be mostly functional but less so if I'm filing/archiving messages such that I don't bother with that feature really anymore.

You can configure it here: http://www.tripit.com/uhp/autoImport.
Old Dec 2, 10, 8:06 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
The auto-email integration is absolutely available in the free version but only if you use Gmail. It basically polls your email account from time to time and if there are travel-related emails it imports them. I've found it to be mostly functional but less so if I'm filing/archiving messages such that I don't bother with that feature really anymore.

You can configure it here: http://www.tripit.com/uhp/autoImport.
I turned it off because friends would forward me their itineraries and then TripIt would load their itineraries into My Trips and subsequently notify my Facebook friends that I was beginning a trip to Hawaii or Sitges or Rio or something.

I REALLY wish they would enable auto-importing from loyalty program logins like PageOnce/Trip Tracker does.
Old Dec 9, 10, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I REALLY wish they would enable auto-importing from loyalty program logins like PageOnce/Trip Tracker does.
Old Dec 9, 10, 3:36 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Someone mentioned Yapta earlier in the thread and after reading it I created a free account on there and put in a bunch of flights I'm doing this week, including a crazy $1400 one-way AA Y-class ticket from MIA to CCS, it was the last seat on that flight.

Sure enough a few days later I get an email from them saying the price has changed and they literally tell you exactly what to do, step by step, ie:

1. "Call this number: 800.xxx.xxxx)" (AA reservations)
2. Tell them on your itinerary "xx" that the fare has dropped to $xx

I just blindly followed the directions thinking there was probably 1/5 chance of this really working since sometimes crazy fares show up for just a few minutes, but sure enough, the AA woman sighed and said "Yes, your fare went down" and rebooked me at ~$900 and said a credit would appear on my CC, and indeed it already has two days later. $500 back.

I didn't get a change fee, but I think I had a Y ticket originally. I didn't think to look but I'm guessing the new ticket isn't Y-class.

The interface for Yapta is decent and it can auto-import your TripIt trips and you just have to plug in the purchase price, which is pretty painless and it's free.

I'm a believer now!
Old Dec 29, 10, 9:54 pm

Programs: CM Gold, SK EB Gold, SPG Gold
TripMate247?

I'm on Windows Phone 7, so I'm using "My Trips" for Windows Phone (Zune link to install it here).

I've also installed TripMate247, but haven't used it to track flights. Has anyone used this service and how do you think it compares with TripIt so far?

Thanks,
Dan
Old Jan 16, 11, 7:52 pm

Programs: Hotels.com, Omni, Jetblue, SouthWest, Frontier
TripTracker and TripIt

Been reading this thread and have been testing out all the possible apps to use myself. I've tried TripCase and Worldmate as well, and while they seem to be more versatile I found the interface to be far too clunky and non-intuitive for my tastes. Worldmate also failed to extract 3 out of the 4 confirmation emails I've sent it, so it doesn't really work as a time saver.

In the end I'm finding TripTracker to be very aesthetically pleasing to use, and like the fact that it imports details from my TripIt account. So while I use TripIt to aggregate my travel data, I actually use TripTracker to read through my itinerary. I'm also testing out FlightTrack and Flight Update, but I'm torn as to what I should stick with.

TripIt seems to provide a good platform for these apps though, and using TripIt Pro might add even more to that, but I don't know. I wish someone would just make an all in one app and be done with it.
Old Jan 16, 11, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I suspect if nothing else we'll see improved auto-importing with Concur at some stage in the future...

http://www.tripit.com/press/2011/01/...ness-traveler/

Nice for those of us that use Concur for work travel
Old Jan 18, 11, 8:10 am

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
I suspect if nothing else we'll see improved auto-importing with Concur at some stage in the future...

http://www.tripit.com/press/2011/01/...ness-traveler/

Nice for those of us that use Concur for work travel
Old Jan 18, 11, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Apologies if this is redundant with a prior comment (there are 7 pages of comments).

In the last year I've migrated from BB to Droid and have been on Tripit and Worldmate on both platforms.

From my experience, you can't compare these two applications without taking into account which platform. For me, the WM BB platform is clean and clearly better. On the Droid, the I think that TripIt has is ahead as you can search for alt flights and it can drive a google calendar feed That said, I much prefer the look of WM over TripIt. If WM can get the BB functionality on Droid, I'd do it exclusively. Unfortunately, right now I am TripIt Pro and WM regular to get to what I want/need.
Old Jan 19, 11, 10:12 pm

Getting Mobile Boarding Pass Via TripIt + Airside

Originally Posted by njxbean View Post

Hi, back on FT after hammering away on our app for the past few months.

We just finished setting up a way for TripIt users to check in and download mobile boarding passes directly from the TripIt itinerary. As before, Airside Express (With TripIt) is iPhone only, free, and works for UA, AA, DL, CO, and AA.

Here's the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airsi...345202561?mt=8

Regarding previous feedback from FT'ers, we worked hard on improving reliability and ease of use and are fully PCI compliant (in process of getting even more stringent PCI certification). Would LOVE more feedback...

Thanks,
Hans
(Airside Mobile)

Search this Thread