TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TripIt Pro - worth it? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:01 pm
Formerly known as katzalex

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hertz Platinum, Marriot Platinum, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
I ordered Pro as soon as they offered it for me, and it was good timing since I was a few days from starting a RTW trip. I had several friends who were joining me on the trip and had shared their TripIt itins with me.

I must have gotten 200 emails during that 10-day period about flight delays, most from flights that were no longer in the itins of those people. It was a complete nuisance, exacerbated by the fact that one thing TripIt doesn't do well is keep track of changes and duplicates in your itins.

I had two flights that were delayed, one of which I was never notified about and the other I received the message as I was boarding the now-three-hours-later flight.

I canceled as soon as I got back from the trip.

If TripIt would just let me punch in PNRs and then go parse all the info, I think it would be much more useful - especially if it kept track of changes automatically. That's something I would pay for!
I agree completely. TripIt is a great concept with good execution, but if it could be more proactive I would gladly pay for the service.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:20 am

Now that it is available worldwide I have upgraded to Tripit Pro.

It saved me from missing a flight earlier this week. I was on a delayed BA flight from LHR-EDI and got the SMS with the delay sent to me. I checked the board and the delay was the same. Fine, I'll sit in the Galleries South a little longer and have a couple of extra glasses of champagne

An hour later I got a another SMS saying PULLED IN. The delay had been reduced by 30 minutes and the flight was just about to board. The screen had been updated but I was sat in my own little world reading a book and having a few drinks.

If I hadn't got the text I would have missed the flight (my fault I know - but delays getting shorter is unheard of with BA at LHR!!) and the last flight home was full.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
OK but if you had missed that flight because it didn't text you in time, would you have demanded your money back?

If you're anywhere at the airport, you would have access to flight status changes from other sources?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:01 am

You can't see a departures screen from my little hidey-hole in the Galleries South! I was just settled in for the wait with the alarm on my phone set to alert me 20 mins before the original delayed time.

I wouldn't rely on tripit to keep me permenantly updated - this was just a case of it unexpectently getting me out of a potential hole of my own making.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Lately AA has been initially posting my DFW-LAS flights for terminal A then changing to terminal D. The TripIt SMS notice is about 20min behind the AA e-mail notice - this is still 2+ hrs before the flight. The "welcome to LAS . . . baggage claim xxx" notice hits by the time exit the plane. I haven't had to depend on it for a critical notice. I'm pretty sure the notices are through FlightStats' service - same as most non-airline services use.

I was using both the iPhone App and TripIt's mobile website - but the recent update to the iPhone app was significant! I'm really impressed with how much it improved. It's pretty much all I use now.

So, 8 trips after I originally asked "is it worth it?" . . . I started to answer that I still wasn't sure it's worth $70/yr, but then I started thinking "I really don't want to give it up". So I guess the answer is really "yes." It's just really convienent to have everything in one place and I don't have to update anyone who needs to know my plans.

It's still not everything I want but nothing else is either. Hopefully they keep adding functions and updates as significant as they did with the iPhone.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
A very clever person would realize that if you have a friend with Tripit Pro and add them to your Tripit Amateur itins, you'll automatically get all the notifications and alerts without subscribing.

For me that's actually a problem and the reason I don't pay for it, but it might be convenient for people with an occasional need.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 4:03 pm

also android

fyi - Last week, TripIt released an Android app, which has the same TripIt Pro features as the just-released iPhone app. BlackBerry app is in beta, and it will also have Pro features.

(I work for TripIt)
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Surely--is there a way to help out beta testing that BB app??
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:33 pm

beta test

sure, send email to [email protected] with "bb tester" in the subject line.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Tripcase?

Works for me on the iPhone, and it's free......
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:34 am
Suspended

There's a separate app. for Pro subscribers?

I've used the regular service for one trip and it's good but it's better to print out the itinerary than to view the info. in the app. because if you're overseas, you won't have a data connection.

One thing I did was create an itinerary with pictures of maps (screen shots which I uploaded from my computer).

I noticed the iPhone App. doesn't display these pictures, especially zooming in, as well as just opening the itinerary on Safari at the TripIt site.

Of course Safari doesn't cache sites, tries to reload so again, you need a data connection.

For the printout of the itinerary, more print formatting options might be nice. On a color printer, the theme of the printouts is a drab yellow.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Works for me on the iPhone, and it's free......
TripCase is a much more polished UI, and claims to work like I wish TripIt did (put in your PNR and they just handle it). Sadly, they can't seem to read Amadeus PNRs which makes it pretty much useless.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by alanw
TripCase is a much more polished UI, and claims to work like I wish TripIt did (put in your PNR and they just handle it). Sadly, they can't seem to read Amadeus PNRs which makes it pretty much useless.
Gladly, all of our Corporate bookings are on Sabre, which work just fine :-)
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
There's a separate app. for Pro subscribers?
No, it's the same app, on all platforms. As the pro permissions change for a user, the new data is made available on the next refresh. Setting up SMS for alerts would take a little more of your time, I guess, but that's not managed by the apps.

For any feature requests, please send to [email protected]. There's so much we'd like to do, so all must be prioritised, pondered, etc.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Hmm, hadn't heard of TripCase but if it's from Sabre, it's got to be a bigger deal than TripIt.

Push notifications seem like a standout feature between the two.

Will have to see if it's worth opening another account (hate apps. which require you to register an account to use them).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.