Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
This thread is for ExpertFlyer Information and Updates only (as per its title) and many subscribe to it for this purpose. For other issues, please see the ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread.

If you have any questions about using ExpertFlyer or wish to report any issues, please email them at [email protected].
Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:52 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by payam81
Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but I like EFs new, allegedly, non-professional, 10 minutes put together seat map better which is BTW, incidentally the same seat map system used by TG, SQ and a bunch of other *A airlines (and possibly more that I don't know of).
Just because airlines use a certain seatmap format does not mean it's the best one. @:-)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by dstan
Just because airlines use a certain seatmap format does not mean it's the best one. @:-)
Thanks for the light bulb, but I think you missed the point, which was consistency not how good/bad certain airline seat maps are.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
I just saw the new seat map format today and I like it. Saves me from clicking over to Seat Guru.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:14 pm

Thanks for the light bulb, but I think you missed the point, which was consistency not how good/bad certain airline seat maps are.
What we're discussing/debating is whether the new format is better or worse. Many here, including myself, think that, while the added functionality is useful, the new visual format is worse than the original. Whether or not that new format is consistent with what others are doing is irrelevant - just because other sites are doing something consistently that looks bad does not mean that ExpertFlyer should follow along.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
What we're discussing/debating is whether the new format is better or worse. Many here, including myself, think that, while the added functionality is useful, the new visual format is worse than the original. Whether or not that new format is consistent with what others are doing is irrelevant - just because other sites are doing something consistently that looks bad does not mean that ExpertFlyer should follow along.
I don't think consistency or uniformity are irrelevant but that's my opinion. Nays and Yays on this matter in our small non-scientific sample seem to be equally divided so I don't think I'm the only one holding that belief.

So I guess we can agree to disagree.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:46 pm

So I guess we can agree to disagree.
Agreed.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Strange availability bug

Details are: availability request for DXB-MOW on 30-NOV (and some other dates).

EF returns an error if I specify SU as a preferred carrier (no flights at all), however, it returns several SU flights (and many others) if a carrier is not specified.

What could be the reason for that?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by anabolism
A "stateless" approach would encode all query fields as URL attributes (like a Google search). This would allow for "refine query" to be done on a query result from any page or age.

Another approach would automatically save the last n queries (where n might be 1, 5, 10), with a name derived from the query type and some of it's fields. Again, it would be a way to do a "refine query" after timing out or even closing the browser.
Originally Posted by jackal
It also makes it very difficult to do comparison searches in multiple tabs. Clicking "Refine Search" doesn't do what you'd expect it to do, which is refine the search on the open tab. It always refines the most recent search, regardless of the tab you're on.
I often have multiple search results open in different tabs, so it would be terrific if I could refine a query from any of them and it would work (which the stateless suggestion above would do).

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I wonder if the EF site can automatically generate saved query names for me. For example, I often would need to save a seatmap for repeated search, but the names I pick are always of the same format "11/04 nrt/lax". It would be nice if the EF site can automatically generate "11/04 AA170 nrt/lax YJF" for me (maybe not for all query types, but at least for simple ones like seatmaps or fare).

[snip]It would be nice I don't have to hit Saved Queries first (perhaps a list of recently saved queries, or a list of same-day query, on the home page).
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
We could, but of course for everyone who thinks it's a good idea there will be someone who will be annoyed that they now have to delete what we put in there to enter in something else. We'd have to create an option somewhere to enable it on a person by person basis. However we'll put it on the list.
Pre-filling a name in the "save query" box would be annoying, as you suggest. But automatically saving the last n queries would be a better alternative, I think. It makes it very handy for people who use it, and it doesn't get in the way of those who don't. Perhaps a new drop-down entry under "Saved Queries" for the last n queries would be a nice way to access these.

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
We’re happy to let you know that tonight we’ve released yet another new ExpertFlyer feature - SeatGuru integration with ExpertFlyer.com Seat Maps.
Having the information immediately viewable is convenient, but personally I'd have ranked other features far higher. I say this because EF is, I think, targeted at frequent flyers who tend to already have personal seat favorites for various equipment, and even if not, it's quite easy to have SeatGuru open in one tab and an EF seatmap in another. By contrast, a feature offering stateless EF queries, or a recently-used set of queries, would provide functionality that is missing now.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:36 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keter
Details are: availability request for DXB-MOW on 30-NOV (and some other dates).

EF returns an error if I specify SU as a preferred carrier (no flights at all), however, it returns several SU flights (and many others) if a carrier is not specified.

What could be the reason for that?
There is a bug on our side. We're getting back an error and flight data from the GDS and it's causing the error you're seeing (which is different from the regular "No Availability" message). We'll post the fix in the next day or two.

In the future, please email us directly ([email protected]) with any bug reports so we can make sure they are expedited. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:15 pm

Is there any MPM options on EF?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Yes. To the extent that the airline publishes it. You would find it on the Fare Results screen by clicking on the View Routing icon on the right side for a particular fare. You will see something like this for a Y fare on UA JFK-NRT:

MPM FARE - ROUTE NOT APPLICABLE
MAXIMUM PERMITTED MILEAGE IS 8084
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:22 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Yes. To the extent that the airline publishes it. You would find it on the Fare Results screen by clicking on the View Routing icon on the right side for a particular fare. You will see something like this for a Y fare on UA JFK-NRT:

MPM FARE - ROUTE NOT APPLICABLE
MAXIMUM PERMITTED MILEAGE IS 8084
Thanks a lot for the tip, wouldn't have guessed it.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by serfty

I would like the inclusion of TA data that optional, so I don't have to ignore it. Have the ability to stop the mouse over info is fine, but I would prefer it be automatic.

... I have been a great supporter ot Expert Flyer since its inception, but I feel they have this one wrong.

Now back to the icons, The X blocked still exist and are obvious: (Little different from before)

... I will probably set up at grease-monkey script to substitute the images I don't wish to see with the basic seat map.

i.e. The images , , will be substituted with .
I have seat up a Greasemonkey script to make all seat images the basic versions.

This script substitutes seat guru specific images with the generic one as well as disabling Seat Guru mouseover pop ups.

If any would like more information in this script, please PM me.

No warranty is made as to the fitness of the purpose for this script for any use. Usage is entirely at the risk of the user.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm Reason: Removed direct link at request of ExpertFlyerVoice
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Hi EF and the users!

I am a bit lost. Is there any option to get extended flight information such as electronic ticket availability, traffic rights (ie no local traffic for international carriers), specific flight status (online transfer only with AF, for example) etc???

Regards
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:09 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keter
Hi EF and the users!

I am a bit lost. Is there any option to get extended flight information such as electronic ticket availability, traffic rights (ie no local traffic for international carriers), specific flight status (online transfer only with AF, for example) etc???

Regards
We would have to research that. Please send us an email with some examples of what you are looking for and we'll take a look.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.