Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Tried TripIt?

Has Anyone Tried TripIt?

Old Oct 9, 07, 8:30 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CLE
Posts: 9,816
Has Anyone Tried TripIt?

I saw a blurb on this service in Sunday's NYT. It looks pretty cool:

http://www.tripit.com/


Has anyone played around with it yet?
MBM3 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 07, 11:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Posts: 1,177
Originally Posted by MBM3 View Post
I saw a blurb on this service in Sunday's NYT. It looks pretty cool:

http://www.tripit.com/


Has anyone played around with it yet?

Just a little. Seems to import data well from reservation confirmations of the major hotels, air etc. Have not yet tried to see how well it formats an entire trip and have others be able to view it. Will let you know next week and would also be interested in others' experience.
mstraveler is offline  
Old Oct 9, 07, 12:42 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CLE
Posts: 9,816
Originally Posted by mstraveler View Post
Just a little. Seems to import data well from reservation confirmations of the major hotels, air etc. Have not yet tried to see how well it formats an entire trip and have others be able to view it. Will let you know next week and would also be interested in others' experience.
I have uploaded a couple trips and will provide feedback as well. So far, I like it, though I think they need to better format the site for mobile use.
MBM3 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 07, 7:32 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Borrego Springs, CA
Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold
Posts: 181
simple OK, complex missed some key

I started with a simple Hertz & Southwest = no problems.

Tried a more complex one.
Hertz OK
Travelocity failed miserably
Hyatt failed
Kempinski failed, but that is to be expected

Adding flights manually not too bad, but..

We'll see if they take feedback seriously
shyabrasive is offline  
Old Oct 9, 07, 10:59 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Posts: 1,177
Originally Posted by shyabrasive View Post
I started with a simple Hertz & Southwest = no problems.

Tried a more complex one.
Hertz OK
Travelocity failed miserably
Hyatt failed
Kempinski failed, but that is to be expected
Adding flights manually not too bad, but..
We'll see if they take feedback seriously
The site adds data from straightforward sites and confirmations easily. If you send it something it does not recognize it offers you the option of adding it as an unformatted note. You can edit those easily. I think it will prove to be easier than what I am doing now (don't ask!) and a decently effecient way of having trips organized for Mr. mstraveler and family to see. Of course, if they make the site better, all the easier.
mstraveler is offline  
Old Oct 10, 07, 8:50 am
  #6  
mlk
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 211
First impression is positive.

It easily imported my flight, car rental and hotel confirmations for my next couple trips.

Thanks to the OP for sharing!
mlk is offline  
Old Oct 10, 07, 11:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SNA, LAX
Posts: 403
I've tried this for a trip I have planned to the UK in January.

It took my airline reservations perfectly (UA), but since none of my hotels are major chains it recognizes, I put those in manually; it took a few minutes, but it looks quite nice. I also entered several notes -- one for miscelleneous information like pass and insurance numbers, contact info like the UK mobile #, and events like theater tickets. It all looks quite nice. I plan to print a copy and leave it for my housesitter, and also to put a copy inside one of those Magellan luggage tags that holds your whole itinerary.

I do wish there was a way to prevent maps from auto-loading; it seems to slow down the page quite a bit.

I did send them feedback (about adding trains and a few other things) and received a response from a human almost immediately, so I do think feedback is actually read.
whitearrow is offline  
Old Oct 10, 07, 11:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: DSM
Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Posts: 1,135
Ditto what most other people have said. It works, but not well with email confirmations.
UAVirgin is offline  
Old Oct 10, 07, 11:45 am
  #9  
formerly meunger11
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 445
=)

haven't tried it but i will!
GlobalMatt is offline  
Old Oct 10, 07, 9:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Posts: 1,177
Originally Posted by mstraveler View Post
The site adds data from straightforward sites and confirmations easily. If you send it something it does not recognize it offers you the option of adding it as an unformatted note. You can edit those easily. I think it will prove to be easier than what I am doing now (don't ask!) and a decently effecient way of having trips organized for Mr. mstraveler and family to see. Of course, if they make the site better, all the easier.
Found the first glitch. Added my husband as a "friend" so that he could see my trip details and he could see nothing but the fact that I was going to San Diego. I then added myself as a "friend" to check and had the same problem. Am pleased with my access to my trips, but the real usefulness for me will be to have family be able to easily access my travel plans without me having to email or print it for them. Have emailed the site. Have others had the same problem??
mstraveler is offline  
Old Oct 11, 07, 1:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mid-Michigan
Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
Posts: 442
My first test and it formatted United, Hilton, and Avis well.
lintemut is offline  
Old Oct 11, 07, 1:12 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Posts: 1,894
Originally Posted by MBM3 View Post
I saw a blurb on this service in Sunday's NYT. It looks pretty cool:

http://www.tripit.com/


Has anyone played around with it yet?
Is this another review by David "all my articles assume you live in NYC" Pogue?
polonius is offline  
Old Oct 11, 07, 2:47 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CLE
Posts: 9,816
Originally Posted by polonius View Post
Is this another review by David "all my articles assume you live in NYC" Pogue?


No, it was just a small article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/tr...comTripIt.html
MBM3 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 07, 5:33 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jersey
Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
Posts: 1,082
anyone tried importing confirmations from say travel agencies like carlson wagonlit for example? This sounds interesting. i will have to check it out.
njxbean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: