map whakojacko
map zurichflyer
map Catweazle
Print Wikipost

FlightMemory

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Like many people here, I enjoy flying. Unlike many people here, I've kept a log of all my flights since I was about 8 years old. You might say I'm a flight junkie. I've always gone out of my way to fly new routes and new airlines, and mileage runs are of course de rigeur. Since joining FlyerTalk, I've also found an outlet to write about some of my travels, many of them in First Class aboard international airlines.

Anyway, Flight Memory looks like fun. I started loading the first of over 3,800 flights into it about two weeks ago. Good thing I've got alot of time on my hands right now. If my domestic map looks crowded, imagine how much busier it would look if so many routes didn't overlap eachother (Ex. ATL-ABQ ad ATL-LAX) due to the straight-only lines between city pairs. I'm through 2005 with only about 400 more flights to enter. Then I'll buy a poster. Here are the results so far:

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 25, 2008 at 2:42 am
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:57 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by josmon10
I must admit I hadn't noticed airplane registration numbers and names until I joined FlightMemory. And even now I still miss them sometimes. I have a few questions:

- Not every plane has a name, have they? I guess it depends on the airline.
- Where else can the name and number of the plane be read, other than outside? Last week I noticed that Lufthansa carried the (German city) name at the beginning of the aisle too.
- Is there any website where you can check the registration numbers for recent flights (i.e., BCN-MUC LH4481 dd January 12)?

Thanks.
No, not even every Lufthansa plane has a name but most of them have. As I usually have my logbook with me, I always ask the captain to fill it out anyway, including tail-number. So it's pretty easy to get the name.
Check out this website.

Unfortunately, I don't know where you can look up which plane served which flight but Oliver2002 had a website the other day that was pretty good. I don't remember it though.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:36 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
No, not even every Lufthansa plane has a name but most of them have. As I usually have my logbook with me, I always ask the captain to fill it out anyway, including tail-number. So it's pretty easy to get the name.
Check out this website.

Unfortunately, I don't know where you can look up which plane served which flight but Oliver2002 had a website the other day that was pretty good. I don't remember it though.
The side you are refering is

http://airfleets.net/home/
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
My newest obsession with FlightMemory is going back and trying to match the old airlines with the right aircraft. I originally had some old TranStar flights as 737's, but discovered that they were MD-80's.

I'm also trying to split up my 150 or so 737's into the actual model numbers.

Yeah...I'm a freak.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Like many people here, I enjoy flying. Unlike many people here, I've kept a log of all my flights since I was about 8 years old. You might say I'm a flight junkie. I've always gone out of my way to fly new routes and new airlines, and mileage runs are of course de rigeur. Since joining FlyerTalk, I've also found an outlet to write about some of my travels, many of them in First Class aboard international airlines.

Anyway, Flight Memory looks like fun. I started loading the first of over 3,800 flights into it about two weeks ago. Good thing I've got alot of time on my hands right now. If my domestic map looks crowded, imagine how much busier it would look if so many routes didn't overlap eachother (Ex. ATL-ABQ ad ATL-LAX) due to the straight-only lines between city pairs. I'm through 2005 with only about 400 more flights to enter. Then I'll buy a poster. Here are the results so far:
I can still see the land in a few places
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by redbeard911
I'm also trying to split up my 150 or so 737's into the actual model numbers. Yeah...I'm a freak.
Have you got N-numbers on those 737s? If so, there's help available be it model specific (737-300) or airline specific (737-317).

And Kiwi, I'm working on those open areas! Here's a hand drawn map that doesn't include many of the smaller cities.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 27, 2008 at 1:10 am
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:39 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I can still see the land in a few places
LOL !! This was a good one !! ^
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

And Kiwi, I'm working on those open areas! Here's a hand drawn map that doesn't include many of the smaller cities.
Nice map. I'm surprised that unduplicated mileage is less than 800,000 miles. I'm closing in on 750,000 unique miles now and thought I was a long way behind (certainly am in terms of number of unique routes).
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Wow. Wow. Wow.

^^^
Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:06 pm

Then I'll buy a poster. Here are the results so far:

You flew from SFO to OAK back in 1998? ^ Is there a cool story behind that?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yashan
You flew from SFO to OAK back in 1998? ^ Is there a cool story behind that?
I don't know how cool it is, but there is a story. I was on an Alaska Airlines SFO-SEA flight and apparantly their similarly timed OAK-SEA flight had been cancelled due to a mechanical problem. The powers that be at AS decided that since we had enough seats available on our flight, we could just make a quick stop in OAK and pick up those passengers as well. Flight time was just under ten minutes.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
My Road Memory
For those of us interested in tracking not only our flight memory online, you can also track your Interstate Highway travels at the Clinched Interstate Highway Mapping website.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by Mehdron
For those of us interested in tracking not only our flight memory online, you can also track your Interstate Highway travels at the Clinched Interstate Highway Mapping website.
Interesting. Although, it seems like a lot of work and you have to e-mail it to someone before you could see it. It would be cool to have something like flight memory.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: Qantas Club PS + bar, CX Riffraff, Krisflyer Balsa
I used a few rainy days last christmas to log in >year 2000 flights as I'd skied the pre 2000 lot in pursuit of tidiness!
Fantastic stats to impress your boss, particularly when you can tell him just how many hundreds of times you've endured airport security scans and sock dances.
Best of all, you can use this data to XL graph your mileage, days away (and airport security scans!!).
Old May 15, 2008, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Hooray - there is finally a map of NZ.

http://meine.flugstatistik.de/kiwiflyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.