map uvaryanmc
map whakojacko
map zurichflyer
map Catweazle
Print Wikipost

FlightMemory

Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:15 am

Has anyone used the site lately?

Today I went to update some upcoming flights and *gasp* I couldn't get it to load.

Not sure if it's a temporary outage downtime or the site is gone for good.

Would be a pity if the latter - didn't have any chance to back up all the data...
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by LausanneBoy
Has anyone used the site lately?

Today I went to update some upcoming flights and *gasp* I couldn't get it to load.

Not sure if it's a temporary outage downtime or the site is gone for good.

Would be a pity if the latter - didn't have any chance to back up all the data...
Just tried, and it worked fine for me.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: QF, HH
FYI the website has been working fine for me most recently, during the last few months.

Meanwhile, is there a website like this but for logging hotel stays around the world?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:27 am

Programs: LH SEN since 2007
According to European consumer protection laws (and those of some US States), you are the owner of your data and you can request an export of the data from flightmemory. The first reaction is usually to send you a PDF, but you can insist. Then they usually send you some rotten excel-sheet with poorly formatted columns. When you insist a third time (and potentially threaten them with consumer protection laws), they will send you a nice excel-sheet with data. But it is a hassle.

Flightmemory is a clear example of network effects and monopolistic behaviour, and they know it. Then, they could, with just a few hours of programming investment, probably revamp the site and create a tool which actually works on a mobile phone and has a design which is more like 2023 and less like 2003...
Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
There's no shortage of competitors to flightmemory, they certainly have no dominant position. I would say the rather unimpressive user interface is more likely due to a shortage of resources, not any kind of "exploitation".

Personally I've been double logging on flightmemory and openflights for years, just in case one site goes belly up. It's not hard to copy past from the table on flightmemory if you want an offline copy of your records. But if you care, then openflights has a button to export a nice csv for you

Or if you want a professional looking modern interface go to myFR24.
cmn.jcs likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But Myfr24 only goes back a year unless you pay $499 for a commercial version that costs $499 a year!?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:57 am

You may be right, I don't know. I don't use it, the free sites satisfy my requirements.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then what was the point of citing it? This thread is about flightmemory of sites that are similar, meaning for people that want to generally track their lifetime flying, not just one year or 3 years of lying. FR has a purpose, I use it all the time, however your post implied that there was some hidden functionality that I had somehow missed. Otherwise talking about a "modern interface" or whatever means nothing as I could cite 1000 websites and apps that have a better interface, but similarly they would not fit this purpose.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:20 pm

I was pointing out that when you pay nothing for a web service, and the site in question has no third party ads, then perhaps you should temper your expectations of the services rendered. If you want better service, snazzier websites, etc, don't be surprised if you are asked to pay for it.

Also, I think you may be confusing the main flightradar24 site (that tracks all/most commercial passenger aircraft movements) and myFR24, previously known as flightdiary.net, which is a personal travel history tracker just like flightmemory. At least for the moment FR24 and myFR24 operate separately.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: QF, HH
On a side note: Hmm, so nothing that you folks know of for noting hotels on a map?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:11 pm
lya

Originally Posted by hfly
But Myfr24 only goes back a year unless you pay $499 for a commercial version that costs $499 a year!?
That's the FR24 subscription. MyFR24 is free to use, although you'll have to manually fill out the flight info.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
update? Anyone have the flightmemory poster?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:16 pm

Hello All,

I finally went down the path of exporting my data, keeping it for safekeeping, and uploading into MyFlightRadar24. I mostly undertook this project, as I wanted a backup, just in case, and I want a more zoom-able map. CA for me on FlightMemory is just a blob.

https://my.flightradar24.com/Cactus_J/

So, here is how I did it:Getting it into MFR24 is a bit more... challenging...
  • First Save your file as a CSV.
  • You MUST have the date column in the YYYY-MM-DD format
    • Excel will really screw with you here, I had do set my Region in Windows to have that date format
  • The Duration MUST be in the format HH:MM:SS
    • Again, Excel.... figure it out...
  • I modified all of my lines for Airlines and but I still can't get them to import. Maybe you can.

In MYFR24 is super easy to Delete All Flights, so... I have imported, reviewed and deleted about 7 times now. My total mileage is off just a bit, but the numbers and hours are correct.

Xyzzy, expert7700 and cmn.jcs like this.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Feb 2, 2024 at 1:38 pm
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Hello All,

I finally went down the path of exporting my data, keeping it for safekeeping, and uploading into MyFlightRadar24. I mostly undertook this project, as I wanted a backup, just in case, and I want a more zoom-able map. CA for me on FlightMemory is just a blob.

https://my.flightradar24.com/Cactus_J/

So, here is how I did it:Getting it into MFR24 is a bit more... challenging...
  • First Save your file as a CSV.
  • You MUST have the date column in the YYYY-MM-DD format
    • Excel will really screw with you here, I had do set my Region in Windows to have that date format
  • The Duration MUST be in the format HH:MM:SS
    • Again, Excel.... figure it out...
  • I modified all of my lines for Airlines and but I still can't get them to import. Maybe you can.
Thanks -- I'm ging to give this a try. ... but since I'm on MacOS that's not going too well... I've got all the modules but I'm not sure where the front end is so i can enter my info...

Last edited by Xyzzy; Feb 13, 2024 at 12:26 pm
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Thanks -- I'm ging to give this a try. ... but since I'm on MacOS that's not going too well... I've got all the modules but I'm not sure where the front end is so i can enter my info...
You are either going to have to run it on a Windows box, or compile from source. Sorry, not much help from me on either of those.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.