map whakojacko
map zurichflyer
map Catweazle
Print Wikipost

FlightMemory

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodtricks
Just discovered this..... Trying to back fill an entire life of flights is not easy. I've been able to go back to summer 2008. Now only 23 more years of flights to remember/collect.
Good luck! When I was filling in mine, I started at 2002. I decided that would be the start of the "Frequent Flyer Era" as it's when I started keeping paper records of everything from registration numbers to departure and arrival times. Plus, that was the first year I made sure to earn mileage on every flight I took and the first year I became an elite. Maybe you can find a similar lime of demarcation in your life and add accordingly.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by stdatwmu

EDIT:

I've done a little more searching and found three helpful sites...

http://www.acarsd.org/world_ACARS_reports.html

http://www.antonakis.co.uk/acars.php?page=request

http://www.libhomeradar.org/databasequery/index.php

God bless the internet!

I had 10 international flights that I didn't have registration numbers for, so I gave these sites a try. I was only able to find one registration number, so now, I still have nine int'l flights that I don't have registration numbers for.

Are other users having as small a success rate as I am having?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
Originally Posted by skidv25
I had 10 international flights that I didn't have registration numbers for, so I gave these sites a try. I was only able to find one registration number, so now, I still have nine int'l flights that I don't have registration numbers for.

Are other users having as small a success rate as I am having?
Since you're American, this one may be useful:

http://www.bts.gov/xml/ontimesummary.../src/index.xml

Too bad it starts in 1995, and I'm missing several registrations from 1993.

Since I have every tail number for the last 3 years, I've been chasing those of 2005-2007, and I decided to e-mail some of the airlines, in order to get the registration from them. I knew that success would be very unlikely, but hey, SQ and KE provided the registration I was looking for. ANA and TG, on the other hand, said that too much time has elapsed to retrieve this information (I don't believe it, but at least they replied), and I've got nothing from another 3 requests.

I may try with some European airlines, but I very much doubt that they'll bother to check that out; Asian service is usually far superior.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by josmon10

I'm already aware of that site, and I've used it to fill in the missing information for my flights since mid-2005. It works very well for domestic flights, but it does not have data for international flights, so it is of no use to me as I try to finish off my last nine international flights.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
I am also really interested in finding a way to look up older registration numbers. I have kept all my boarding passes, and wrote down the registrations since 2005. But I would really appreciate any ideas of how I can find registrations for international flights pre-2005!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:28 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by josmon10

I really really wish Canada kept a similar database...
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: BA, EI & VS
I want to thank everyone for the links. You guys are awesome! ^
Old Feb 8, 2011, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ssb2045
Just curious to see how you guys track time of flights with regard to delays. For example, I was on a DL Shuttle flight last night that was scheduled to depart 7pm, delayed to 8pm (arr. 935pm), then pushed back and held on the Tarmac for an hour and a half, then finally arrived in Chicago at 1040. I usually just put the scheduled times down, since I rarely remember the exact time a flight actually takes off or lands. How about you?
I usually enter the flights within a week or two of actually flying, so I look up the actual gate departure and gate arrival times on http://www.flightstats.com and use those.

Technically, the FAA's runway departure and runway arrival times would be the best, but that's another few clicks on every flight, and knock on wood, I've always taken off within a few minutes of departing the gate.

Note to shoggoth: FlightStats has an API. Perhaps you could use them to power your flight duration calculation? Not sure what the cost is, but that would be worth a Premium Subscription to me (saving me lots of time when I'm entering data)...

Last edited by jackal; Feb 9, 2011 at 1:45 am Reason: I was reeeeaaaaallllly tired last night when I posted :o
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Note to shoggoth: FlightMemory has an API. Perhaps you could use them to power your flight duration calculation? Not sure what the cost is, but that would be worth a Premium Subscription to me (saving me lots of time when I'm entering data)...
Hi there,

Unfortunately we have no real API, yet. We need to build one during this year, but the plans are rather for an outgoing API (stats and maps and stuff to other sites). Due to some issues we are already facing, we are a bit scared of taking data into the system...and of course, the costs need to fit what we can achieve with PremiumMemberships....i.e. most offers for external data are per transaction models and these are really hard to put on top of the PremiumMembership as it differs a lot per user...and nobody would buy a Membership that has no fixed price...
Also - all the flight data such as real duration is only available in some countries...the US seems very open with that, Germany for example is the complete opposite - its even illegal to track planes by their transponders, which services in the US and other European countries use quite often...

So there is no easy solution, yet....we will probably decide definitely on the future roadmap of FM during the next couple of months, so we will try to keep you posted...which we are bad at as well...
Thanks for your support - we really appreciate it!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by shoggoth
Unfortunately we have no real API, yet.
OOPS OOPS OOPS OOPS OOPS!!

I was really tired last night when I posted.

I meant to say that FlightStats has an API and that you guys could tap into that to power your schedule data.

I would definitely pay for a FlightMemory premium membership if I could just type the date and flight number in and you automatically filled in the departure and arrival time (and as much other data as you could pull--aircraft type, etc.).

Sorry for the confusion! I've edited my post above to make more sense.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
I'm already aware of that site, and I've used it to fill in the missing information for my flights since mid-2005. It works very well for domestic flights, but it does not have data for international flights, so it is of no use to me as I try to finish off my last nine international flights.
I used it to look up everything since 2005 and it was really helpful, except for one flight. It was a DL Connection RJ operated by Mesaba, which isn't one of the options for carrier (they're now owned by Pinnacle, but that didn't bring up any info either). I'm trying to fill in the one gap in my record, anyone have advice?

Flight was DL 3447 MEM-ORD on 3/8/10, on a CRJ-900
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
How do you find tail numbers on this site?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by jefi99
How do you find tail numbers on this site?
There are a few ways to do it, but here's what I do...

Under "detailed statistics," click on "departures."
Select whatever stats you want; I usually just choose "Scheduled departure time."
Choose an airline and origin city.
Choose a date, or multiple dates.
Submit!

Depending on the parameters of your search, you may end up with only a few flights or a few hundred. If needed, use ctrl+F (or the Mac equivalent) to search for your destination airport code to narrow down the results. You can then use the scheduled departure time, or whatever statistic(s) you selected, to confirm that you've found the right flight.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:54 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
There are a few ways to do it, but here's what I do...

Under "detailed statistics," click on "departures."
Select whatever stats you want; I usually just choose "Scheduled departure time."
Choose an airline and origin city.
Choose a date, or multiple dates.
Submit!

Depending on the parameters of your search, you may end up with only a few flights or a few hundred. If needed, use ctrl+F (or the Mac equivalent) to search for your destination airport code to narrow down the results. You can then use the scheduled departure time, or whatever statistic(s) you selected, to confirm that you've found the right flight.

Hope that helps!
If you have the flight number, I'd search by that - Choose "Select All" instead of "Scheduled Departure time", and you'll get all of the data - the Flight Number will be the third column, tail number just after that (note that for AA it shows the ship number, not the actual tail number, and you can use rzjets.net to translate), as well as the departure and wheels up times.

We put this wiki page together for AA that may be useful for others as well:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...mbers_%28AA%29
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Besides international flights, the holes in my airplane registration data are:

Midwest Airlines flights
Comair flights from the mid to late 90's
pre-1995 domestic flights

It's too bad that there seems to be no way to track this information down at this point in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.