Wiki Posts
Search

CoMETS is now available for Mac OS X and for Windows

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM
Originally Posted by mrdini
*Slaps forehead* I was looking at the mileage for the first "segment" only! And forgot to add the mileage for ZQN-SYD-HKG!
mrdini, it sounds like you might have missed one of CoMETS' less obvious features: for itineraries with a ground segment, such as open jaws, just leave one destination field blank. For your itinerary, that would be:
LHR-LAX-NAN-AKL- -ZQN-SYD-HKG
Note, also, that the red and white triangles beneath these fields are not simply decorative; they let you quickly delete or insert segments; your other segments are moved to the right or to the left as appropriate. (I wish united.com had this feature. )

Last edited by SeattleFred; Oct 30, 2005 at 5:38 pm
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeattleFred
CoMETS was first released on October 4th, 2004 for Mac OS X. A Windows version was released two months later. Although labeled as CoMETS Beta 1, the software has proven to be very stable and I have not needed to issue any updates.

Since the initial release, the CoMETS website has had nearly 1000 visits.
It took a year to receive the first 1000 visitors, but only 2 months for the next 1000! Some day I might regret that I solicited feedback, but as I plan CoMETS 2.0, I welcome all comments and suggestions.

BTW, I will be at the Seattle MR Seminar tomorrow and I look forward to meeting some of you.

--SeattleFred
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
It took a year to receive the first 1000 visitors, but only 2 months for the next 1000! Some day I might regret that I solicited feedback, but as I plan CoMETS 2.0, I welcome all comments and suggestions.

BTW, I will be at the Seattle MR Seminar tomorrow and I look forward to meeting some of you.

--SeattleFred

A couple of places for custom Shortcuts/URLS. SO for windows, I could set as an option, c:\programfiles\flying fish\ ???.exe

That way each person can add a couple handy launch buttons to comets.... I would use AA Timetables, Oneworld TimeTable, and Flying fish myself. I could even default to flytertalk.com launched with IE, as long as we can set them.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K;
I am using CoMets to track my miles and find it to be really easy and straight forward. It is intuitive and gives you the information you want.

I had an opportunity to talk to Seatlefred at the Mileage Run seminar in Seattle on Saturday and let him know what a great free tool he has designed and shared with FTers.

Take a look at it if you haven't tried it.

http://www.ftcomets.com/
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ja_user
A couple of places for custom Shortcuts/URLS. SO for windows, I could set as an option, c:\programfiles\flying fish\ ???.exe

That way each person can add a couple handy launch buttons to comets.... I would use AA Timetables, Oneworld TimeTable, and Flying fish myself. I could even default to flytertalk.com launched with IE, as long as we can set them.
While compiling a list of features requested for CoMETS v2, I realized I had not responded to this one. I like this idea a lot and it will definitely be in v2—thanks for the suggestion.

Keep those requests coming…
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:07 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
I'm getting an odd error in the mileage calculation... it's consistently telling me I have 1,750 more redeemable miles than I actually should. I've deleted all the itineraries and put them back in from scratch, with the exact same difference in mileage!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
I'm getting an odd error in the mileage calculation... it's consistently telling me I have 1,750 more redeemable miles than I actually should. I've deleted all the itineraries and put them back in from scratch, with the exact same difference in mileage!
That is odd indeed; would you mind posting (or PM'ing) your itineraries? As this is the first report of a potential calculation problem in CoMETS, I'd like to get to the bottom of it asap.

Last edited by SeattleFred; Jan 3, 2006 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:26 am

Fred
Two queries
1. Can Comet v2 handle 28 segments in a *alliance RTW schedule?

2. What is the ETA of Comet v2?

TKS
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gold Member
Fred
Two queries
1. Can Comet v2 handle 28 segments in a *alliance RTW schedule?

2. What is the ETA of Comet v2?

TKS
1. Sheesh. I thought I was being generous by allowing for 16 segments per itiinerary in CoMETS. I'll put doubling the maximum number of segments per itinerary on the feature request list, but I won't promise anything. I'm sure you realize that CoMETS can handle this now if you split your trip into two itineraries (and, of course, I realize that this is not very elegant).

How many of you have had itineraries with more than 16 segments?

(How long before someone starts the Most Segments in an Itinerary thread?)

2. No ETA yet.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:25 am

Programs: some
Awesome too and fantastic that you're sharing it with the FT community! *big thumbs up*
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
How many of you have had itineraries with more than 16 segments?
Pretty much anyone on a RTW.

Thanks for the tool though. ^
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
Pretty much anyone on a RTW.

Thanks for the tool though. ^
So, how many segments would be adequate? Has anyone had more than 32 segments on a single itinerary?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:54 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
So, how many segments would be adequate? Has anyone had more than 32 segments on a single itinerary?
I think 32 has to be close to, if not above, the theoretical limit, at least based on the RTWs I know reasonably well.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA GM/Hyatt Diamond/SPG Gold/HI Plat/HHonor Gold/Delta GM
Thanks...

Thanks!!! This tool is very useful to MR planning and tracking. I hope there will be more enhancement in the future to make this even better.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I downloaded the airline update file, but I don't see Air China Limited (CA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.