FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Flight Price Notifications? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/2092374-flight-price-notifications.html)

jerry90210 Aug 28, 2022 9:59 pm

Flight Price Notifications?

I fly with either Delta, American or Jetblue. I normally use orbitz to check the prices as it gives you an overall summary of the prices for certain days. Then I go directly to Delta, American or Jetblue site to look at the prices to confirm and book it. Is there a way to get notification of any price change or if the price goes below a certain point at an airline? Example say you booked a flight via Jetblue for $500 but want to make a change if you see a price drop on the same day or different time or around that time. Or if you haven't booked a flight yet and just looking at prices daily until it is a price you are okay with.

Is there an app for that? I use an iphone and then go to each app to check the prices manually. But I would prefer if there is a way for notification anytime there is a price change? For example could you select several flights on certain days and get notification of whenever there is a price change? Whether it's an increase or decrease? Thus you get an email or notification and its saying okay the price of the flight you are looking at... let say LA to Dallas has went up or down on Tuesday and that flight leaves at 3pm and arrives 6pm? Say you put several of the flights you want to look at.

Is there an app for this to get notification?

Zorak Aug 28, 2022 11:07 pm

Google Flights has a notification feature. You can have it monitor all flights on a particular outbound day (and return if applicable), including certain filters, or monitor the price of a specific itinerary. It will then email you when the price changes (whether up or down)

TWA884 Aug 29, 2022 9:46 am

Ypata, Hopper, Google Flights, Kayak, SkyScanner, Airfarewatchdog, momondo

hoipolloi Nov 19, 2022 5:55 am

Which service offers the closest to real time notifications (email/sms/push) for airfare price changes. Google Flights notifications are far from real time

fuyao Nov 23, 2022 8:53 am

Doesn't orbitz offer an upgrade for a few $ to payback any fare difference to a lower price if the price drops after ticketing?

hoipolloi Dec 10, 2022 3:52 am

Originally Posted by fuyao (Post 34779742)
Doesn't orbitz offer an upgrade for a few $ to payback any fare difference to a lower price if the price drops after ticketing?

we don't wanna book flights via an OTA like Orbitz. Booking direct with airline only

SkyExplorerYYZ Jul 31, 2023 12:46 pm

What's the best tool to track flexible itineraries. For example, Kayak and Google Flights are great at tracking flights between a handful of airports to a handful of other airports, on a specific day. But that doesn't really help me if I have flexibility and flights are 20% cheaper the week after, or even the day after.

For example, say that I am eying a trip in Q1 2024 to Singapore, Thailand or Australia on a Star Alliance partner starting in Canada. I don't care about when I am going during that window. What would be the best way to find the cheapest weeks and/or to be alerted when prices for specific dates drop? Is there such a tool?

jennywhite Aug 12, 2023 1:20 pm

I mostly use Skyscanner flight notifications. Works well
When it comes to purchasing tickets, i prefer to do it with the airlines mostly. Once I booked it with the edreams and had difficulties to get this edreams refund afterwards. My second experience with them was already much better, so i don't mind to do another booking with them one day.

jerry90210 Oct 28, 2023 2:22 am

Is there an app on the iphone for this? All I do is check orbitz since it's faster than going directly to delta, jetblue or american. These are the 3 airlines I fly with.

jerry90210 Dec 8, 2023 12:25 am

Is there an app that would alert you when there is a price change whether an increase or decrease in flight prices? Say you want to do this with only delta, american and jetblue. You will be flying from where you are located to someone else but want to check for a low price cost during say within a 2 week span. You look daily at the prices the last week or so and notice sometimes prices change going up or down. But most of the time when checking it a few times a day, the prices stay the same.

Is there an app that would send you a notification on your iphone or on the computer somehow? Obviously having a notification on your phone is better than it being like an email where you have to manually check. Also is there a way to filter it such that you only want nonstop flights from within this 2 week span and it's only with say delta, american or jetblue? Like imagine you not checking the prices one day and then that day, you could have gotten a good low price ticket but then that price went back up a day later.

Thanks.

Does anyone know what app I can use on the iphone? Obviously checking this on the laptop isn't that good either right? Like a notification on your phone every times there is a price change for a chosen destination to and from and using a 2 week period range.

jerry90210 Dec 10, 2023 8:15 pm

What is the official google flights website? I am trying to get to the site on my iphone. Is there an app for that on the iphone or just visit the site under my google email on the phone?

Now the thing is if you want to check it for say a 2 week period... do you need to manually do it for each and every day? It seems you have to click on track prices for that day? Also say you want to filter it to where you get notification for price changes only for nonstop flights. I notice earlier you can do that as well and other filters can only checking certain airlines.

The thing now though is how do you get a notification alert on your iphone with a sound and notification on the screen.... only when you there is a price change to those days you put? Such that any other gmail or yahoo emails you receive for example you don't get notification sound. I only want a notification sound when there is a price change on the dates I chose. Can someone tell me how I can do this? Because even if I click track prices for each of the days, the issue is only way I will know about it is I manually check my email every single time. I want an alert and sound where it would show a notification from google flights and then say so and so price has went or dropped to x amount. Can someone tell me how to do this? I am not tech savy with the iphone.

TWA884 Dec 10, 2023 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by jerry90210 (Post 35812240)
What is the official google flights website?

https://www.google.com/travel/flights/

Please refer to the following thread for additional information.

jerry90210 Dec 10, 2023 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 35812267)

Okay. I will post there then.

frflies Apr 17, 2024 9:09 am

My girlfriend and I try to have a weekend abroad once a month or so.
We keep a running list of destinations and usually start looking for reasonably priced flights a month or two beforehand.
The flight search is incredibly time-consuming, however, especially with prices fluctuating wildly from day to day – sometimes doubling/halving completely out of the blue 🙄

I tried all the services mentioned above but none of them offer notifications really useful to us:
  • they all generally force you to specify exact outbound and inbound dates
  • they do not let you set a price threshold (to be notified only when prices drop below it)

We were using Google Flights till recently as it has a "flexible dates" kind of option for the alerts, but it wasn't really working that well.
The "flexible dates" option really only returns 1-week spans – whereas we're more interested in 2-3 days weekend getaways – and the notifications are spotty and unreliable.
Plus, there's no way to specify a max price threshold.
They basically end up sending random notifications for minor price fluctuations, which isn't really useful. I mean, I couldn't care less that my flight is now 8€ cheaper than before at 400€ 🤦‍♂️

An app we discovered recently is Airfare Alerts.
It's been great for our needs as it lets us set trip alerts, specifying the max price threshold, the length of our trip in days, and the travel period we're interested in.
Then it notifies us only when a flight solution matching our parameters is found.
We ended up subscribing too to be able to set multiple alerts for each of our wish list destinations. Initially I was a bit annoyed that it's a paid service... But to be fair it's easily worth the price: we saved more than 40€ on our next getaway – to Malaga 🌴. Not to mention the amount of search time it spared us. And that's just on a single trip. For frequent travelers I think it's a no-brainer really. Would definitely recommend. Check it out.