Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Skip Baggage Claim!

Skip Baggage Claim!

Old Dec 30, 20, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dsftm View Post
Not a formal partnership. However, it's designed to be as seamless as possible for you, so bag tags and descriptions are not required. We'll identify your items ourselves. We also take full responsibility for your items while in our possession. If your items are misplaced or delayed by the airline, we'll handle the process of retrieving your items on your behalf.
As OP Mentions, this is not affiliated with DL in any way, therefore we will move this to the Travel Tools section of the site.

Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Lines
Old Dec 30, 20, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sorry to be a killjoy. While I express no comment on this business idea, there are several key issues that this business can fail at anytime before it start.

1. The use of Delta's IP in a commercial setting is usually not a fair use. Without the endorsement or approval by Delta, linking your service
with Delta can make OP's company facing serious consequences.

2. (Previously mentioned) Basically, each and every business operators in an airport must have the airport authority's approval before operating, which in this case, SFO has to approve it. Without the approval, OP's business can be viewed as illegal by SFO.

3. There are certain California-specific disclosures required to be posted on the website. Nothing has shown up.

4. Per a search at CA SOS, the company does not exist (even assuming incorporated in DE, paperworks must still be filed with CA SOS).

5. The company's location is a shared workspace.

I would suggest OP re-group and fix the problems.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 30, 20 at 8:56 pm Reason: Better left for an alert to the moderator
Old Dec 30, 20, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

This thread falls within the Travel Tools forum guidelines which you can read in the Welcome thread. We allow members to introduce and explain new tools, services, apps and software that are used to optimize the travel experience.

I will not delete or close this thread.

If you have issues with the OP's business model or their compliance with state laws or airport regulations, you are free to post those here. We welcome and encourage members' feedback and reviews of tools and service that are introduced and discussed in this forum.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Dec 31, 20, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Sorry to be a killjoy. While I express no comment on this business idea, there are several key issues that this business can fail at anytime before it start.

1. The use of Delta's IP in a commercial setting is usually not a fair use. Without the endorsement or approval by Delta, linking your service
with Delta can make OP's company facing serious consequences.

2. (Previously mentioned) Basically, each and every business operators in an airport must have the airport authority's approval before operating, which in this case, SFO has to approve it. Without the approval, OP's business can be viewed as illegal by SFO.

3. There are certain California-specific disclosures required to be posted on the website. Nothing has shown up.

4. Per a search at CA SOS, the company does not exist (even assuming incorporated in DE, paperworks must still be filed with CA SOS).

5. The company's location is a shared workspace.

I would suggest OP re-group and fix the problems.
By all means feel free to express any issues you may have.... there’s no joy to kill. I also admonish your to reread the original post again.
You can also test us out to see if any of the above prevents us from delivering on our promise.
Old Dec 31, 20, 2:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can your service be replicated by the customer on a DIY basis? Hypothetically, if I don't want to wait for my bag at the airport, can I arrange for Uber or Lyft to deliver it to me? This isn't different in principle from UberEats etc., but I don't think this function is on their app and AFAIK the only way to request service is through the app. A workaround might be to call for the Uber/Lyft as if they're picking *you* up at the airport, but when contact is established with the driver, tell him/her the flight number, tag number, and description of the bag. The driver then needs to park someplace for a few minutes while the bag is collected. Many drivers would be unhappy and want to reject the "ride" at that stage, but a big tip (since tipping is allowed on the app) could mitigate that. Would Uber/Lyft prohibit or block their app from being used this way? I know it's apparently possible to order and pay for someone else's ride when your phone is far away, and this seems very similar to this situation.

In the USA, DL tends to deliver (delayed, lost, IROPs, etc.) bags via van using a dedicated third party service. Sometimes there's one service provider at the airport and scheduled runs are shared by all airlines. In Europe, it seems typical for the bag to be delivered by taxi to your hotel when it arrives, often being received at the hotel in the middle of the night. I suspect that the taxi option is quite expensive for DL or the delivering partner carrier.

DL and SFO might not be the best combination to start this service. A surprisingly large fraction of checked DL bags really do arrive within 20 minutes of the flight's arrival (or DL "pays" the customer 2500 RDMs), often appearing on the belt before the passenger can walk from the gate to baggage claim. As someone mentioned upthread, the JFK-SFO D1 route doesn't really currently offer premium service or aircraft and DL's operations at SFO are too small to attract a lot of business and high value customers. IME it's most convenient to not take a bag with me from the airport when I'll be using packed subways for transportation, including transfers (BART doesn't quite fit this description) or when I must go from the airport immediately to a meeting (but time zones and flight schedules make this unlikely for SFO arrivals versus redeye flights from the west coast to the east coast that nicely arrive in the early morning), or alternatively I arrive far too early to have access to my hotel room before I go off to do something.

About ten years ago, Chicago had a paid bag delivery service from major downtown (convention) hotels and DL participated. There was a desk (that didn't look permanent) set up in the lobby in the morning and you could go there to check in (or check the bag if you prefer OLCI) and pay the service fee. The bag would be delivered to ORD and put onto your flight, provided that you leave the bag at the desk maybe four hours before scheduled departure time. This would seem most attractive at hotels that charge for baggage storage after check out (or that don't have secure baggage storage) and if you plan to use crowded subways etc. to go to the airport after a series of meetings or tourist activities during the day.
Old Dec 31, 20, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can your service be replicated by the customer on a DIY basis? .
When the app is available, it will be as easy as just uploading your boarding pass, and paying. And we handle the rest, you literally wouldn't have to worry about uber/lyft or any of those issues.
Yes you make a lot of valid points, however launching with Delta at SFO was not a random decision. I'll be publishing an article soon, which will provide more context and give a holistic view of what we're trying to accomplish.
Old Mar 6, 21, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Here's a link to the article I promised. I wrote about what we're working towards accomplishing ---> Future of Travel
Old Mar 8, 21, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
In the UK I used a similar service, called Airportr. They picked up my luggage at the hotel and (AFAIK) I had to check it in at LGW (or maybe they did the checkin, but I had to pick it up from their booth and drop it at the airline's desk). It works/worked the other way too, but I don't know the details, as we never used them from the airport(s) to London.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: