Wiki Posts
Search

AwardMapper.com - Search for Hotel Awards by Geography [Closed Down]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:02 pm
Company Representative, AwardMapper
Original Poster

AwardMapper.com - Search for Hotel Awards by Geography [Closed Down]

I know it's been months since this question was asked, but I had the same problem searching hotels when I knew the destination. I had to open a browser tab for each chain, and it gets tedious.

I created a site to allow for searching hotels by chain or number of points, mainly for my own use. Since it's probably of some use to others, I've made it live.

Since hotel chains don't allow external queries of their available award nights, it doesn't allow searching by date to see actual availability, just participating hotels, and their categories/points requirements.

http://www.awardmapper.com

I'd appreciate feedback.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:41 pm

Awesome--this was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Well, I would love to be able to book through this site too, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

To give a concrete example: I am going to be in the Lake Como region of Italy and then driving down to Rome. I want to spend a night at a nice hotel somewhere in between, and I have points with all of the major chains. It's hard to search for that kind of a hotel, because even if I have each chain's webpage up, I wouldn't know, for example, that there's a hotel in "Barga, Italy" (I've never even heard of Barga). But using this map I see that there's the "Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa" in the town of Barga, about 4 hours south of Como and 4 hours north of Rome, precisely what I wanted. So this is really helpful.

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by AwardMapper
I know it's been months since this question was asked, but I had the same problem searching hotels when I knew the destination. I had to open a browser tab for each chain, and it gets tedious.

I created a site to allow for searching hotels by chain or number of points, mainly for my own use. Since it's probably of some use to others, I've made it live.

Since hotel chains don't allow external queries of their available award nights, it doesn't allow searching by date to see actual availability, just participating hotels, and their categories/points requirements.

http://www.awardmapper.com

I'd appreciate feedback.
Very nice! Thanks for doing this.
It would be great if you could add other hotel chains, especially Choice and Wyndham.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:19 am

This is great!
Are the Conrad hotels added? I tried a few cities with Conrads and didn't see them come up.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Nice idea but needs work. I tried to type Tokyo in the search box but it doesn't find it. Also airport codes don't work (ie TYO, NRT, HND). When I zoom via the map I can get to Tokyo but it doesn't show either the Conrad Tokyo or the Hilton Tokyo Bay.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StevenH123
Nice idea but needs work. I tried to type Tokyo in the search box but it doesn't find it. Also airport codes don't work (ie TYO, NRT, HND). When I zoom via the map I can get to Tokyo but it doesn't show either the Conrad Tokyo or the Hilton Tokyo Bay.
I've changed how the search box works. It now understands Tokyo, and seems to understand airport codes as well.

I'll check why some Hilton hotels in Japan are missing, and get that corrected.
Conrad hotels were a complete miss. I can get those added this weekend.

Thanks guys, and keep the feedback coming.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:12 am

First of all...awesome site! I do think it would be nice to be able to filter off certain chains. I know they are grouped on the right hand side but if I wanted to only see Hyatt or Hilton but not the other.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MNHunter
First of all...awesome site! I do think it would be nice to be able to filter off certain chains. I know they are grouped on the right hand side but if I wanted to only see Hyatt or Hilton but not the other.
I was worried that people might miss this. The colored squares with stars in the 'hotel chains' box are checkboxes that let you toggle the chains. My design person thought this looked nicer, but it may not be conveying the purpose.

Hopefully that solves your problem.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:21 pm

I've changed how the search box works. It now understands Tokyo, and seems to understand airport codes as well.
Search is much better now. As an FYI, it seems to understand specific airports like NRT & HND but not airport grouping codes like TYO. This is a minor flaw that isn't significant to me.

My two cents: Maybe changing the "stars" to "check marks" in the hotel check-boxes might make their function clearer
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Conrad hotels were a complete miss. I can get those added this weekend.
Conrad and WaldorfAstoria hotels have been added.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

I just looked at the tool for the first time and like it a lot. The Hotel Martinez, recently a Hyatt, needs added for Cannes.

Another tool I've used for years, developed by another FlyerTalker, is Hotel Magician. You choose the chains of interest and the distance from the desired place to stay. I've found it invaluable in searching for hotels where I can use miles and points in areas that are unknown to me. It was mentioned above by onthego15.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:07 pm

Great tool. Used it for a half dozen locations in the last few days. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StevenH123
Great tool. Used it for a half dozen locations in the last few days. Thanks.
Thanks! Glad to help.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:57 am
Community Director Emerita

The more I use awardmapper, the more I love it.

Please check your listings for Sicily. It's not pulling up any. Yet there is a Hilton and a Starwood property at a minimum.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The more I use awardmapper, the more I love it.

Please check your listings for Sicily. It's not pulling up any. Yet there is a Hilton and a Starwood property at a minimum.
On the site, I see a Hilton Giardini Naxos, and an Excelcior Hilton Palermo.
There's also a Sheraton Catania.

Were you expecting others, or are you not even seeing these?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.