Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Apps that Record Routes You've Traveled

Old Jun 13, 20, 7:09 am
Original Poster

I performed a cursory search for a 12 month time period...if I missed something Mod, feel free to merge...

Assuming I have local wifi and/or GPS, are there any apps that record the route I have traveled? I'd like to better record my travel experiences, specifically those when walking. For example, if I start at point X, walk for several hours, with stops along the way, and end at point Y, I'd like to have a record of the route without having to make voice or written notes. Certainly there are apps that measure distance, steps, etc., but that is not my goal.

Thanks and safe travels!
Old Jun 13, 20, 10:11 am

If you turn on Google location history in Google map, it will do that for you in both iPhone and Android. It will record everything (walk, biking, driving, etc...) as long as you have access to internet. If you have google photo app installed, it will even correlate your location with the pictures you took.

I can go back 10 years and knew exactly what I did that day down to the minutes.... Funny thing is that every month, Google sends you email about the "highlights" location of the month. Like "diseyworld", "tokyo", "paris", etc... you get the idea. The last 3 months, I am getting, "Costco", "Home Depot"... closest to my house LOL.
becks1, ajGoes and allset2travel like this.

Last edited by Need; Jun 13, 20 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 13, 20, 10:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've just started using Strava for my walks. It only records the route rather than where you stopped, but is very accurate. I have it installed on my Galaxy Watch so I don't need to do anything on my phone.

I also use the Google history as mentioned about. However, I find sometimes it doesn't record the routes accurately.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 13, 20, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I've just started using Strava for my walks. It only records the route rather than where you stopped, but is very accurate. I have it installed on my Galaxy Watch so I don't need to do anything on my phone.

I also use the Google history as mentioned about. However, I find sometimes it doesn't record the routes accurately.
Yeah I think Google history only records when you have solid data connection, and even then sometime it decided to skip the exact route and concentrated on locations. When I do hikes, without data, it only shows me going in straight lines from location to location. But here a pic of my Amsterdam walking tour, it does pretty well in capturing the route and correlated the pictures. You can see where I eat breakfast and what I ate in the Google photo too.

DYKWIA and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 13, 20, 12:56 pm

Have you looked at geotagging apps? I use the old gps4cam app on iOS. It works in iOS Airplane mode as GPS is left on in Airplane mode. Quantified on iOS has an Activity Tracking feature Quantified Map ? Ludovic Landry
Old Jun 13, 20, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Check out today's National Post, and download the Tim Horton's app. Apparently it tracks you everywhere....
Old Jun 13, 20, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, Marriott Bonvoy
I use MapMyWalk app for that. It is also very helpful should you lose connectivity along the way and need to retrace your route back to your origin.
NBwoodstock and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 14, 20, 3:29 am

I am a big fan of Strava. Been recording my walks/hikes/trekking/travels since 2015. It has everything I need to log my journey. It has the distance, time/moving time, elevation and so much more data available - I use the free version and has more than enough info and features for travel activities. If you allow geo data in photos and upload them, the map will place them in the location it was taken and you can run through your activity in real time or faster with a play back option (or use to, I dont use it but remember thinking it was interesting). It has a place for notes and photo comments as well as privacy features. Most of my activity is set to private - but posted links below of a few I made public to share with friends/family at one point. But even that is a small bit of the info on the activity you get to see from your account. Only negative is that it can sometimes lose the gps for too long if your phone is in a zipped pocket under layers and end up with this weird route line shooting across the map, but it can be edited from the desktop to correct it. I dont bother with it

(not completely sure if posting the links is okay? Sorry if not-not trying to promote myself.)
The comments and notes on my activities are very much meant for me and I dont use the social part of the app

Hikes:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1100766817

https://www.strava.com/activities/2427867146

Tour-drive&walk:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1357661918
Old Jun 14, 20, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I used to use Google Tracks but it went away at some point. Not wanting to figure out how they integrated it with the rest of their offerings, and also because I decided I didnít want Google tracking me 100% of the time by enabling location history, I switched to other apps that let me turn it on and off... there are plenty out there, especially of the fitness tracker variety. Running, cycling, skiing, etc. - and many of them can still be used outside of those activities they were designed for, but my favorite generic/all-purpose GPS tracking app is GPS Tracks: GPS Tracks by David Morneault
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gps-tracks/id425589565
Old Jun 14, 20, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Ex-VIP Fromins Deli Encino - 34 years grandfathered successor program status - UA Plat/HH Diamond
In keeping with FlyerTalk indexing norms, we'll move the thread to the "Travel Tools" forum.
Old Jun 21, 20, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the information. I will experiment with some of these. Having the geodata/photo combination is even better. Safe travels to all!
Old Jun 23, 20, 6:33 pm

will Strava record the route of a motorcycle ride in the hills on the road ,
lots of places with no cell service and I am sure there are some canyons that will not have good GPS signals ,

Thanks
Old Jun 23, 20, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
will Strava record the route of a motorcycle ride in the hills on the road ,
lots of places with no cell service and I am sure there are some canyons that will not have good GPS signals ,

Thanks
I don't see why not. I mountain bike and hike in the Santa Monica Mountains - Topanga State Park - in areas where there is zero cellular reception and my rides and hikes are accurately recorded. The data, however, is not synced or processed by the app until I have cellular data or WiFi connection. Same for the Fitbit app.
Old Jun 23, 20, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
I don't see why not. I mountain bike and hike in the Santa Monica Mountains - Topanga State Park - in areas where there is zero cellular reception and my rides and hikes are accurately recorded. The data, however, is not synced or processed by the app until I have cellular data or WiFi connection. Same for the Fitbit app.
Same here - but the point about GPS in canyons is still valid. I had some hikes in Yosemite with problems due to GPS bouncing off cliffs, and the same for some bike rides in NYC with building interference.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: