FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Hipmunk to be shut down by Concur 23 Jan 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/2004376-hipmunk-shut-down-concur-23-jan-2020-a.html)

JDiver Jan 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Hipmunk to be shut down by Concur 23 Jan 2020

Concur, which acquired the travel search site in 2016, announced Tuesday that Hipmunk will shut down on January 23, 2020. — Frequent Business Traveler (link)

Hipmunk was founded in 2010 by computer scientists Steve Huffman, who previously co-founded Reddit, and Adam Goldstein, who previously co-founded BookTour.

The search engine was the first travel site to sort results by duration, the number of stops, and hotel location. It was popular for providing search results via a timetable with colored bars ranked flights in descending order of “agony,” using a formula that the company created to incorporate price, duration, the number of stops, and departure and arrival times.
Yet another useful tool a number of us use being shut down by a company that bought them speculatively. :mad:

sokolov Jan 14, 2020 6:39 pm

I loved Hipmunk early on when you could use ITA Matrix style instructions for Hipmunk searches. But that was removed quite a while ago.

Upon reading the news, I decided to check Hipmunk out one more time. And it is not showing me Air Canada flights (except for a few combinations of another airline's flight plus an Air Canada codeshare). Is that a known issue? Done on purpose?

yosithezet Jan 15, 2020 4:52 am

Sad. The only aggregator I used.

RFNJ Jan 16, 2020 10:25 am

What alternatives does everyone suggest? This was my go-to site.

sokolov Jan 16, 2020 3:59 pm

To find what's out there, the ITA Matrix and flightsfrom.com.

If you don't want to dig that deep, Google Flights.

Splendiz Jan 24, 2020 2:58 am

Originally Posted by sokolov (Post 31959565)
To find what's out there, the ITA Matrix and flightsfrom.com.

If you don't want to dig that deep, Google Flights.

wow, didn't know about flightsfrom.com quite useful website, thanks! Very interesting to type in small airports and check the flights there are. :)

sokolov Jan 24, 2020 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Splendiz (Post 31988711)
wow, didn't know about flightsfrom.com quite useful website, thanks! Very interesting to type in small airports and check the flights there are. :)

It's not complete, but the best source I know. Very handy.

Splendiz Jan 24, 2020 3:44 am

Originally Posted by sokolov (Post 31988808)
It's not complete, but the best source I know. Very handy.

Just found that there is a flight from SIR to LHR. I would never have thought that there are commercial flights from that small airport. Also entered AIT as a test and the AIT to RAR flights are also showing up. Same goes for Boutique Air flights, which is quite nice.

sokolov Jan 26, 2020 9:17 am

MQC has several flights a day to FSP, but they aren't listed on flightsfrom.com. Also some of the routes flown by 4N are absent.

That's not a complaint. I know it's hard to get all that data. It just tells me that the information is not complete.