Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Inflight positioning map without wi-fi?

Old Dec 6, 18, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G, HH Dia, MR Platinum, IHG Amb/Plat, Hyatt Exp

Does such an animal exist for a smartphone, bypassing airline systems and wi-fi?

Thx....
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
How accurate? My iPhone will get a GPS signal and give me a general location on what I assumed is a low-detail locally-stored map in flight.
König likes this.
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Google maps, when offline maps are downloaded and saved on the device, Galileo Offline Maps and Flyover Country. I'm sure that there are more apps that are capable of showing your position when not connected to data or WiFi.
Old Dec 7, 18, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Google maps, when offline maps are downloaded and saved on the device, Galileo Offline Maps and Flyover Country. I'm sure that there are more apps that are capable of showing your position when not connected to data or WiFi.
On a recent flight from SFO to SAN Google Maps did display a map (and used GPS for location) despite flying over areas without offline maps. I suspect there's a low detail world map for such situations regardless of whether you choose to download additional ones.
Old Dec 7, 18, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G, HH Dia, MR Platinum, IHG Amb/Plat, Hyatt Exp
Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 18, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Google Maps has a full world map available at all times, even offline.

It will also cache areas that you've been, even where offline maps are not available/downloaded. If you put your phone in airplane made and then pan around in maps you'll see what level of detail is available when offline.

For example, I was in Tokyo last week. Offline maps are not available for Japan, but I can still zoom in to street level for the area around Tokyo even 5 days after I left. If I look elsewhere in Japan, I see only very high-level detail (no roads, only very major city names, etc).

Panning over the area that your flight is going to be going in advance does seem to cache enough information to show good detail when flying.
König likes this.
Old Dec 7, 18, 5:43 pm

In addition to the above replies, I would like to add that it might take a while for Google Maps to get the location from inside the plane while in flight. For me, it took anywhere from ~20s to a few minutes.
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by König View Post
In addition to the above replies, I would like to add that it might take a while for Google Maps to get the location from inside the plane while in flight. For me, it took anywhere from ~20s to a few minutes.
I use an Android app called "GPS Test" (there are dozens of similar ones available) that will show you the status of the GPS on the phone, including how good a signal it's getting and the location of the satellites.

Once it confirms that I've got a signal, then I jump over to Google Maps.

Also keep in mind that GPS's don't work well (or basically, at all) on 787's. On other aircraft they will work fine near the window, but likely not all that well elsewhere.
Old Dec 9, 18, 3:26 pm

Let me add HERE WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS to that list. (Android, iOS)
Old Dec 9, 18, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Baidu maps (much more detailed than Google in China) also works well offline.
Old Dec 10, 18, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
I use an Android app called "GPS Test" (there are dozens of similar ones available) that will show you the status of the GPS on the phone, including how good a signal it's getting and the location of the satellites.

Once it confirms that I've got a signal, then I jump over to Google Maps.

Also keep in mind that GPS's don't work well (or basically, at all) on 787's. On other aircraft they will work fine near the window, but likely not all that well elsewhere.
There isn't unfortunately a single one of them on the iPhone since unlike on Android, the iOS API doesn't provide that feature. That's really one of the aspects where any cheap Android phone beats the most expensive iPhone.
Old Dec 10, 18, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by martin_paris View Post
There isn't unfortunately a single one of them on the iPhone since unlike on Android, the iOS API doesn't provide that feature. That's really one of the aspects where any cheap Android phone beats the most expensive iPhone.
GPS Status & Toolbox, the Android version of which I have installed on my Samsung S9+ is also available in an iOS version in the App Store.
Old Dec 10, 18, 3:30 am

GPS Status & Toolbox, the Android version of which I have installed on my Samsung S9+ is also available in an iOS version in the App Store.
Unfortunately you just have to look at the comments of the iOS version to see just how bad it is. You can also compare the screenshots : the iOS version is nowhere close to the Android one. Indeed if you look at the webpage of MobiWia they never mention iOS. The issue is well explained in this stackexange post : https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ock-on-details