Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to find and alert on new fares filed by airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold

I have an expertflyer account and I use it to search for fares between pairs of cities. But is there a service that will alert you whenever a new fare has been filed in specific fare classes between cities that I'm interested in? It seems that a lot of time, when the fares get posted here or on one of the fare deals websites, it's already too late. Is there an automated way to monitor GDS to find out new fares that have been filed? Specifically, I'm looking for CX E/R fares, BA T fares and AA asterisk PE fares to Asia. Even if a service doesn't exist, is it possible to find these via some API? I might be able to create a tool. I recently sign up for a skyscanner API account, but I wonder if such a service (free/paid) already exists, or whether it's possible to build one via free/paid APIs available to end users (not restricted to travel agents or businesses).

Edit: I'm afraid I posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, can you move this to Mileage Run Discussion forum please. Apologies and thanks.
paulyeg likes this.

Last edited by nort; Aug 6, 2018 at 11:37 am Reason: wrong forum
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:01 pm

nort and paulyeg like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

That's very informative. Thanks very much.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:08 am

Yes, there is. Get an ATPCO / SITA account, then you can see any public fare there is. Will cost you min 10k$/year thou.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I asked ExpertFlyer about basically the same idea, creating fare alerts, years ago. The answer was that the fare queries were too expensive relative to things like seat map requests, availability requests, etc.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Poster

That's interesting. I was thinking how multiple carriers suddenly go on offering the same discounted prices between the same pairs of cities all at the same time. So, I guess the answer lies in querying the new fares from ATPCO ( or SITA?) and filing competing fares right away. They probably have millions of dollars worth of subscriptions, hardware and software doing the number crunching to do this. It doesn't make financial sense for an individual, but if a subscription service like ExpertFlyer can't monetize that as a business, I don't know who can.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 18sas
I asked ExpertFlyer about basically the same idea, creating fare alerts, years ago. The answer was that the fare queries were too expensive relative to things like seat map requests, availability requests, etc.
They do allow the premium members to perform unlimited fare queries right? I haven't looked into whether they can be automated. But do they see a big difference in the volume of queries (hence cost) between manual and automated fare queries?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the hackers/blogs offer paid subscriptions that will send out alerts for good fares (and mistake fares) FROM a particular airport or group of airports. I've listened to some discussions about this, but I've never used it and don't recall the details.]
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by nort
That's interesting. I was thinking how multiple carriers suddenly go on offering the same discounted prices between the same pairs of cities all at the same time. So, I guess the answer lies in querying the new fares from ATPCO ( or SITA?) and filing competing fares right away. They probably have millions of dollars worth of subscriptions, hardware and software doing the number crunching to do this. It doesn't make financial sense for an individual, but if a subscription service like ExpertFlyer can't monetize that as a business, I don't know who can.
Originally Posted by nort
They do allow the premium members to perform unlimited fare queries right? I haven't looked into whether they can be automated. But do they see a big difference in the volume of queries (hence cost) between manual and automated fare queries?
Yes, but they still have to pay for every request they send out to a GDS.
FYI to get an idea, Sabre asks 0.02$ / each fare quote request when going through the API and not doing it manually through their software.
Now you need to do a fare request for each city pair + date, thats gonna be a REALLY expensive service to offer. And even then, just because you know the basefares, doesnt mean you know good fares.
When US airways was around, they always had those 1$ basefares between Scandinavia and the U.S., but still heavy YQ.
Now with all the basic economy on TATL, you also have very low bf, even 1$ again.

So even if you have access to ATPCO data and setting up an alert, you'd get lots of 1$ basefare alerts that are still expensive including the YQ.
What one would be interested in were the total price incl taxes and fees. But for that you need a pricing engine (=GDS), and use something like Amadeus MasterPricer. But then its specific for a route+date again and youd need to do millions of requests before you find something nice.
1million*0.02$=20k$

Dont get me wrong, if you have a better idea, let me know, I'm all ears!
But I know people who actually have ATPCO access and it didnt help them anything in finding better fares, they can see ALL basefare information and get a push update every 5minutes from ATPCO, but it doesn't help them anything in finding error fares etc.

Everyone else I know who actually finds error fares has built their own scraping crawling OTAs.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It seems the only feasible way to find mistake fares by oneself is to scrape the OTAs. Someday when I have enough time, I might get to it. For now, I'll just have to watch the forums and other sites that post fare deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.