Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Print Wikipost

Flightplan: How to search a year of award inventory [no longer maintained]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, my mistake, I forgot the import... Just fixed again, can you try once more?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by jd20
Sorry, my mistake, I forgot the import... Just fixed again, can you try once more?
That fixed it!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
It seems to install okay but then I get the following error message when I try to use the application:

PS C:\Users\xxx> flightplan --version
internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:589
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\fli ghtplan-tool\bin\cli.js'
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:587:15)
at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:513:25)
at Function.Module.runMain (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:760:12)
at startup (internal/bootstrap/node.js:308:19)
at bootstrapNodeJSCore (internal/bootstrap/node.js:878:3)
Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Looks like maybe a path issue? Also, I see a space in the module path: "node_modules\fli ghtplan-tool\bin\cli.js". Is it actually have a space in it, or is that just a copy-paste glitch?

Can you verify if you installed using npm or yarn, globally or locally, and provide the output of running "where flightplan" from cmd.exe (or if using PowerShell, "where.exe flightplan").
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Yeah, that was just a copy paste issue.

Answer to Where

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\npm\flightplan
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\npm\flightplan.cmd
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Yarn\bin\flightplan
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Yarn\bin\flightplan.cmd
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

It looks like the top-level link to the command is installed (for both npm and yarn, I'm guessing you did a global install with both?)... Is there nothing in: "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules "?

I'd suggest removing and re-installing the flightplan-tool package again, also paste the command you used and output you got back, both when removing and adding back. There might be something in there that would help me track down the issue.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:45 pm

Very strange. Reinstalled and now working. Not sure what I did differently this time around.

Anyways, thank you for the quick replies.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Remove and reinstall always seems to work, for some reason
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:41 pm

Sorry one more question.

When I try to launch the server in the command line it responds

flightplan server 0.3.18
Opening database...
Running web server on port: 5000
Success!

Then the cursor just hangs there.

If I go to a browser to localhost:3000 I get nothing. If I go to localhost:5000 I get an error "Cannot GET /"
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

You have to run both the client (the website GUI) and the server (the back-end API, which actually serves the data). They're both mentioned at the bottom fo the README: https://github.com/flightplan-tool/flightplan

The cursor hanging there is normal, these are what serve the website and API, so you have to keep them running. You can open a cmd.exe window for each (client and server) and leave them in the background, or use a process manager like pm2 if you wanted to run them in the background (I wouldn't really recommend this unless you're familiar with what a process manager is though, for most casual users I'd just leave the cmd.exe windows in the background).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by jd20
You have to run both the client (the website GUI) and the server (the back-end API, which actually serves the data). They're both mentioned at the bottom fo the README: https://github.com/flightplan-tool/flightplan

The cursor hanging there is normal, these are what serve the website and API, so you have to keep them running. You can open a cmd.exe window for each (client and server) and leave them in the background, or use a process manager like pm2 if you wanted to run them in the background (I wouldn't really recommend this unless you're familiar with what a process manager is though, for most casual users I'd just leave the cmd.exe windows in the background).
Gracias.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Exclamation An Important Announcement

Hey Everyone, wanted to share an exciting new development regarding Flightplan. I've heard from so many of you, that you'd love to try out the tool, but don't feel comfortable with a command line or troubleshooting developer tools . Or that waiting hours (or days) for a full search to complete just takes too long. What if there was a version of Flightplan which didn't require you to install anything, and you could search awards for a full year in a matter of seconds?

Yup, so as another fun challenge to myself, I decided to try and build just that. You can try it out at https://www.flightplantool.com. The concept is simple: rather than each of us running flightplan tool individually, what if we could crowd source the entire effort among many users, and aggregate all that data into a single repository, with some serious server hardware to crunch all the data and serve it live. It will take a bit of time before the data will be "complete" enough to be useful, and there will be some effort to keep the data fresh moving forward, but I've taken an initial stab at it, and wanted to open the website up for beta testing to get feedback. So far, close to a million awards have been indexed, on over 10 thousand flights across 70 routes (this is coming from five different FFP covering *A, OW, and ST). And those numbers keep growing.

So, try it out, and let me know what you think I'll be continuing to make updates to the website this week, as time allows! And happy Thanksgiving week, to those in the states!
wotan2525, rtgta and daft009 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:15 am

Very cool!
How do we submit our own data?
I see that the counters are growing, is this based on searches that you've told the system to run?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yitzc
Very cool!
How do we submit our own data?
I see that the counters are growing, is this based on searches that you've told the system to run?
No need to submit your own data! There were several reasons that make it difficult to accept data ad hoc, vs managing a fleet of workers directly, where I can carefully control the version of software, how queries are executed, and ensure the integrity of the data. I don't think I'd be able to sign up nearly enough people to contribute the CPU / bandwidth needed, to collect at the rate necessary. So for now at least, I'm paying out of my pocket for the resources needed. It's a good learning experience too

The counters on the website are "estimates", based on the last known value and rate of change. Although new award data is being crawled continuously, it doesn't go live on the website until a new index is pushed (about 1x a day), because the new data has to go through a compression phase (otherwise the index would be way too large to load into memory). Each time a new index is built and deployed, the counters adjust themselves accordingly (so certain times of day you may see them jump forward, or even backwards).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:47 am

So basically you took a tool that was already incredibly useful and saved everyone a ton of time, then made it far more accessible and enabled exploring any award you can fancy instead of picking the ones you already had in mind.

So.... much... .awesomeness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.