Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Does this app allow a single-glance listing of all flights out of an airport at one time?

My need: I fly standby a lot. I'll be stuck in an airport (say AMS). Need to get back to the states. I need to see, without multiple searches, all options of flights out of AMS for the next couple hours. Basically a departures flight board. Nice to be able to sort or filter by airline. (say Delta).

So if my question is "I want to get home, what Delta flights are leaving AMS in the next few hours, and I don't want to make a dozen separate searches." will this app be a good solution?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Does this app allow a single-glance listing of all flights out of an airport at one time?

My need: I fly standby a lot. I'll be stuck in an airport (say AMS). Need to get back to the states. I need to see, without multiple searches, all options of flights out of AMS for the next couple hours. Basically a departures flight board. Nice to be able to sort or filter by airline. (say Delta).

So if my question is "I want to get home, what Delta flights are leaving AMS in the next few hours, and I don't want to make a dozen separate searches." will this app be a good solution?
I would like to know too. That would be an amazing feature to have.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:48 pm
Company Representative, Flighty App

Programs: flighty.com
Originally Posted by nancypants

i’ll email you my spreadsheet when I get off this plane 😉
Shoot it over please! [email protected]
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Downloaded the app and imported my Tripit data (which took an hour). Upon tapping into some flights to view the route the app shows nothing. For example, I tapped HKG-ORD and it just shows Africa.

I don't t really see the target audience. As someone on the road I mostly fly the same airline to take advantage of the loyalty program. This means all my flights are likely in a single airline app. If flighly tells me that they think my flight will be delayed but United isn't saying so then its a moot point (airlines can swap the frame and not delay the flight at all). On the other end of the spectrum I don't see casual flyers paying for this. It is a nice looking app though.

Nice to have features would be:
  • Bulk import of past trips for the stats
  • Viewing departure and arrival information for a specific airport
  • Looking up flights and available fare inventory
  • Flight specific information such as seat maps

Last edited by JHake10; Jul 28, 2019 at 9:05 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I got a question about the flight logging feature. So does it have all of the capability of myFlightRadar24? I really love the interface and the simplicity of entering and logging my previous flights. It would be great if Flighty offer something similar.
Completed flights are automatically archived and post to your Flight Log that is basically myFR24. So... no need to even do anything.

We all know that nothing last forever. So in the event that I no longer want to continue my subscription or if Flighty cease to exist anymore, is there an easy way to export data from Flighty?
Export is not yet built. We are a team of 3, bootstrapped for 1.5 years on ramen, we didn't want VC overlords or ulterior motives - so we had to ruthlessly prioritize. I can assure you, we would build export is Flighty ceased to exist (not looking likely). Follow me on Twitter and you'll know I wouldn't stand for that, and we are flight nerds too - we wouldn't want our data trapped so we don't want to trap yours.

Even with the discount pricing, this is after all, a subscription. $49.99/year is a lot of money for people that don't fly often (definition of often will vary). What does Flighty plan to offer to justify the subscription fee going forward?
First let me say why I believe our price is already a great value:

No one combines the amount of data we do, replaces as many apps as we do, has the features we do, has the notification speed we do, or is built to continue succeeding like we are. We use FlightStats, FlightAware, FAA, AviationEdge, Weather, hopefully more SWIM soon, and likely some Eurocontrol.

Right now you all likely use FlightAware for Tails, FR24 for tracking, FAA OIS for mandates, something crappy for push alert changes, and then FlightDiary/FlightMemory - we replace all those AND constantly PUSH the data so you don't have to anxiously refresh all day praying you won't miss something, AND build in a user-centric mindset. You honestly should try it. 14-Day Free Trial and/or Free Forever plan too. Pretty much no risk.

Sorry I get passionate... to answer your actual question our roadmap is SO chocked full of never-before properly executed ideas... trust me delivering new stuff isn't an issue. I came from Apple and already built another successful iOS app so I know how to prioritize and execute and constantly ship. The app has been out for 6 days and we've already updated in twice!

My issue with subscription pricing is that inevitably pricing will go up. I've seen reasons like inflation cited as a justification to raise the price.
Here's some raw honesty: I don't know. As I said a second ago, we pull in an insane amount of data. Remember though, we are flight nerds looking to make an app for us and you. Not looking to make VC's money or retire on an island. THIS IS retirement to me, this is what I like to do, I want to keep making it for years.

I kind of wished Flighty offered a 30 day trial like a lot of subscription services out there rather than 14 days.
30 days is extremely rare for apps (or point me to ones I'm missing please). I'm taking all kinds of feedback on our model right now though, so fully noted. Appreciated.

Can you comment further about the historical flight feature? Does Flighty have access to the same amount of data as Flightstats? Can Flighty look up flights taken in the late 1990s or early 2000s?
Yep, we use FlightStats (among many other). We can *not* look up before 2005 right now. Actually, y'all are the perfect source for that info - where can we get that? We DO pull in exact past tails

Does Flighty have any plans to make the data editable on the web? Any plans for a port to the Mac?
Works on iPad now. Plans for Mac, yes. Plans for web, no.

---

Honestly yall should just give it a try, 14-days free and/or free forever plan so there's no risk. TripIt sync is unlimited so you can fill it instantly. And I'd love your feedback, like this. https://apps.apple.com/app/id1358823008
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by flightyryan; Jul 28, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Annoying answer warning: Yes and No

Yes - search shows all flights, with status, and delay amount, on one screen, super clean. Codeshare filter coming soon.

No - we haven't added the "departures by airport" feature yet. It's coming though, as part of an Airport package.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
If flighly tells me that they think my flight will be delayed but United isn't saying so then its a moot point (airlines can swap the frame and not delay the flight at all).
We aren't guessing it will be delayed. We show you that the current frame is over the Atlantic and there's no friggin way it'll make it in time. You have ALL the intel you need to make smart decisions. Like ground stops etc, that they'd never mention. If they swap the frame, we send you a push and update to those inbound flights.

- ultra long haul maps are shown but not properly auto zoomed, stupid 2d projection bug
- TripIt sync is slow because of tripit, their max is 25 flights per request. we have no import limit
- do not plans to do fare inventory
- do plan to do seat maps, plus onboard equipment

I do appreciate the candid feedback. But I'm also surprised a road warrior wouldn't see the value of $49 saving their bacon multi times a year. But that's what feedback is for! We are learning.

Last edited by flightyryan; Jul 28, 2019 at 9:48 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan
- yes on ultra long haul there is currently a bug where the map can't figure out what to show, stupid 2d projections
- we will NEVER say it's delayed unless United says it's delayed. But we WILL show you that the current frame is over the Atlantic and there's no friggin way it'll make it for their posted departure time. You have ALL the intel you need to make smart decisions. Same with ground stops etc that they'd never mention.
- we sync unlimited flights from TripIt. TripIt max is 25 flights per request, so super frequent flyers like you, we max them out and go as fast as we can. Example below.
- we do not plans to do fare inventory
- we do plan to do seat maps, plus onboard equipment

https://twitter.com/FlightyApp/statu...847709185?s=20
Looking forward to the bug fixes and the airport package.
lsquare and flightyryan like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:48 pm

Any chance a (Today View) Widget is on the roadmap?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt
Any chance a (Today View) Widget is on the roadmap?
Certainly. Share your top priorities you'd like to see?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:03 pm

This is not a common issue, but I'll request it nonetheless: when I travel, I use the Google Voice app for making calls (over data). In the airline section, please consider showing the airline phone number in a way that can be copied to the clipboard (so it can be pasted into the GV app dialer), instead of just the button to dial.

Another request is to have more data and less map shown by default. Right now the initial display is about 50/50 of map to data. Consider changing that to maybe 25% top is map, and then 75% is the flight info, with the ability to show more map if desired. The map is pretty, but what I really need to see is flight info.

Originally Posted by flightyryan
Certainly. Share your top priorities you'd like to see?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I just installed the app and wow, what a stunner. The design is beautiful.

Is it just me or that I can't add my seats to my historical flights? Also, is there a way to show all of my historical flights on the map similar to what my.FlightRadar does?

I added my 4 upcoming flights to the app. I can't wait to test out this app with my upcoming flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
Any plans to integrate import from other services except Tripit? For instance, my.FlightRadar24.com does export in CSV, it would be nice to have a CSV import as well. Maybe you have it now, didn't see it in your notes - will try the pro version in a couple of days with 4 upcoming flights.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by BKft
Any plans to integrate import from other services except Tripit? For instance, my.FlightRadar24.com does export in CSV, it would be nice to have a CSV import as well. Maybe you have it now, didn't see it in your notes - will try the pro version in a couple of days with 4 upcoming flights.
CSV import would be great. Hopefully that is on the road map!
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I would like to know too. That would be an amazing feature to have.
Flighty sounds like it's got a lot of great features, but as an FYI for Isquare and for standby folks looking for what I mentioned: the free app "Flight Board" for iOS does that feature. Plug in the airport code or name, and it shows you all departures or arrivals to and from there, sorted chronologically. From there you can filter by city name, airline code, etc. You can also save a list of favorite airports, and just switch back and forth between them without having to do a new search.
was in Istanbul a couple weeks ago, looking for a way home, had planned on going through AMS, but it filled up. So instead I lit up that app, saw there was a flight I'd never heard of out of IST to CDG departing in a few hours. Checked the loads, jumped on, and poof - I was IST>CDG>SEA a short while later in first class.

Back to Flighty and its benefits though. Looks like a nice clean app, probably just not what I needed in this specific case.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.