Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

flight search engines that DON'T show me basic economy flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to book travel for two RDU to Chicago (ORD or MDW - doesn't matter) July 6th though 8th for a wedding and my usual search engines at all gummed up with basic economy fares. I'm getting too old and cranky to mess around with that nonsense, and I'll be 7 months pregnant and don't want to end up in a middle seat in the back of a plane.

What is the best search engine that allows me to block out all these new basic economy fares? Is there one? The first three solid pages of kayak are all basic economy flights and it's really annoying...

(Apologies if there's a thread about this that I've missed. Please feel free to direct me or move this thread. Thanks!)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
chill

Kayak will show you the airlines that fly the route; imo the easiest thing to do at that point is to go directly to the airline website (for ORD nonstops, American and United both display Basic Economy fares in a separate column in search results; Southwest to/from MDW doesn't offer that type of fare)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
chill

Kayak will show you the airlines that fly the route; imo the easiest thing to do at that point is to go directly to the airline website (for ORD nonstops, American and United both display Basic Economy fares in a separate column in search results; Southwest to/from MDW doesn't offer that type of fare)
I have an appropriate level of chill, but it's still annoying. I agree that it's easy enough for this trip because there's only three airlines I'm looking at. It's a lot more work for other itineraries when I'm not looking for nonstop flights and there's many more options.

So maybe there isn't an answer? There isn't a flight search that allows you to filter out basic economy? I'm not tied to any one airline, so I'm usually open to any carrier.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by buckybadger
So maybe there isn't an answer? There isn't a flight search that allows you to filter out basic economy? I'm not tied to any one airline, so I'm usually open to any carrier.
United's search engine has a selector to include or exclude basic economy fares. I imagine this feature will eventually percolate into the general-purpose engines but it wasn't in Google Flights the last time I looked.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
ok, now you’re changing the rules for replies
I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that most search engines aren’t designed for FT-savvy travelers, which means that my “down-arrow” key gets a lot of use
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Kayak displays a little red suitcase with a line through it for BE fares. Just ignore those and you will be fine.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Two I can think of.

On Kayak, once you have specified your search and gotten the results, on the left hand side there is a "Cabin" selection. If you click and open it, you can deselect "Basic Economy".

Hipmunk is similar, specify your search, once the results are presented, at the top there is a "Classes" drop down where you can deselect "Basic & No Frills Flights".

Wish they would let you specify no Basic Economy in the original search.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by buckybadger
I'm trying to book travel for two RDU to Chicago (ORD or MDW - doesn't matter) July 6th though 8th for a wedding and my usual search engines at all gummed up with basic economy fares. I'm getting too old and cranky to mess around with that nonsense,
Any reason you don't just uncheck "Basic Economy" in Kayak?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I never noticed the cabin selection on the left after you do the initial search. I select the cabin in the upper right and that only shows economy as an option.

That's super helpful!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:25 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Travel Tools forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: None anymore
Also for United at least if you click through from say, Google Flights to purchase the ticket, you can then select to avoid B.E. but just be aware that the final price will be $20 more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.