Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Flightsfrom.com - Which Airlines Fly to Which Destinations

Flightsfrom.com - Which Airlines Fly to Which Destinations

Old Jan 15, 18, 1:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: GOT
Posts: 28
Lightbulb Flightsfrom.com - Which Airlines Fly to Which Destinations

We (at our company CTI) realised how time consuming it is to figure out what airlines flies to what destinations and when from a certain airport so we made a website to make it simpler.

Please take a look at our first version at www.flightsfrom.com

You'll find:
- All routes from a single airport on a clickable map (example: flightsform.com/FRA)
- Schedules departures between two airports up to 9 months ahead (example: flightsform.com/FRA-HKG

And where do we get feedback if not Flyertalk.com? This first thing that would be interesting is whether the 8 airports listed on the home page is relevant for you? Those under "Airport close to you".

Ofcourse we appriciate all kinds of feedback. And hope you enjoy it!

// Jens and the team

I hope this is the right board for this post - if not I apologise and an admin should delete it.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 15, 18 at 1:32 pm Reason: Correct URL @ OP's request
jensju is offline  
Old Jan 15, 18, 6:27 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,655
Nice website!

Just wondering whether it would make sense to all add a table listing the destinations in addition to the map?

Also, when clicking on a route, maybe the airline could be displayed?

FWIW, I usually use Wikipedia for re-searching all routes from a given airport, so it would probably help if your website offered at least as much information.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 18, 10:25 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,488
I see green, blue and red markers for destination cities, but I can't find the map key anywhere? What do the different colors mean?
swag is offline  
Old Jan 15, 18, 11:50 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: GOT
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by swag View Post
I see green, blue and red markers for destination cities, but I can't find the map key anywhere? What do the different colors mean?
Each marker represents an airport. And the size and color is to illustrate the number of routes from that airport.

Red marker = 1-19 routes
Blue marker = 20-99 routes
Green marker = 100 or more routes

Last edited by jensju; Jan 16, 18 at 1:18 am
jensju is offline  
Old Jan 15, 18, 11:59 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: GOT
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Nice website!

Just wondering whether it would make sense to all add a table listing the destinations in addition to the map?

Also, when clicking on a route, maybe the airline could be displayed?

FWIW, I usually use Wikipedia for re-searching all routes from a given airport, so it would probably help if your website offered at least as much information.
Yeah a table listing has been discussed as well.

When you click on a route an icon for that airline(s) are to be displayed. We are still adding icons.

What routes are you missing from Wikipedia? I should point out that we do not show chartered flights(or cargo). Only non chartered passenger flights.

Thanks for your comments!

jensju is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 12:24 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 191
On my homepage it showed my closest airport; PDX. After that though, it showed ATL, ORD, DFW, LAX, and JFK before showing my next actual closest major airport; SEA. Additionally the title of that feature reads "Airport close to you" but then lists 8 airports. It doesn't seem like the title should be singular.

On the map page, I would find it valuable to have the state outlines so I could quickly identify specific airports. That wasn't showing at first glance in my iPad.

Very cool site!
Whowouldanewman is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 1:09 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: GOT
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman View Post
On my homepage it showed my closest airport; PDX. After that though, it showed ATL, ORD, DFW, LAX, and JFK before showing my next actual closest major airport; SEA. Additionally the title of that feature reads "Airport close to you" but then lists 8 airports. It doesn't seem like the title should be singular.

On the map page, I would find it valuable to have the state outlines so I could quickly identify specific airports. That wasn't showing at first glance in my iPad.

Very cool site!
You are correct. The title was misleading all together since it was not always the closest airports but a selected number of airports we've tried to make relevant(where distance is one of the keys ofcourse). Now it's chagned.

I'll see if we can add the state outlines.

Thanks!
jensju is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 2:29 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: HKG
Posts: 1,052
Was very excited when I first came across https://openflights.org/ a couple of years ago, which promised the exact same thing. Turns out it was missing a bunch of routes and was thus useless to me (as the reason I would use such a tool is to find the routes I don't already know exist )

So here's hoping you website will be more useful. Will def try it out soon!

Of the airports relevant to me only one is correct - the city I am currently located. All the others appear to be random as I have no relation to either of them.
gpia is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 9:25 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Plat
Posts: 397
Nice site!

My 8 airports start with the 2 closest 2 me, ORD and MDW, but MKE is nowhere to be found. Not sure what your other keys are, but distance should be number 1.

Also, found an error. Was playing on the map and selected ORD-UVF (St. Lucia), then selected "Schedules and More Details"

The next screen came up fine (cute animation of the plane flying the route..), but when I selected "Reverse Route" it throws an error screen.

Captured error data attached.

I tried the reverse route on a could other random routes and it worked fine.

Last edited by mmayer; Jan 16, 18 at 4:19 pm
mmayer is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 11:07 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: GOT
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by gpia View Post
So here's hoping you website will be more useful. Will def try it out soon!
Our dataset is updated continuously so hopefully you'll find it useful! The coverage should be close to 100% with some exceptions from airlines in third world countries and low cost carriers.


Originally Posted by mmayer View Post
Nice site!

My 8 airports start with the 2 closest 2 me, ORD and MDW, but MKE is nowhere to be found. Not sure what your other keys are, but distance should be number 1.

Also, found an error. Was playing on the map and selected ORD-UVF (St. Lucia), then selected "Schedules and More Details"

The next screen came up fine (cute animation of the plane flying the route..), but when I selected "Reverse Route" it throws an error screen.
Thanks for the input!
jensju is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 11:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
The overlay doesn't work. When choosing GJT I cannot see Denver, because it is covered by the description of Grand Junction. But if I "x" out Grand Junction then I no longer have any routes at all.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 11:21 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
Also, where do you grab your information from? For example, for ROR, there is listed MFM. That is true as there are charter flights, which don't always run, but in general it isn't useful to list charter flights as most of us cannot book those.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 12:46 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 144
Congrats on your launch. Nice site!

Immediate observations (in no particular order):
1a) Aviation geek: Such a cool way to see how connected the world has become. So many long, thin routes thanks to "new aircraft" like the 777 / 787 / A350 (and redeployment of 757 / A321)
1b) Aviation geek: As you capture historical information, will be cool to see how these travel patterns evolve.
2) Business travel: Very cool visualization of all nonstops between 2 city pairs in a given week. I will share this with my admin so she can book optimal flight times for my business trips. I can see more 2 one-ways in my future! To make this even more powerful, would be great if you could add "sort by time" in addition to group by airline.
3) Personal travel: Interesting to see the average flight distances. Never really thought that the flying time between JFK-AUA and JFK-AUS are essentially the same!
4) Would be nice to add a calendar icon so you can go directly to the week you want (rather than having to page over a bunch of times)
billygoat27 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 18, 4:46 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Locked down in the UK
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Posts: 5,335
This looks interesting, I will look forward to playing with the map.

Thanks.
antichef is offline  
Old Jan 17, 18, 12:55 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: GOT
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
The overlay doesn't work. When choosing GJT I cannot see Denver, because it is covered by the description of Grand Junction. But if I "x" out Grand Junction then I no longer have any routes at all.
You might need to zoom in / zoom out if the title is in the way.

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Also, where do you grab your information from? For example, for ROR, there is listed MFM. That is true as there are charter flights, which don't always run, but in general it isn't useful to list charter flights as most of us cannot book those.
We have actively chosen only to show schedules passenger flights and not charter flights. The ROR-MFM is not published as a charter flight however I can't see to find anywhere to book it.

Originally Posted by billygoat27 View Post
Congrats on your launch. Nice site!

Immediate observations (in no particular order):
1a) Aviation geek: Such a cool way to see how connected the world has become. So many long, thin routes thanks to "new aircraft" like the 777 / 787 / A350 (and redeployment of 757 / A321)
1b) Aviation geek: As you capture historical information, will be cool to see how these travel patterns evolve.
2) Business travel: Very cool visualization of all nonstops between 2 city pairs in a given week. I will share this with my admin so she can book optimal flight times for my business trips. I can see more 2 one-ways in my future! To make this even more powerful, would be great if you could add "sort by time" in addition to group by airline.
3) Personal travel: Interesting to see the average flight distances. Never really thought that the flying time between JFK-AUA and JFK-AUS are essentially the same!
4) Would be nice to add a calendar icon so you can go directly to the week you want (rather than having to page over a bunch of times)
Thank you.

2) & 4) Those would be nice features. There is a lot of paging right now I agree.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 17, 18 at 10:18 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
jensju is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: