Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

TripCase Text Message Offering Flight Alerts

Old Oct 4, 17, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat

Never really heard of tripcase, but I got a TEXT message asking if I wanted "flight alerts"
How did they get my phone number?
How do they even know I fly?
I had to look them up to even know what it is (I guess it's a bit like tripit - which I do use)
Scary!
Old Oct 4, 17, 12:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Did you use a travel agent? Maybe the booking was made in Sabre?
Old Oct 4, 17, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
Did you use a travel agent? Maybe the booking was made in Sabre?
No, no travel agent except citi prestige concierge for hotel - no flights booked with them and the text specified flight alerts.

How would tripcase even get my data from Sabre (or others) without my knowledge or consent - no privacy for (my name) and phone number - or could it be some kind of text spam since it was sent to my phone number but without my name?
Old Oct 4, 17, 6:21 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
TripCase is a Sabre program. My TA sends me links for hotel reservations that automatically get posted to my TripCase account.

I suspect this is an internet cookie thing. Perhaps the hotel uses Sabre and that is where your cell number was harvested.

I wouldn't sweat this, unless you are really worried about privacy. If you are worried about privacy, learn to not worry, because there isn't any.
Old Oct 4, 17, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
TripCase is a Sabre program.

I wouldn't sweat this, unless you are really worried about privacy. If you are worried about privacy, learn to not worry, because there isn't any.
Yes I am and yes maybe there isn't any BUT I booked with citi for a year before and the same with my other bookings (all booked the same way for years) and this is new. OTOH I tried to call the number the text allegedly came from - and just cut off instantly. Spam? (which I hadn't really experienced with texts before - is this a new thing?) Oh and I called from skype so it didn't show my real number
Old Oct 6, 17, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA Plat / DL & HH Diamond
There is a legacy "Tripcase" thread in the Travel Tools forum. We'll move it over there for the board moderator to merge.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: