Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Unhappy with TripCase [privacy concerns]

Unhappy with TripCase [privacy concerns]

Old May 1, 17, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Unhappy with TripCase [privacy concerns]

I've bought a few tickets with Cambodia Angkor Air recently, and have started getting emails from TripCase about these flights. The emails come from TripCase, not the airline, and tell me when the flight leaves and asks me to sign up for a TripCase account.

The TripCase email call me by my first and middle name. My middle name is not on the internet and I don't use it for anything but flights, so it is sort of startling to see it on an email. This may sound crazy, but having my middle name on an unwanted email feels invasive, somehow.

I understand that CAA works with TripCase. However, I've already gotten an email directly from CAA about when my flight departs (several, actually), so why am I getting another from TripCase asking me to create an account with them? I never asked to be on their mailing list and it feels really spammy.

I know the solution is to unsubscribe (from these emails I didn't sign up for in the first place) but am I the only one bothered by this?
Old May 1, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
I've bought a few tickets with Cambodia Angkor Air recently, and have started getting emails from TripCase about these flights. The emails come from TripCase, not the airline, and tell me when the flight leaves and asks me to sign up for a TripCase account.

The TripCase email call me by my first and middle name. My middle name is not on the internet and I don't use it for anything but flights, so it is sort of startling to see it on an email. This may sound crazy, but having my middle name on an unwanted email feels invasive, somehow.

I understand that CAA works with TripCase. However, I've already gotten an email directly from CAA about when my flight departs (several, actually), so why am I getting another from TripCase asking me to create an account with them? I never asked to be on their mailing list and it feels really spammy.

I know the solution is to unsubscribe (from these emails I didn't sign up for in the first place) but am I the only one bothered by this?
Hmmm. I use TripCase, but only because my TA uses it. I'd give it a rating of 5-6 on a scale of 10. It is good enough to keep and doesn't suck enough to bother finding an alternative. Somehow, you ended up on the SPAM list for TripCase, probably from the airline or your TA. If you don't have an account, I'd just tag anything from TripCase as SPAM and be done with it.

You didn't ask for a lecture on 'privacy on the Internet' so I won't give you one. But you don't have any so just get used to it.
Old May 1, 17, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
Hmmm. I use TripCase, but only because my TA uses it. I'd give it a rating of 5-6 on a scale of 10. It is good enough to keep and doesn't suck enough to bother finding an alternative. Somehow, you ended up on the SPAM list for TripCase, probably from the airline or your TA. If you don't have an account, I'd just tag anything from TripCase as SPAM and be done with it.

You didn't ask for a lecture on 'privacy on the Internet' so I won't give you one. But you don't have any so just get used to it.
The airline uses TripCase to manage their bookings (or whatever it is they do) and TripCase then scrapes the data they get from the airline and adds it to their spam list.

I understand that there's no privacy on the internet, but companies who take advantage of that fact are scummy. IMO.
Old May 1, 17, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by giblet View Post
if CAA didn't disclose (or disclose enough info) about their connection/data-sharing with trip case, then your beef should be with CAA

If CAA did disclose it under their verbose TOS, then it's your fault for not reading it (and also every company's fault for having a long verbose TOS that no one reads)

If tripcase continues to spam you after you unsubscribe, then talk to their regulator (they're owned by sabre , located in usa, so the Canspam act should apply... Not all emails from them would qualify as spam though, eg if airline uses them to send actual useful transactional stuff like flight confirmation emails)

Regardless, it's a free market. Now that you know CAA gives info to tripcase:

1) stop using CAA (too bad if there are no alternative flights)
2) complain to CAA. Enough people complain, they'll stop using tripcase

Good luck with (2)... Sabre owns a lot of other companies too
Old May 1, 17, 7:06 pm

Since this is a Travel App, I'll move the thread over to 'Travel Tools'
Old May 1, 17, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Regardless, it's a free market. Now that you know CAA gives info to tripcase:

1) stop using CAA (too bad if there are no alternative flights)
2) complain to CAA. Enough people complain, they'll stop using tripcase
I'm assuming you haven't flown with CAA.

And yes, it's a free market, but an American company taking advantage of poor data protection rules in developing countries is not something that engenders a lot of confidence for me.
Old May 2, 17, 7:06 pm

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/05/...pitality-unit/

weeeeeeee (though it's Sabre's hotel system, not airline)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: