Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Generating lists of international flights by airlines and/or from particular cities

Generating lists of international flights by airlines and/or from particular cities

Old Feb 2, 17, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

Hi all,

Trying to generate list of flights to watch/prep that is currently being done in a very manual way that is both time consuming and hard to ensure accuracy. Here's the focus:

1. Finding flights on a given day landing at a particular airport:
- coming from particular cities
- on particular airlines
2. Seeing all the codeshares for the flight
3. Seeing their current or estimated arrival times

I'm only starting to search for the best way to do this, but thought the wider community might be able to more quickly suggest the easiest way. In the mean time, I'll probably use FlightStats, FlightAware or the like to filter by arrival/destination pairs and airline/destination pairs and bookmark those links, using them to generate the daily list. Then will add flights each day to upgraded FlightAware account and monitor arrival times from the profile page.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Edit: I'm also seeing that after using filters on FlightAware (e.g. http://flightaware.com/live/findflig...stination=KSFO) or arrival/destination pair on FlightStats (http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...usByAirport.do), I don't get a unique URL that I can bookmark and quickly go back to. Tips on this also helpful.

Last edited by uhezay; Feb 2, 17 at 4:42 pm Reason: Adding codeshare need.
Old Feb 2, 17, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
San Francisco International Airport FlySFO website has a Flight Status page with filters for arrivals/departures, airlines and locations.
Old Feb 2, 17, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
San Francisco International Airport FlySFO website has a Flight Status page with filters for arrivals/departures, airlines and locations.
Thanks for the response. Already using that page, but I'm looking to find a consolidated view if possible, one link ideal or two: one with flights from certain cities to SFO and one with flights on certain airlines to SFO.

Last edited by uhezay; Feb 2, 17 at 4:33 pm
Old Feb 2, 17, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EB Silver
I'm not aware of a finished product that can do this, but it sounds like something that could easily be done with a script that pulls the data from an API (Application Programming Interface, a web service that provides structured, machine-readable data) and generates a report that can be printed/sent by email/distributed by some other means. FlightAware has an API that should do the trick. It's not free but shouldn't cost more than a few cents per day for what you're trying to do.

Ask around and I'm sure you'll find a programmer who's willing to donate a couple of hours to the cause.
Old Feb 2, 17, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waffle View Post
I'm not aware of a finished product that can do this, but it sounds like something that could easily be done with a script that pulls the data from an API (Application Programming Interface, a web service that provides structured, machine-readable data) and generates a report that can be printed/sent by email/distributed by some other means. FlightAware has an API that should do the trick. It's not free but shouldn't cost more than a few cents per day for what you're trying to do.

Ask around and I'm sure you'll find a programmer who's willing to donate a couple of hours to the cause.
That might be the long term solution I end up building myself, but was looking for a short term stopgap. However, if someone wants to whip this up tonight, please message me!

Last edited by uhezay; Feb 2, 17 at 4:42 pm
Old Feb 3, 17, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by uhezay View Post
Edit: I'm also seeing that after using filters on FlightAware (e.g. http://flightaware.com/live/findflig...stination=KSFO) or arrival/destination pair on FlightStats (http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...usByAirport.do), I don't get a unique URL that I can bookmark and quickly go back to. Tips on this also helpful.
The reason is because people in the past have automated such tasks, and even incorporated them in their own services charging others for it! At least flightstats have been used/abused in that way.

Flightstats has the data and offers a lot of different interfaces. You might want to take a look at their "Airport status Arrivals" which "Returns the status of all flights arriving (or having arrived) at an airport within the specified hour, or within a window up to 6 hours wide if numHours is specified."
Take a look at https://developer.flightstats.com/ap...tus/v2/airport

You need to register as a developer with them and pay for the service.
Old Feb 3, 17, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EB Silver
As far as a data source, the departures/arrivals board on the SFO website gets its data in JSON format from here:
Code:
https://www.flysfo.com/flightprocessing/fullFlightData.txt
It wouldn't be too hard to whip up an interface around that, or even just a script that runs daily, filters the flights by whatever criteria you need, pours them into a nice template and emails them to you. I might actually do that over the weekend but can't guarantee anything.

Not being a lawyer myself, I have no idea whether or not this would violate any terms of service and what the ramifications would be.

Search this Thread