FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   WorldMate is Being Discontinued (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1813881-worldmate-being-discontinued.html)

dubkay Sep 30, 2017 11:19 am

Originally Posted by feival (Post 27731057)
OK, this isn't ideal but it is possible to get the data out. Best way is to share the old trips with yourself from Worldmate to your email address. Once you receive them, forward to Tripcase. So far this is pretty accurate and does allow you to make edits when required. Not ideal but better than nothing. Will give you something to do in some downtime. So far the main issue seems to be that the city on occasion is mapped incorrectly and Tripcase doesn't know how to handle the former BMI flight codes.

FWIW: I procrastinated until the very last day (purported) before attempting to rescue my data and this email share option still works.

But it seemed like that method only captured flight info and nothing more. In my case, I was more interested in preserving data about rental accommodations, ground transport, etc, since flight itineraries are easy to salvage from old emails. After considering a few alternatives (screenshots, cut/paste into spreadsheet), it occurred to me that I could just save each trip as an html file directly from browser to desktop on my computer. 30 minutes later, I have a folder with all data from all past WorldMate trips -- plus the WorldMate UI is preserved, and the data is in a format that's easy to cut/paste if needed in the future.

Now that still doesn't answer the question of what to start using as an alternative to WM. But I don't think I care about having my old trips imported into a new app -- I just wanted to preserve the data.

fledglingraptormoon Jan 9, 2018 8:28 pm

Has anyone found a good replacement for this? I tried tripcase but it doesn't parse Expedia emails well :(

strickerj Jan 10, 2018 7:11 am

Originally Posted by fledglingraptormoon (Post 29272680)
Has anyone found a good replacement for this? I tried tripcase but it doesn't parse Expedia emails well :(

I’ve been satisfied with Kayak for managing trips, though it doesn’t have a lot of the features that the Worldmate Mobile app did. (I miss having a unified flight schedule search.) No issues with parsing emails from Delta, Hertz, Hilton, and Hotels.com (and possibly others I’m forgetting), though I haven’t tried it with Expedia.

subraapd Jan 11, 2018 3:33 am

I feel sorry for my friend!

I feel sorry for my friend who wish to hold the Gold Membership!

Will pass the message!

Thanks for sharing!

fledglingraptormoon Jan 30, 2018 8:29 am

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 29274129)

I’ve been satisfied with Kayak for managing trips, though it doesn’t have a lot of the features that the Worldmate Mobile app did. (I miss having a unified flight schedule search.) No issues with parsing emails from Delta, Hertz, Hilton, and Hotels.com (and possibly others I’m forgetting), though I haven’t tried it with Expedia.

thanks, as far as flights are concerned it seems to import quite well from my inbox. Still waiting for it to parse an Expedia email I forwarded.
Any idea how to import old trips?
The app is also quite a bit faster than trip case.

strickerj Jan 31, 2018 10:33 am

Originally Posted by fledglingraptormoon (Post 29357568)
thanks, as far as flights are concerned it seems to import quite well from my inbox. Still waiting for it to parse an Expedia email I forwarded.
Any idea how to import old trips?
The app is also quite a bit faster than trip case.

Not sure about importing old trips, sorry - I just started over rather than trying to transfer over my Worldmate trips.

GOODFELA Jul 22, 2019 7:55 pm

I'm still able to use it on one of my iphone that was logged in to my account from the beginning. My two other iphones have the app... but I can't log in.

strickerj Jul 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Wow, this has been a while... as an update, I’ve switched from Kayak to Google Trips, since most of my issues with the latter seem to have been resolved, and most of my trip confirmations go to my Gmail account so they show up on Trips automatically.

I do still miss Worldmate’s airline schedule search though; I haven’t found similar functionality elsewhere.

strickerj Jul 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by GOODFELA (Post 31331753)
I'm still able to use it on one of my iphone that was logged in to my account from the beginning. My two other iphones have the app... but I can't log in.

So, the iPhone that can still access it has been logged in continuously since before the service shut down? I’m assuming it isn’t actually connected to any external service but just using data saved locally. If you ever delete the app, I’m guessing that data will be lost.