Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

WorldMate is Being Discontinued

WorldMate is Being Discontinued

Old Mar 13, 17, 11:25 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
So here is a question that I hope someone can answer. On on of my legacy cellphones that I use on the weekends and vacation (Vertu Constellation C) there is the world mate App that is preinstalled.

The app only has a world clock, flight info checker/status updates, money conversion and time.

It syncs somewhere to update the conversion rates as well as to get flight status updates.

WILL this app still work? It's pretty basic but handy for me. Wondering if it can still download the info it needs to work.

Anyone know?
Old Mar 14, 17, 7:09 pm

Best guess, based on this https://worldmate.zendesk.com/hc/en-...er-March-31st- is that after September at the latest, any feature that requires backend services will cease to work.

Originally Posted by FastSRT8 View Post
So here is a question that I hope someone can answer. On on of my legacy cellphones that I use on the weekends and vacation (Vertu Constellation C) there is the world mate App that is preinstalled.

The app only has a world clock, flight info checker/status updates, money conversion and time.

It syncs somewhere to update the conversion rates as well as to get flight status updates.

WILL this app still work? It's pretty basic but handy for me. Wondering if it can still download the info it needs to work.

Anyone know?
Old Mar 14, 17, 9:41 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by PackingIt View Post
Best guess, based on this https://worldmate.zendesk.com/hc/en-...er-March-31st- is that after September at the latest, any feature that requires backend services will cease to work.
Thanks.... and drats
Old Mar 22, 17, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Have been on WorldMate for several years now (since Palm Treo days as well). Sad to see it go. Will be trying TripCase.
Old Mar 23, 17, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by nsx1164 View Post
Have been on WorldMate for several years now (since Palm Treo days as well). Sad to see it go. Will be trying TripCase.
I'm using wipolo. It's quite similar to WM and have the features to import the boarding pass.
Old Aug 4, 17, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm now having to start doing bookings for post September and I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and find a replacement for worldmate.

Just wondering if after extended use now people have favourites.

Worldmate was perfect for me as I tour manage for a comedian so I liked it for me being able to put in trains, flights car-hire, hotels etc. But main use is when I do annual big holiday of about 35 days where I'm moving about every 2-3 days - and the ability to have all those details in one place and more importantly share that with people (would love that to update for them in real time as I update it unlike wm)

The details and information in one place and then the ability to share it is the most important aspect for me - anything like alerting about flight delays or being able to check-in via app is fine but to be honest a bit gimmicky and rarely used it on wm (have the airlines apps and myflights for that)

Any recommendations or advice gratefully received!
Old Aug 4, 17, 7:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sistergeorge View Post
Any recommendations or advice gratefully received!
I've been getting along OK with tripit (free). At some point will buy the pro option but as its a bit more expensive than Worldmate was holding off until I find the killer need for it. (the refund monitoring, seems interesting).

The one thing that I miss the most of WM the Currency Converter. I have kept WM on just for this features. I hate to have a separate APP just Currency, but that is effectively what I have now since I'm only using WM for this. So at some point I will find an alternative (XE?) and finally delete WM.

Have also been using Tripcase (Sabre), CheckMyTrip (Amadeus). Each have the ability to import tickets booked by airlines that use those backend reservations systems, but find Tripit better as an all in one.
Old Aug 4, 17, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for feedback - found this blog that basically seemed to come down to recommending either Kayak or Tripit and seemed to slightly favour Kayak - https://thewanderingengineer.com/201...ayak-my-trips/

So downloaded both and sent through first email which was basic confirmation from BA LCY to PMI (Palma) out Monday back on Friday and Kayak created me a trip to Santa Cruz de la Palma..... Tripit had no problems and created trip to right airport and seems to have more detailed information.

Then sent through a trip for next year from LHR to MAA returning a month later from HKG to LHR which was a pdf confirmation from Avios. I thought as it was a pdf confirmation it might be more difficult but both seemed to cope without any trouble - will try adding a few more things to both trips and see which copes better before dropping but so far Tripit is definitely in the lead...
Old Aug 9, 17, 7:05 pm

Also a long time Worldmate user, and after researching a bunch of apps, settled on TripIt. It's working well so far, and am also trying to see how long I can go with the free version. The app could sure do with a facelift though...
Old Aug 12, 17, 7:56 am

I switched to TripIt about a year ago, and it does what I need it to do. I pay for pro, as the cost is worth it for me. The iPhone app is well done, though the iPad app is far less elegant. The website appears to be a mix of new and old. I do wish Concur would throw a little money to the TripIt team to get the iPad app and website a little more polished.
Old Aug 12, 17, 10:29 am

Google Trips is great way to organize trips (reads emails) .. the best part is it has sections Things To Doo, Food etc that integrates directly with google search and google reviews . And a built in trip planner and way to download offline
Old Aug 12, 17, 11:36 pm

At least on iOS, Google trips provides no way to edit or correct information in reservations that it auto imported from email. That's a complete deal breaker for me.

Originally Posted by maxim730 View Post
Google Trips is great way to organize trips (reads emails) .. the best part is it has sections Things To Doo, Food etc that integrates directly with google search and google reviews . And a built in trip planner and way to download offline
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 13, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by PackingIt View Post
At least on iOS, Google trips provides no way to edit or correct information in reservations that it auto imported from email. That's a complete deal breaker for me.
Yeah that turned me off Google Trips too. I ended up with Kayak and am generally happy with it, though I miss the schedule search that Worldmate had.

As with most Google services, Trips is about 98% there, but the things they miss are glaring and debilitating. (For years they refused to allow you to remove third party Google maps that you've viewed from your My Maps list, despite thousands of requests from users about that.)
Old Aug 18, 17, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
I am trying tripit but I'm finding it not very good.

Manual entry is clunky. Example; you need to enter both airline long name and flightnumber (which has IATA airline code embedded, so airline name could be autofetched).
Data entry is built around an autofetch from airline schedule based on departure date and flightnumber. But it does not work always, and then there is very little help for data entry. One example is that you need to enter arrival date (instead of system defaulting to same date as departure if left blank)

Manual data entry has a major bug. If you enter a trip with more than two segments, tripit randomly looses data. (segment 2 and 3 might loose destination, flightnumber, arrivaltime or some other field). You enter everything and save, but not all fields are committed to the database.

The "layover-function" is great, and shows automatically time between flights if it detects there is a connection. But it seems a layover over midnight is not considered a connecting flight. Also, it only works between flights.

Finally, the major disadvantage (which it shares with worldmate) is that it can't detect changes in a reservation.

So I am still looking for something like MyFlights but with functionality that allows for all kind of trip-reservations to be added on the timeline.
Old Sep 23, 17, 8:05 am

I used Google Trips for a Europe trip few weeks and it worked out great!

Before I left US

- created my own day plan (walking paths from sights to sights)
- Starred restaurants and places to see
- Downloaded maps for each city via Trips

Abroad:

- Loaded up Trips and followed the map (Airplane mode, GPS works) from place to place
- Able to read reviews, see pictures, etc. since maps was available offline

Search this Thread
Search Engine: