Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

WorldMate is Being Discontinued

WorldMate is Being Discontinued

Old Jan 17, 17, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum
So far Tripcase has performed well for me. But, when I sent a return flight and a separate hotel for the same date period and same city it inserted two trips. Sure it is simple to merge into one trip.

When I sent a separate outbound and inbound flight with a separate hotel I had three trips to merge! WM was so good at all that stuff!
Old Jan 17, 17, 11:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dgtsf View Post
There's also a new entrant in the space called Pana. I'm not enthused from first attempts to use it.
Posts discussing the Pana Free Travel App belong in the following thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
Old Jan 19, 17, 6:01 am

I've been using WorldMate since 2008 and it was absolutely perfect for me - it was always accurate and prompt regarding flight delays (it even showed my canceled flight even 1hr before Austrian Airlines knew and could confirm it to me over the phone) AND it did a wonderful job regarding the email forwarding import function. I never could even imagine that there can be problems afterall with this... it could even handle my multi-flight and multi-reservation code bookings into one single trip without any problem (I didn't realize this could be a big deal ever since I started to look for alternatives!!!!).

All of the alternatives that I tried are poor...
-TripCase - too bulky for me, could not process all the STANDARD e-tickets from Amadeus and also many other known formats
-Kayak - lacks a lot of functions (airplane type etc); it messes up some airports in my reservations BUT it's a pretty app
-Tripit - does not import all my e-tickets correctly; is only able to have a reservation code for the whole trip; does not display all layovers (their customer support replied that a layover more than 4hrs is not considered a layover, that's why it's not displayed when I see my timeline (WorldMate had no problem in displaying these, even if it was a 24h+ layover)

Despite all the drawbacks I'm giving TripitPRO a try - it appears to be the only decent solution for now. Tripit is until now the best (or better said, the least worse) out of everything I have tried till now.

What other apps can be considered as real alternatives?

...and regarding exporting your history out of WorldMate - just email them and they'll send you a csv file with it
Old Jan 19, 17, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
AppIntheAir seems decent. For me the important feature is sending to calendar on iPhone (as in copying into my main calendar). Tripit's ICS output is good but uses a separate calendar feed so harder to share w/ colleagues.
Old Jan 20, 17, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by N45H View Post
It does not, at least not as I am used to it from Worldmate...
After updating a couple of days ago the iPhone app for Tripit, now it can also do this, very similar to WorldMate. There's a notification in your upper side of the screen in case you don't have any acommodation for that trip...
Old Jan 21, 17, 5:55 am
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
Originally Posted by gutzanu View Post
...and regarding exporting your history out of WorldMate - just email them and they'll send you a csv file with it
Unfortunately the CSV only contains the trip title and dates, not the individual travel items in the trip.
Old Feb 1, 17, 6:59 am

Calendar synchronisation (with Outlook and iPhone) is key for me and something WorldMate did well - is there a list of which of alternatives handle this aspect well?
Old Feb 3, 17, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
I've been Worldmate gold for many years. It was my favourite, but there was also a lot of issues. The flight delay notifications was always unreliable for me and on every launch of the app it "reminded" me to add calendar sync (despite it was already activated) and it was impossible to get rid of the pop-up.
The development was slow and they never made any effort to internationalize the web. The app finally could display 24h format and international dates but it took forever to realise that development.

Killing off the app without telling was bad and doesn't build any trust for CWT. Perhaps forgotten by many, the developers were pretty heavy handed in the past too. I remember one forced upgrade that actually was a migration to a completely new app. It cut me off from my paid gold and the support didn't care one bit.
So while I am sad I will have to find a replacement, it was not all roses.

For me the best features were
  • Build a trip from dates
    Worldmate allowed you to create an empty trip and set start/end date and was then reasonably precise importing flights and hotels into the correct trip based on date. The import could however not split a reservation into different trips, but at least there was a handy tool for moving a flight to a different trip
  • Import from mail worked for a high percentage of confirmations
    Of the tools I used, Worldmate had best hitratio reading different suppliers confirmation mails.
  • Import pulled a lot of data into correct fields
    A successful import populated a lot of data fields. Some other tools fake data they are unable to read, like tripcase giving US phone numbers to airlines despite contact info is easily readable in the confirmation mail
  • Highlighting of issues between flights
    Worldmate had a great list view that highlights terminal changes, layover times and missing accommodations.
Old Feb 5, 17, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by N45H View Post
I used Worldmate and Tripit parallel for many years. But stopped using worldmate last year and switched completely to Tripit.

Tripit is in my opinion better to manage all my trips. I can even edit everything on the app, where worldmate had issues. I dont know if they ever caught up to that.

I only used the booking options through worldmate on 2 occasions, so i am not really missing them.

Also tripit is better integrated into other sites.
Does anyone know how to "import" completed WM trip info into TripIt? Thanks.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 5, 17 at 8:52 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 2, 17, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
In The New York Times:
Searching for a New Travel Companion

Q. I have been tied to WorldMate, an iPhone app that tracks and centralizes travel reservations, for years. It’s great and I love it, but the app is being discontinued and I need a replacement. Any ideas?

A. <snip>

TripIt has many of the same basic features as WorldMate and has mobile apps for Android, BlackBerry, iOS and Windows Phone (along with many positive reviews). The free version syncs and shares your travel information in one centralized place, but the TripIt Pro edition ($49 a year) adds real-time flight alerts, seat-upgrade notifications and other perks.

TripCase is another well-reviewed free itinerary manager with similar tools for Android and iOS devices; it also has integration with the Alexa assistant on the Amazon Echo line of speakers. And for those immersed in the Google ecosystem, the free Google Trips travel planner for Android and iOS automatically creates itineraries by pulling in confirmations sent to Gmail accounts.
Old Mar 2, 17, 3:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
In The New York Times:
I found that Tripcase fails horribly if you have limited or throttled connectivity while roaming.. That is a huge fail IMO. Any travel app should function offline without any issues and sync when you get data.
Old Mar 3, 17, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by redrock View Post
I found that Tripcase fails horribly if you have limited or throttled connectivity while roaming.. That is a huge fail IMO. Any travel app should function offline without any issues and sync when you get data.
This.

Can't be stressed enough, but still surprisingly many depend on what ever live sync feature the phone OS offers. Hotels.com comes to mind (probably fixed by now though) as one of my major disappointments. Once offline / flightmode app went into eternal loops trying to connect to server, crashing or just displaying blank details pages of previously synced bookings.

First order of business for anyone building a travel app is to design its off-line properties. If you can't offer full data display while offline, you are not a travel app.

* In all fairness, I am watching latest version of tripcase right now on my phone in flightmode and besides a few annoying modal dialogue boxes "this action requires network connection", is does display the itinerary

Last edited by intuition; Mar 3, 17 at 12:49 am
Old Mar 3, 17, 12:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
This.
* In all fairness, I am watching latest version of tripcase right now on my phone in flightmode and besides a few annoying modal dialogue boxes "this action requires network connection", is does display the itinerary
I tried Airplane mode today and all the tiles images fail to load for cities and also in the Trip Starts in x Days panel, all the image boxes are blank.
So seems like they are not caching the images (which seems pretty sensible thing to do).
Old Mar 11, 17, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by aulay View Post
Calendar synchronisation (with Outlook and iPhone) is key for me and something WorldMate did well - is there a list of which of alternatives handle this aspect well?
Like others, I have been using WorldMate for going on a decade now and am disappointed to see its demise.

I have been using TripCase for the past month and so far have found it to be a decent replacement for my needs. I live in the Apple ecosystem and use the iOS app on my iPhone 6s and Apple Watch. Calendar sync works well. It does not handle changes in itinerary as well as WorldMate did but does a decent job when I forward emails from the major hotel chains and airlines or sites like expedia or hotels.com.

One major issue is that it creates separate itineraries when I forward hotel and air but it has a "Merge" function that allows me to put them back together. WorldMate did a great job of automatically putting these things together on it's own.
Old Mar 12, 17, 7:38 pm

Used to use WorldMate, but migrated to TripIt about a year ago. I find it serves my needs, and the $50/year for Pro seems like a small price. Additionally, since a number of friends/family/co-workers use it, sharing itineraries is quite easy.

I see a number of people mentioning TripCase. Would love to get feedback on how it compares? I've tried it a few times, but, at least on iOS, it felt less polished than the TripIt app. Anything it offers that would make me want to consider giving up on TripIt?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: