Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

WorldMate is Being Discontinued

WorldMate is Being Discontinued

Old Jan 14, 17, 8:40 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines,Aegean
Devastated ! Have been using for years and now no alternative even being suggested? Tripit and Tripcase had nothing on Worldmate back in the day. Anyone know if they have caught up to Worldmate ?
Old Jan 14, 17, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by roomer View Post
Devastated ! Have been using for years and now no alternative even being suggested? Tripit and Tripcase had nothing on Worldmate back in the day. Anyone know if they have caught up to Worldmate ?
I used Worldmate and Tripit parallel for many years. But stopped using worldmate last year and switched completely to Tripit.

Tripit is in my opinion better to manage all my trips. I can even edit everything on the app, where worldmate had issues. I dont know if they ever caught up to that.

I only used the booking options through worldmate on 2 occasions, so i am not really missing them.

Also tripit is better integrated into other sites.
Old Jan 14, 17, 10:33 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines,Aegean
Originally Posted by N45H View Post
I used Worldmate and Tripit parallel for many years. But stopped using worldmate last year and switched completely to Tripit.

Tripit is in my opinion better to manage all my trips. I can even edit everything on the app, where worldmate had issues. I dont know if they ever caught up to that.

I only used the booking options through worldmate on 2 occasions, so i am not really missing them.

Also tripit is better integrated into other sites.
Thanks N45H, best part for me ( and has saved my bacon a many a time) was highlighting the missing accommodation part. Does Tripit highlight this now?
Old Jan 15, 17, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Zazza View Post
Following to understand what you think is the best alternative. Been using wm for ages. Very sad
So far Tripcase looks just as good in pretty much every aspect. Doesn't have an Android widget though but that isn't a show stopper.
Old Jan 15, 17, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by N45H View Post
Are you using Tripit paid for version or the free version? I was Worldmate Gold but Tripit is just too pricey...
Old Jan 15, 17, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by feival View Post
Are you using Tripit paid for version or the free version? I was Worldmate Gold but Tripit is just too pricey...
I had tripit Pro for the last year and I didn't really use any of the "pro" features.I am basic user now again and its good enough to keep track of my plans and sync it with my calendar. tripit also lets me imort my flights into openflights very easy and integration for logmyflight will come eventually too..

For my points and miles I have awardwallet and the only other nice and import thing are the flight notifications.

In most cases google or the airline itself was faster to notify me than tripit app.
Old Jan 15, 17, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by roomer View Post
Thanks N45H, best part for me ( and has saved my bacon a many a time) was highlighting the missing accommodation part. Does Tripit highlight this now?
It does not, at least not as I am used to it from Worldmate...
Old Jan 15, 17, 12:50 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold
So many questions...here are some answers

Like many, I'm devastated to learn of the death of Worldmate. I'm sure I'll find a replacement, but in the meantime, I'm more annoyed at CWT for pulling the plug with such seeming disdain for the user base, which, they claim is around 10 million users (www.worldmate.com) "10M Business Travelers Rely on WorldMate to take charge of their trips"

Having said that, of the numerous questions posted here in the thread, many of them are answered by Worldmate, albeit it curtly, here: https://worldmate.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Perhaps the number one question is why and here it is:

Why are you closing the WorldMate app?

For the past decade, WorldMate has been privileged to support professionals like you with your ever-evolving needs for business travel. Now our parent company Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT) is giving us the opportunity to try something different: Beginning in January, we will dedicate all of our resources to developing travel solutions for CWT's global corporate clients.

It would be nice if CWT softened the message a little and realized the significant and negative impact this decision has had on its subscribers. Who knows, if enough of us send them a message, maybe they'd make it possible to retrieve our trip history with such manual intervention...or maybe they'll reconsider their overall position?

It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Platinum Prem. Elite, Delta Diamond, United & American nobody b/c who'd ever fly them
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer View Post
I've been using WorldMate since I first had it on a Palm Pilot around 2000/2001. This was a huge sock in the stomach and now I'm left scrambling for something OTHER THAN TripIt.

I'll check out TripCase and Pana, but I guess I'm ultimately wondering why WorldMate didn't offer any alternatives, or solutions, or anything else?

Incredibly sad to see this tool simply end like this.
I will never go back to TripIt. WorldMate was my favorite by a long shot.

That said, Kayak is a close second and is worth checking out. Far better than TripIt and TripCase.
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:10 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Platinum Prem. Elite, Delta Diamond, United & American nobody b/c who'd ever fly them
Originally Posted by redrock View Post
Wondering if they are shutting down completely (firing everyone) or just the App.
They were purchased by Carlson Wagonlit for $20M in 2012.
I have used this for about like 10 yrs. since it was Blackberry Travel.

They should really allow a one time download of all the old data/trips.
The FAQ from the Worldmate team said CWT is redirecting all the Worldmate resources into developing new travel solutions for CWT's corporate customers. Figures.

And as much as I detest TripIt, the corporate pariahs at Concur will undoubtedly reach the same conclusion sooner or later.

TripCase is owned by Sabre, but doesn't have nearly as many features and isn't as reliable. Never seemed much of a priority for Sabre, but then it's competing with Worldmate and TripIt, both of which predated TripCase by many years.

Kayak is pretty close to awesome. I find its UI to be slightly less ideal than Worldmate (it's beautiful, but uses lots of big open white spaces, which = more scrolling). But functionally it's my second choice.

dt
Old Jan 16, 17, 12:20 am

I, like many here, have been using WM since Blackberry Travel and will be sad to see it go. NO love for CWT even prior to this decision.

+1 for Kayak. It's not WM, but it's good enough for my meager needs.
Old Jan 16, 17, 3:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Alternatives

Some reviews here: https://thewanderingengineer.com/201...nd-worldmated/

i've started using Tripcase and Tripit at the same time.

Tripit is the most well known program but I find it way inferior to Worldmate (or at least as others here was very used to WM).

Tripcase seems nice but need to get to know it better.
Old Jan 16, 17, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Posts discussing the Pana Free Travel App were moved to another thread:
TWA884
Posts discussing the TravelMobile app were moved to a separate thread:
TWA884
Old Jan 17, 17, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dgtsf View Post
The FAQ from the Worldmate team said CWT is redirecting all the Worldmate resources into developing new travel solutions for CWT's corporate customers. Figures.
dt
That could be corporate double speak for 'we're firing everyone except one developer'. Just saying..

Anyone with first hand knowledge (direct or indirect) of the organization here ?
Old Jan 17, 17, 10:42 am

There's also a new entrant in the space called Pana. I'm not enthused from first attempts to use it.

[moderator's edit]
I've moved the substance of this post to the thread discussing the Pana app.
TWA884
[/moderator's edit]

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 17, 17 at 11:28 am Reason: Moved post to the Pana thread

Search this Thread
Search Engine: