FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   WorldMate is Being Discontinued (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1813881-worldmate-being-discontinued.html)

pdxasflyer Jan 9, 2017 1:54 pm

I've been using WorldMate since I first had it on a Palm Pilot around 2000/2001. This was a huge sock in the stomach and now I'm left scrambling for something OTHER THAN TripIt.

I'll check out TripCase and Pana, but I guess I'm ultimately wondering why WorldMate didn't offer any alternatives, or solutions, or anything else?

Incredibly sad to see this tool simply end like this.

tgerno Jan 9, 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by feival (Post 27731057)
OK, this isn't ideal but it is possible to get the data out. Best way is to share the old trips with yourself from Worldmate to your email address. Once you receive them, forward to Tripcase. So far this is pretty accurate and does allow you to make edits when required. Not ideal but better than nothing. Will give you something to do in some downtime. So far the main issue seems to be that the city on occasion is mapped incorrectly and Tripcase doesn't know how to handle the former BMI flight codes.

Great tip! I might just share them via email and just archive the email set. Thanks!

tgerno Jan 9, 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by feival (Post 27731057)
OK, this isn't ideal but it is possible to get the data out. Best way is to share the old trips with yourself from Worldmate to your email address. Once you receive them, forward to Tripcase. So far this is pretty accurate and does allow you to make edits when required. Not ideal but better than nothing. Will give you something to do in some downtime. So far the main issue seems to be that the city on occasion is mapped incorrectly and Tripcase doesn't know how to handle the former BMI flight codes.

Which platform did you do this on? I just went to try it and the share option is grayed out for past trips on my iPhone.

vbroucek Jan 9, 2017 4:27 pm

What a shame - I cannot even log in to the desktop version anymore...

redrock Jan 9, 2017 6:20 pm

Wondering if they are shutting down completely (firing everyone) or just the App.
They were purchased by Carlson Wagonlit for $20M in 2012.
I have used this for about like 10 yrs. since it was Blackberry Travel.

They should really allow a one time download of all the old data/trips.

vbroucek Jan 9, 2017 6:24 pm

Not sure about closing completely-even TripCase depends on some of their API.

But the communication is definitely very poor and as I said above, I cannot login to desktop version anymore. Login option is simply missing from the web.

markhaines Jan 10, 2017 2:24 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 27734106)

But the communication is definitely very poor and as I said above, I cannot login to desktop version anymore. Login option is simply missing from the web.

Same here - that's really annoying if it's not going to be possible to export the historic travel data :-(

MikeDLA Jan 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Worldmate has every right to discontinue their service but it's outrageous that they have not bothered to offer users a sunset period to access their travel history (aka Past Trips). I have dozens of trips over more than a decade in their system. At this stage I would settle for taking screen shots of their web pages so I have my records. There is no way to login and access the data. They are not responding to support requests. Their parent company Carlson Wagonlit Travel needs to fix this.

TWA884 Jan 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Moderator's Note:

Posts discussing the Pana Free Travel App were moved to another thread:
TWA884

N45H Jan 11, 2017 8:48 am

I used Worldmate and TripIt for a long time simultaneously but as i got to travel more and more for business i switched completely to Tripit. I just liked their system better and I was able to edit trips and details on the app. For worldmate I had to logi n to make certain changes.
Still sad to see a competitor leave the field. It was fairly easy to get Gold with Worldmate.

MikeDLA Jan 12, 2017 6:31 pm

I wrote to [email protected] and despite an auto-reply telling me that no human support is available, someone wrote back to me a couple of days later and attached an Excel file with my past trip summary. It shows trip names and start and end dates. Each trip has a blue hyperlink which might be intended to show more details (flights etc) but the link asks for authentication and my Worldmate login details were not accepted. This spreadsheet is better than nothing. I assume the people involved in closing Worldmate put little value in users historical trip data. I now wish I had taken screen shots of all of my trips before they closed - but they gave no warning.

feival Jan 13, 2017 1:11 am

Originally Posted by tgerno (Post 27733120)
Which platform did you do this on? I just went to try it and the share option is grayed out for past trips on my iPhone.

Sorry didn't see this post. I used both the web portal (login from PC) and my Android phone. Both the web and Android app show my full 6 year history. The iPad doesn't show the full history, roughly cutting off 5 years ago, and doesn't allow sharing.

Right now I can't login to the web on my iPad but I'll try later from my PC. The Blackberry travel portal is still live and active and can also be used for sharing old trips. Was handy for me!

Also a helpful tip for manually adding old entries when the import may have failed (and confirmed with tripcase support) you can add ground entries and hotels in the past without issue. You can't manually add past flights. I think the few import failures I have had are when the flight code no longer exists. Seems they look up the flight code to populate or validate the data input.

feival Jan 13, 2017 1:21 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 27734106)

I noticed at the bottom of some of my imported trips a Worldmate logo. I guess you have just explained why!

Also the CWT To Go app is clearly based on Worldmate. That is why CWT bought Worldmate. That app has been updated at least monthly whilst Worldmate has been getting annual updates. The writing has been on the wall for a long time!

cferstat Jan 13, 2017 2:22 am

Originally Posted by feival (Post 27753511)
Sorry didn't see this post. I used both the web portal (login from PC) and my Android phone. Both the web and Android app show my full 6 year history. The iPad doesn't show the full history, roughly cutting off 5 years ago, and doesn't allow sharing.

Right now I can't login to the web on my iPad but I'll try later from my PC. The Blackberry travel portal is still live and active and can also be used for sharing old trips. Was handy for me!

Also a helpful tip for manually adding old entries when the import may have failed (and confirmed with tripcase support) you can add ground entries and hotels in the past without issue. You can't manually add past flights. I think the few import failures I have had are when the flight code no longer exists. Seems they look up the flight code to populate or validate the data input.

Also very sad about the loss of my favourite app I was very happy to pay gold for.

Thanks for the suggestion on email / export feival. It would be terrible to lose all this data.

I also confirm that the share option is greyed out on my iphone but still available on my android phone. In case any Worldmate updates for Android arrive, I am planning to complete emailing all of the past trips before applying any updates, just in case it gets disabled there as well.

On my Google Inbox mail I defined a new label (folder) for these worldmate trips and set it to automatically add this label if sent from the [email protected] address. That way they're automatically put neatly into the folder until I can deal with importing them into the next app (want to try a few first).

Happy travels,
Cam

Zazza Jan 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Following to understand what you think is the best alternative. Been using wm for ages. Very sad