FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Does no one have a decent route fare alert feature? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1800357-does-no-one-have-decent-route-fare-alert-feature.html)

jcrist1027 Nov 3, 2016 12:53 pm

Does no one have a decent route fare alert feature?

I can't believe out of the gobs and gobs of airefare search sites no site is capable of allowing you to set far change alerts with the following features:

1) Set for route not a particular flight (most do this, Yapta does only flight)

2) Set for flexible dates - I'm not talking pick a month! I'm talking leave on 4/15 or 4/14 return on 4/20, 4/21, or 4/22. Some sites let you specify day before on departure and day before or after on return, but I've yet to find one that the alert saves the flexible date settings. I thought Kayak would do this since there is a "Create Price Alert" button in the upper left when you do a flexible search but if you go into your alerts and hit the Search button for the saved alerts, it does an exact date search, losing the flexible settings you were using when you saved the alert.

3) Set a target price so you aren't alerted until the fare for that route on any of the possible departure or return dates hits that price or lower. I know my budget and/or what a typical good deal is on the route. I don't want my inbox filled everyday with alerts that the price dropped $10 or $25 but it still above my budget!! I don't HAVE to fly that route on those dates as I may have alerts for other routes on other dates for a vacation. I just want to be alerted when one of the routes hits my budget target. I don't even have to take the vacation at all if the price never falls enough!

Just flabbergasted no site can do all three! Please tell me I'm missed one!

nonstarter Nov 3, 2016 1:27 pm

I too have been surprised by this. Let me add, a useful alert would be able to follow all the filters set in the original search. E.g. I may not care if a cheap flight shows up at 6am on an airline I don't care to fly. With a long layover.

obscure2k Nov 3, 2016 3:51 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, jcrist1027. Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Technology Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

gfunkdave Nov 6, 2016 8:33 am

And I'll move it to Travel Tools.

MasterGeek Nov 16, 2016 4:12 pm

I am also looking for something similar.

Example: setup a fare alert for Toronto to Tokyo for specific dates and their +/- 3 days combination

Btw, I suspect that the more people base their flight purchase decision on fare sales and alerts, the less fare sales we will see from airlines.