Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ITA OnTheFly No Longer Available;
Existing Installations Will Cease Working 31 Dec 2017

Google purchased ITA, and chose to drop OnTheFly. Some functions are failing already, and Google / ITA is no longer supporting the app.

Note for users of OnTheFly:

ITA Software's mobile flight-search app OnTheFly is no longer available and existing installations will no longer work after December 2017. You can still search for flights using ITA's technology here on Matrix. Or try Google Flights on mobile to find the best fares wherever you are.
Originally Posted by sokolov
In the Google forum, ITA Support has replied:

"I am sorry, but we don't have anybody working on OnTheFly anymore. The problems you are experiencing are most likely caused by changes made to other systems that OnTheFly is relying on." <snip>
rt1flea has posted a possible interim workaround to download OnTheFly again if you have had it installed on your iPhone previously in post #15.

Thanks to codyc1515, davedeboston, innesst, rt1flea and sokolov.

Updated 09 Jun 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

OnTheFly ITA Matrix App Gone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Bummer that was a great app! I was just looking for it, and sadly found this thread. I can't even find it in my previously purchased apps anymore.

Anyone found a good replacement? Skyscanner is OK, and better in some ways, but ITA/OtF was awesome at finding things when say, you're stuck somewhere and just want to see what flights are available so you can tell an agent "book me on this next flight!"

Cheers!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Let me repeat Sokolov's post here:
...(let's all) upvote the posting re error messages in the official support forum:
https://productforums.google.com/for...rixandonthefly

To explain for someone who hasn't read it in the main matrix thread: The OnTheFly app has stopped working in parts a few days ago, because Google seems to have changed something in the backend QPX processing and it now throws an error whenever OnTheFly is asking for detailled flight information, thus effectively killing the only unique benefit -- no other app can detail exact pricing (with base fares and taxes).

This would now only be achievable through the matrix itself and on QPX Express.

PS and we know that OnTheFly was scheduled to be shut down end of the year, but losing 8 month is still sad!

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Apr 22, 2017 at 2:54 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Today I noticed on the ONTHEFLY app that once you select flights, the middle tab "FARES" does not populate

So you can't see the fare information.

Just the price.

Anyone else notice this?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Oops just saw the poast above mine....

<deleted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 24, 2017 at 9:13 am Reason: Going OMNI
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:34 pm

It is being discontinued and no longer shows up in searches. Google bought it and they want you to use Google Trips instead (which does show up when you search "on the fly or onthefly). I have it installed on Android and it keeps giving errors, so I thought it needing updating. This is the description:

** IMPORTANT ** OnTheFly™ will stop working December 31st, 2017 ** IMPORTANT **

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for using our app for over 7 years. For great flight search results, use Google Flights (google.com/flights) or the ITA Matrix website (matrix.itasoftware.com)

I should add that Google wants you to use Trips, but that app doesn't have any flight search features. Maybe Skyscanner....

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 30, 2017 at 6:18 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old May 14, 2017, 7:33 am

In the Google forum, ITA Support has replied:

"I am sorry, but we don't have anybody working on OnTheFly anymore. The problems you are experiencing are most likely caused by changes made to other systems that OnTheFly is relying on."

They are simply telling us to pound sand. That's a shame, as I would have been happy to pay a subscription fee for OnTheFly.

Which leads me to the question: What now?
Old May 14, 2017, 12:11 pm

I, too, feel your pain. But there just doesn't really seem to be enough of a market for OnTheFly. Just look how few of the members here upvoted your original request on the Google forum.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:33 am

So what is out there?

Google flights/ITA Matrix/OnTheFly has become useless for price data on Air Canada. They haven't fixed their issues for weeks. I also regularly see fake fares for Delta.

Hipmunk has reduced both​ the depth of their results as well as the operators one can use to tailor the search.

Priceline used to have pages and pages of itinerary options, but it's now giving me the short shrift.

Last edited by sokolov; May 16, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 7:51 pm

Would ExpertFlyer be a suitable replacement? I see it discussed in relation to awards and upgrades, but that's not what I look for often.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:32 am

Not even close. EF is great to look into details of a given route, but for starters it can't look up multiple origin or destination airports, only always one-one.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
Not even close. EF is great to look into details of a given route, but for starters it can't look up multiple origin or destination airports, only always one-one.
What else does ExpertFlyer not do that the ITA Matrix does?
Old May 25, 2017, 7:56 am

Taxes and fees details, it only shows you the base fare
Advanced searching for instance for connections with min. or max layover etc. etc.

Then of course, EF does give you much that the matrix doesn't have:
e.g. Awards & Upgrade search, fare bucket availability, seat maps, seats available, alerts for all that stuff etc.

It's really a very different beast
Old May 25, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
What else does ExpertFlyer not do that the ITA Matrix does?
EF cannot price a ticket: it cannot actually take a fare, parse its rules, search the availability for a given flight, and check whether a fare component could therefore be constructed for a fare over those flights.

They are different products in every respect.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:48 pm

Thank you. That spared me the effort of trying EF.

Though i world be happy to pay a similar subscription fee for an OnTheFly replacement.

Last edited by sokolov; Jul 16, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

A recent question about Google Flights was moved to the following thread:
TWA884

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.