Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ITA OnTheFly No Longer Available;
Existing Installations Will Cease Working 31 Dec 2017

Google purchased ITA, and chose to drop OnTheFly. Some functions are failing already, and Google / ITA is no longer supporting the app.

Note for users of OnTheFly:

ITA Software's mobile flight-search app OnTheFly is no longer available and existing installations will no longer work after December 2017. You can still search for flights using ITA's technology here on Matrix. Or try Google Flights on mobile to find the best fares wherever you are.
Originally Posted by sokolov
In the Google forum, ITA Support has replied:

"I am sorry, but we don't have anybody working on OnTheFly anymore. The problems you are experiencing are most likely caused by changes made to other systems that OnTheFly is relying on." <snip>
rt1flea has posted a possible interim workaround to download OnTheFly again if you have had it installed on your iPhone previously in post #15.

Thanks to codyc1515, davedeboston, innesst, rt1flea and sokolov.

Updated 09 Jun 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

OnTheFly ITA Matrix App Gone?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by rt1flea
I use OnTheFly daily so it definitely still works if you have it.

In my experience I have been able to resurrect purchases of no longer available apps by doing the following.

Open the App Store on you iPhone
Select updates
Scroll to the top and select purchases.
Select not on this iPhone.
Scroll down and look for app and download

This has worked for me in the past with things like the FlyerTalk app for example. Otherwise if you have backed up on a computer you should be able to bring it back and you may be able to find it by accessing your previous purchases on the App Store through the web.
Unfortunately this workaround does not work. The app does not appear in the not on this phone section and not in the on this phone list.

I used Onthefly as recently as
SEVERAL days ago. I tried to access it today and it was completely
GONE from my iPhone. Someone completely without my permission
deleted a working app from my phone.

I called a friend a few minutes ago and it is still working on his phone.

This suggests that Apple perhaps in collusion with
Google has removed an application that was on my phone. It is not
that the application doesn't work, it is simply GONE. Is there anyone else other than Apple than can remove a working app?

if I was a betting man I would say follow the money. Airlines do not want fares
being compared. Google/Apple have to respect their advertising partners.
Hence, no more ONTHEFLY.

<deleted>.

Originally Posted by pduck01
Hello,

Changed my phone and now the ITA Matrix app is gone and I don't see it in the store - where can I find it to bring it back into my life?

Thank you.
ONTHEFLY was REMOVED from my phone without my knowledge and
Without my permission. It worked last Friday and was completely
GONE when I tried it today. No app. No way to recover it. Icon gone. No history of it being on the phone. I have used the app several time a week often several times a day for several years.

Perhaps what we have to do is follow the money!

The airlines have consolidated to give themselves pricing
control. On a recent search using the ONTHEFLY application
every flight from D.C. on every airline on every day of the week
servicing Wichita Kansas was $386.29 RT. Go figure.

What are the odds?

This is airline collusion pricing run amok.

I suspect that airlines do not want this collusion
to be obvious. Hence they're will put presssure on companies
that produce apps where the information is easily viewed.

Google and Apple are beholden to the advertising dollars
the airlines provide. Hence the ONTHEFLY application without
my permission was deleted from my phone. I didn't know that
they could do that. I understand an application that no longer
works but to come on my phone and delete it seems wrong. If
They can do it for ONTEFLY they can do it for any app they don't
Like.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 13, 2017 at 9:54 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Deleted OMNI/PR content
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
JeanJohn, even if a friend of yours still might have the app, rest assured it is not going to work as intended. It might find flights (as do so many other apps from travel agents and price comparison sites), but it won't be able to show the fare details. (something no other app did).
So no reason to cry about it for too long.
And as for Apple and Google, yes they can remove any app from your phone if they wish. If you don't want that, in case of an Android-based system you need to load an independent operating system. (in the case of an iPhone, you won't have a choice)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeanJohn706
Unfortunately this workaround does not work. The app does not appear in the not on this phone section and not in the on this phone list.
OnTheFly is a 32 bit app, which in computing terms means it is rather old. Apple has been removing support for 32 bit apps, starting by removing the old apps from the app store, then with annoying warnings "This app will not work in a future version of iOS", and with iOS 10.3, the iPhone no longer supports restoring 32 bit apps that have been removed.

Originally Posted by JeanJohn706
if I was a betting man I would say follow the money. Airlines do not want fares
being compared. Google/Apple have to respect their advertising partners.
Hence, no more ONTHEFLY.
OnTheFly is a tiny app used by a tiny proportion of the world. Apple doesn't have an "advertising partner". They don't get their money from airlines. You are reading too much into a broad technical decision from Apple plus a commercial decision from ITA. They are free to update their app if they wish—but it doesn't make them any money.

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
(in the case of an iPhone, you won't have a choice)
You could jailbreak it, but from iOS 11 support for 32 bit apps will be removed from the operating system. It is expected that hardware support for native execution of 32 bit code will be removed in the next iPhone.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Calchas
You could jailbreak it, but from iOS 11 support for 32 bit apps will be removed from the operating system. It is expected that hardware support for native execution of 32 bit code will be removed in the next iPhone.
Plus, there is no successful un-tethered jailbreak currently beyond iOS 9.3.3 iirc.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Not even close. EF is great to look into details of a given route, but for starters it can't look up multiple origin or destination airports, only always one-one.
I downloaded kayak thinking it would be a suitable replacement. It's like using a first generation tool. Absolutely awful. It's no wonder the general public is clueless and now we're left with a faulty tool they can't even conduct thorough searches with full results. Anyone else have s replacement?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
It rarely if ever worked on my Android phones, so good riddance.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Anyone else have s replacement?
I just use the usual website, the interface is a bit cramped on my phone (iPhone 6+) but it works well enough.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The problem with Kayak is that it doesn't let you pick flights for each way. It only offers round trips and not every possible combination.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with Kayak is that it doesn't let you pick flights for each way. It only offers round trips and not every possible combination.
Sorry I mean, I use the ITA Matrix website on my phone. Perhaps it helps that my phone is what they call a "phablet".
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:24 am

I would totally pay a subscription fee for an OnTheFly-like app. But it has to search deep and show tons of flghts - quite unlike what OTAs or airlines do.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:24 am

I don't see why you think so. Of course you can search one/way or multiple city itineraries, often even a simple return trip comes back from two different not-interlining airlines as a "hacker fare". What else would you like to see?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see why you think so. Of course you can search one/way or multiple city itineraries, often even a simple return trip comes back from two different not-interlining airlines as a "hacker fare". What else would you like to see?
The option to first pick my outbound and then select my return (separately like ITA's app did) rather than be forced to sort through the various combined roundtrips that Kayak offers. It is not even comprehensive as you can pull up other combinations on ITA's website for the same search.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:09 pm

The option to first pick my outbound and then select my return (separately like ITA's app did) rather than be forced to sort through the various combined roundtrips that Kayak offers. It is not even comprehensive as you can pull up other combinations on ITA's website for the same search.
You can do that, too.
First let all results load.
Then, click on the flight with the outbound you're interested in, so the details open (new, there used to be a "details" button) and choose "select" next to your preferred outbound. Voila.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:06 pm

Hipmunk isn't half bad and they support a subset of the ITA syntax.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Calchas
OnTheFly is a 32 bit app, which in computing terms means it is rather old. Apple has been removing support for 32 bit apps, starting by removing the old apps from the app store, then with annoying warnings "This app will not work in a future version of iOS", and with iOS 10.3, the iPhone no longer supports restoring 32 bit apps that have been removed.
Just a reminder that the just released iOS 11 will render this app, if you still use it, inoperable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.