Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst parts of tripit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Worst parts of tripit?

Hey guys, just curious what you dislike about tripit and what you find really useful?

(I'm considering doing a competing app)
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

When I cancel a booking, I'd like to email the confirming email to Tripit and have it remove that booking. I've tried and it doesn't. I have to do it manually.

When I'm making edits on a lengthy trip, I am taken back to the start of the trip after each edit. I'd prefer to stay on whatever day I've been working on.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
Been using tripit since it launched, long before the Concur buy.

I don't like that it isn't linked automatically with the providers itineraries. I routinely have same day changes of flights which will always end up with Tripit having incorrect info. I know I could forward the change receipt in email but that is an extra step I would like to not deal with. This may work if you use Concur as your booking agent but I don't.

I wish it had more granular sharing features. Being able to share a trip with one person just for that trip and not for my whole list.

The iPad version of the app still has a messed up UI, it always feels like there are better things they could do with the landscape on the larger device.

Wish it could watch and alert for fare class availability, similar to what ExpertFlyer does. Would save me a yearly fee that way.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I have been using TripIt for the past 7-8 years. I like it a lot, but it's far from perfect. TripIt's best feature is the ability to automatically parse confirmation emails and create a detailed itinerary.

Things I like most about TripIt:
  • It's excellent at parsing confirmation emails into editable itineraries.
  • It has both a Web site and an Android app.
  • It automatically monitors the status of my flights and notifies me of many irregularities.

A few things I wish it would do:
  • Automatically monitor not only the status of my flight but of the incoming plane (to help me determine when a flight might be late before it is officially delayed by the airline)
  • Combine duplicate (yet slightly different) itinerary items into one
  • Automatically search for and suggest the most-appropriate alternative flights (for when my flight arrives early or late)
  • Remind me when my flight is close to scheduled boarding time

Some things I wish it would do better:
  • The Web interface is very slow when editing itineraries.
  • The Android app is very limited compared to the Web site.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:07 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I have been using TripIt for more than 4 years, and the last 3 years as a Pro subscriber.

There are two great features of TripIt: ability to automatically parse confirmations e-mail to create the itinerary and events; SMS notifications about delays and gate change.

Good things:
- The parsing is great and very little need to manually edit it
- Notifications for gate changes, delays, connection informations are really useful and saved my ... a couple of times
- The individual item are well presented

Not so good things:
- They are playing with the overall interface and some changes are backward (the current new beta account homepage for example: it has much less informations)
- Very complex ititnerary tends to break
- Bad parsing of AirBnb: TripIt can not see that multiple emails relate to the same stay
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Guys, thank you so much for the feedback. This is by far one of the most useful forums with the most engaged and helpful members I've ever seen.

One more question I have is, there have been a lot of TripIt competitors including WorldMate. How come you guys haven't switched?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jbonne
One more question I have is, there have been a lot of TripIt competitors including WorldMate. How come you guys haven't switched?
I tried out WorldMate and (besides finding it surprisingly lacking in the ability to automatically parse my confirmation emails) found a showstopper related to how WorldMate handles multiple travellers.

Overall, these are the problems I had with WorldMate at the time I last evaluated it in 2014:
  • WM can't handle multiple passengers in an airline booking.
  • WM repeatedly failed to parse ticket numbers, operating airline, price, and booking site details from email confirmations.
  • WM can't store or display hotel check-in and check-out times, making it harder to organize plans in an itinerary.
  • WM doesn't allow use of the International date format (DD-MM-YYYY).
  • WM doesn't support adding Note entries.

I'm glad to see your interest, because although TripIt works well for me, we can definitely use some improvement in this application space.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: MVP Gold
No directions using Google's public transit -- only driving directions, but I almost never drive when I'm traveling!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikew99
I tried out WorldMate and (besides finding it surprisingly lacking in the ability to automatically parse my confirmation emails) found a showstopper related to how WorldMate handles multiple travellers.

Overall, these are the problems I had with WorldMate at the time I last evaluated it in 2014:
  • WM can't handle multiple passengers in an airline booking.
  • WM repeatedly failed to parse ticket numbers, operating airline, price, and booking site details from email confirmations.
  • WM can't store or display hotel check-in and check-out times, making it harder to organize plans in an itinerary.
  • WM doesn't allow use of the International date format (DD-MM-YYYY).
  • WM doesn't support adding Note entries.

I'm glad to see your interest, because although TripIt works well for me, we can definitely use some improvement in this application space.
I completely agree with your last point- TripIt works for me, but competition/more options = richer features, so I'm all for it.

To answer the question, I'll echo what others have said: lately I've had to cancel/modify flights a lot and there's no "easy" way to do this with TripIt - only the manual way. I also find TripIt's "share" feature oddly cumbersome, even for "connections" i've already added.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I wish it would tell me which carousel my bags arrived. I feel like it used to, but stopped completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.