Search

logmyflight.net - New personal flight logger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

logmyflight.net - New personal flight logger

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share with you my new website www.logmyflight.net
In there, you will be able to log your flights to get personal and detailed statistics about your travel history. I guess you've always wondered if you've taken the plane enough to reach the Moon?

This is a similar website than Flightdiary, Flightmemory and OpenFlights, but which probably has a more developed "social" side, with the presence of achievements that you can share, so that you can challenge your friends and family members easily.

I'm just a student and I've been working really hard on this for the past few months. Hopefully you will like it and, of course, any feedback or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Cedric
fsuj25 likes this.

Last edited by logmyflight; Jun 5, 2016 at 3:44 pm
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Hi Cedric

The site looks great, however a few functionality suggestions if I may:
  • Ability to add an airline that's not in your list (perhpas an airline that is no longer trading, or a private airline)
  • Ability to add airports not listed (private airfield)
  • Make Flight number not mandatory, or allow "unknown" as flight may have been taken historically

The biggest suggestion I have is to make the site HTTPS. You are sending this data (including password) in the clear.

Good luck with the site, it certainly has a lot of potential
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:39 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
This looks good. Would you put a fake account for people to see what's the stats and map look like ? That could be a motivator for people to sign up. Entering past flights is tedious and people will not do this work just to see what it looks like at the end, having a teaser view will help you get users.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Hi!

Thank you for the feedback to both of you, I really appreciate it. The website is still young and so am I, I still got a lot to learn.

To FastTrak2Elite

In the list of airlines should already be included the option "private airline". But you're totally right, it would be nice to be able to write your own to personalize the option. I will look into it. I will also look at the flight number, it's true that switching it to a non-required element is something to think about (but as of now, you can write "unknown" as the flight number and it should work just fine).

Adding your own airports is not possible for now, you have to contact the support to have it manually added. The main reason is that in the database is not only the name of the airport, but also the IATA, the country, the location, the timezone, and the coordinates to calculate the distances. I will think of a way to implement an easier way to add your own airport but for now, you have to contact the support.

Switching to HTTPS is a must. For now of course safety protections are included to prevent for example SQL injections and the passwords are stored hashed with a random seed. But I will definitely look into that in the near future!

To fransknorge

That's a nice idea. I thought about sending a CSV file with the activation mail to import it, but it's not a good idea to send files in activation emails. I didn't think about setting up an test account, which would be much easier to implement. I will set this up in the next few days, thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:23 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Good. Here is what FlightMemory does as a preview, to give you an idea of what I had in mind: http://www.flightmemory.com/preview/
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys!

Just a quick update about the latest features I've been implementing in the website.

First, the flight number is no longer required when adding a flight. The option "private aircraft" has also been added, as a temporary solution.

I've also added a "profile" page to see the main features of your account, that you can share easily with your friends. I've also been building a "preview" page with example data as suggested, that you can see at the following address :
http://www.logmyflight.net/preview.php

If you have any other suggestion, do not hesitate to let me know. Cheers!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Hello -

Two questions for you
1. Support for importing files other than flight diary coming soon?
2. Will you answer/support the site going forward?

I ask #2 because the other flight logging sites are horrendous re replying to issues. I gave up on flight diary after cr@ppy importing and no reply from the creators. (e.g., A330 imports as Aérospatiale SA 330 Puma - too many errors to hand fix). Open Flights, while a bit better, has the same issue. Poor/absent replies from the creator. Etc... from other sites. Additionally, while Flight Memory isn't bad and works well, the lack of an export feature makes it a no go.

Lastly, paying the $10 would be fine if I can import and there'll be support (I'd add that I'd pay more or annually or whatever for a well functioning site)

Good luck with this -

Cheers
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

About your first concern, I’ve recently added the possibility to import your flight from OpenFlight as well (for the moment, some bugs might appear though, for example if you use small airports that are not yet in logmyflight’s database. If you have any problem, don’t hesitate to contact me and I’ll see what I can do). I may add the possibility to import from other websites as well, but unfortunately this is not scheduled in the near future.

Of course, I plan to support the site as long as possible. For the moment, it’s still young so I correct small bugs and add new airports to the database almost every day.
In the future, I will continue to respond to the users as much as possible. I’ve been working hard these last few months to create from scratch the website and I don’t plan to leave it any time soon.

If you have any more concern or request, don’t hesitate to let me know. Cheers!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:23 pm

Small peeve: The main image on the home page is 1.2mb. That is ridiculously large, and will negatively impact a customer's perception of your site.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

You are of course completely right, sorry about that.
I've just reduced the size of the main image to about 90Ko, and I will check every picture of the website in the next few days to continue the compression process.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
First comments

Looks good so far. Cheers!
Importing was painless but I am still checking to see how accurate it was

When looking to add/modify an airline, typing the 2 letter code doesn't pull up the airline. I am so used to typing AA or UA or whatever. Not a big deal but something other folks my find makes the system easier to use.

More modifying nits: when I am modifying an entry, the aircraft on record disappears. For example, I just fixed a BA to AA typo (my fault) and the aircraft, B772, ended up blank for what was previously recorded. On a dummy change, the aircraft disappears without making any other changes. Flight class disappears too. Other info might change too I just haven't seen that yet. Modifications via complete/regular version option

Inconsistent aircraft naming. One says 772 while another says Boeing 777-200. Can you maybe add a switch to alternate from 772 to Boeing 777-200 (or whatever?)

One last modifying comment, maybe add a function to modify multiple entries at once without having to go back through the loop. Or maybe this is just me trying to get used to the site and how it works .

Please don't make flight times mandatory. I have flights from up to 10+ years ago that I haven't added to other sites because it is a pain working around departure and arrival times. Having to make up times and then make sure that they work with the site makes for a do not use problem for me ---

Cheers

Last edited by thegrailer; Jul 20, 2016 at 7:18 pm Reason: added stuff
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thegrailer
First comments

Looks good so far. Cheers!
Thanks for the review, I appreciate it!
Unfortunately, for the moment and until the 31st of July, I'm actually on vacations on a zone with bad wifi so I don't have many time and the tools to make big modifications on the website.

When looking to add/modify an airline, typing the 2 letter code doesn't pull up the airline. I am so used to typing AA or UA or whatever. Not a big deal but something other folks my find makes the system easier to use.
You're right, this would be a nice feature. For the moment, I've added the two letter code to the name of the airlines on the "pull list". This means that when typing the code, the airline will show up (but along with all the airlines that have these two letters in their name). I will try to find a better solution later on.

More modifying nits: when I am modifying an entry, the aircraft on record disappears. For example, I just fixed a BA to AA typo (my fault) and the aircraft, B772, ended up blank for what was previously recorded. On a dummy change, the aircraft disappears without making any other changes. Flight class disappears too. Other info might change too I just haven't seen that yet. Modifications via complete/regular version option
That's strange, I had a similar problem before but I made some changes and it seemed to be working fine. A dummy change on my personal flights doesn't result in lost informations on my account for example.To help me find out the problem, could you go back to the modify page of the flight you tried to modify earlier and give me the code that appears in the url (after the "flightid=")?

Inconsistent aircraft naming. One says 772 while another says Boeing 777-200. Can you maybe add a switch to alternate from 772 to Boeing 777-200 (or whatever?)
I'm aware of this problem. This is definitely something I will look into when I have more time.

One last modifying comment, maybe add a function to modify multiple entries at once without having to go back through the loop. Or maybe this is just me trying to get used to the site and how it works
Modify multiple flights isn't an easy thing to implement. What I can (and will) do is to try to find a shortcut to speed up the process. I've just added this to my "to-do" list.

Please don't make flight times mandatory. I have flights from up to 10+ years ago that I haven't added to other sites because it is a pain working around departure and arrival times. Having to make up times and then make sure that they work with the site makes for a do not use problem for me ---
It's not difficult to change this field to a non-mandatory field but it requires some testing before being pushed live, to make sure that it doesn't introduce any bug with the calculation of the duration, for example. I will have a look at this when I get back home as well.

Cheers!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:59 am

Just signed up and added my info from flightdiary. First impression is good!

Few comments:

* I have added some flights which will take place in the future, these are already in the overview (distance flow, number of flights etc) and the site is asking how my flight was. (Remember your last flight?)

* If you add future flights, will the system add the flight registration and other details? Flight registration is for me important as I collect scale models.

*Community/Achievements I would like to suggest to give the stars the color of the status reached, this makes it easier to read.

Last edited by iRobert; Aug 1, 2016 at 4:12 am
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:15 am

Hi Cedric.

The website looks great! It has a professional, modern appearance and is very user-friendly. I'm looking forward to seeing new features as they're introduced, and the fact that you're working on an app is also good news. I also signed up and imported my Flight Diary CSV.

I have one issue which I'm sure won't be difficult to resolve. I regularly fly into (and out of) London Biggin Hill (BQH) which doesn't seem to be in your database, resulting in my imported data containing a lot of errors. I used the form on the website to request that this airport is added, and I'm sure it'll then be easy to remove and re-import the Flight Diary file.

Cheers.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Can someone who signed up tell us if adding flight info is the same as or similar to FlightDiary.net? I used that site for a while but moved on after great frustration when adding flight data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.