Wiki Posts
Search

TripIt Consolidated Help and Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
TripIt Consolidated Help and Information Thread

Just tried Tripit and debating whether to use on an ongoing basis because of the following annoyances. Anyone know if there's a setting I can use to do the following?

1. If my hotel confirmation shows a 2pm checkin, but both my flight arrival and car rental pickup are after this, I'd like the car rental to appear before the hotel checkin.
2. Any way to turn off the car drop off and hotel checkout events from displaying (and thus messing up the order, as noted above)?
3. Any way to show the air arrival as a separate event, but not (as described above), the car drop and hotel checkout?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:59 am

you can edit the checkin time by clicking on Options and then edit.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Yes -- I have an upcoming 10-day trip and ended up having to edit 20 items -- not worthwhile using TripIt if I must do this each time. So there's no setting either to turn off pick-up/drop times and/or car times? Quite surprising that Tripit doesn't automatically recognize that I likely will checkout, then dropoff, then board my aircraft in that order.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Takes you five seconds.

It's a free service.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Yes -- I have an upcoming 10-day trip and ended up having to edit 20 items -- not worthwhile using TripIt if I must do this each time.
I used to have to manage my itinerary manually, entering all the dates, times, and places into my calendar by hand. TripIt takes care of 80% of that.

So while I do end up editing each entry to reflect the actual start/stop times and to enter other information I want to track, it's a lot less work than I had to do before.

Out of curiosity, what were you using before TripIt?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is a minor annoyance of TripIt but one that I put up with for the sake of the other features/benefits it offers. If is really just reading the times from the reservations emails so if you specify the 5pm arrival time in the hotel reservation and the 3pm car pick-up (and if the confirmation email also includes that) then they should show up in the correct sequence.

Kayak Trips does an auto-detect thing where they try to figure it out but I've had just as many problems with that as I have with the TripIt setup. Plus Kayak doesn't have a dedicated app for Trips so using it on the road is rather annoying.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:42 pm

TripIt app

Even if I'm active on FT, I don't fly all that much, and can't justfiy buying TripIt Pro. I like subscribing to the basic to have my itineraries in a consistent display. When I got the app for iPod Touch, as I remember this spring my couple of itineraries appeared easily on the app as they were on the Web. Now I have a trip booked this summer, I have it on TripIt on the Web, but the app, which I've had on with wi-fi, says "No upcoming trips." I reluctantly gave it access to my Gmail with Auto Import, and still nothing even after I had Southwest send the itinerary again, and I've repeatedly refreshed it.

Any advice?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:45 pm

not really sure where you are going wrong ....

the app works the web site, right? You send your plans to [email protected] from the email address you registered with the web site, then you get an email saying your trip is ready, you check it and edit as necessary on the web site, then once that is done, you link the app to your account on the web site with the same email address/password (you only need to do that once, it has to be exactly the same), and it should update with all your trips. Once you have linked the app to your tripit account, it should update whenever you open the app, if you have a wifi connection.

There is no need to give it access to your gmail account unless you wanted to do that.

The only thing pro does over non-pro is that pro will monitor your trips and send you a bunch of notifications about when to check-in, gate announcements, delays, etc. But those are things you can also get directly from the airline also in most cases, if you register for flight notifications with each airline that you fly and make sure the airline knows its you flying on that segment. (by FF# or other registration methods.) If you fly on one airline 99% of the time, pro doesn't do a lot for you. If you frequently fly on different airlines with mixed segments, etc, than pro might be worth it for you. You can get Pro free with a bunch of third party things. (Amex Platinum for example, IIRC.)

-David
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
I've been using TripIt's Auto Import feature since it launched and every now an then (for no explicable reason) it misses a few and I just have to forward them to [email protected]. As for TripIt Pro. I subscribed when my past employer paid for it, but I don't think I'll renew this year since the benefit is so small.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Occasionally when I want new items from the web to show up on my phone before the next scheduled refresh I will have to press the refresh menu selection in the TripIt Android app. Does the iPod Touch have something similar you can try pressing?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Occasionally when I want new items from the web to show up on my phone before the next scheduled refresh I will have to press the refresh menu selection in the TripIt Android app. Does the iPod Touch have something similar you can try pressing?
The touch app has a refresh button in the lower right hand corner. Mine actually updates every time I open it anyway.

Cheers
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by rove312
I have it on TripIt on the Web, but the app, which I've had on with wi-fi, says "No upcoming trips." I reluctantly gave it access to my Gmail with Auto Import, and still nothing
I think there are two separate things involved here:
1. You have a Tripit.com account with itineraries, which means you have a Tripit.com username and password. On the App, you have to enter that Tripit.com username and password so your App knows how to transfer info from the Tripit.com server.
2. You can also give the Tripit.com website your Gmail address AND YOUR PASSWORD which means it will read your emails and attempt to grab things and automatically put them into a Tripit.com itinerary. I don't use that feature, since I don't want them to have access to all my emails and since forwarding to "[email protected]" from my registered email address works well enough.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
i would log into the website to see if they are visible there. if they are, then i would double check that in the app, you are logged into the SAME account. If you are, then they should show up. Does this ipod have internet access when you are accessing it? because it does need to refresh.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:31 am

I dropped the Auto Import through Gmail, since I didn't like it and it wasn't helping. The itineraries have been showing on the Web. On the Web, I had been following the link to login through Google, and I tried logging in directly in case that made a difference, needing to reset the password, since the logical ones weren't working. On the app, which greets me by name, with wi-fi, still nothing; from there I followed the link to the mobile site; it showed my itineraries; but back to the app, refreshing, nothing.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:07 am

open the app, click the little i in the upper left corner, and sign out on that page, then sign back in using your tripit.com website username and password. You can check the other settings there and make sure they are sane.

If that doesn't work, contact tripit support.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.